Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Talking Biochar with Noosa permaculture

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Talking Biochar with Noosa permaculture

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bazmanbazman

Talking Biochar with Noosa permaculture

Date: Thursday 16th September 2010

Note: it’s also the clubs AGM

I’m hoping to have some of my packaged Biochar with me on the night for sale too.

Noosa permaculture: press release.

Although adding compost to your garden is one of the most beneficial and easiest ways to improve your soil and grow the very best plants, especially edibles in your vegetable garden, it is not the only method you can use. At the next Permaculture Noosa meeting on Thursday, 16 September, our Guest Speaker, Barry Batchelor from Black Earth Products will be discussing the use of Biochar, a carbon product that has long term benefits for productive soils.

Barry has been at the forefront of organic Biochar development in Australia and was involved with the very first Biochar conference in Terrigal, NSW in 2007. Barry is an experienced permaculture designer who lives and works from his award winning (2008 Hays Inlet Green gardening Competition winner – First Prize Productive Garden – Moreton Bay Regional Council) organic property. His food gardens and permaculture property are not only his pride and joy, but also his testing ground for Biochar post-processing development. The now black, productive soils bear testament to this work.

In his talk History, Facts and Future of Biochar, Barry not only discusses the home gardener’s use of Biochar, but also describes why it’s such a hot topic in relation to carbon sequestration and combating climate change.

Our second Guest Speaker is Karen McElroy, who will be presenting Herbal Medicine Past & Present as part of National Herbal Medicine Week. Karen is a local naturopath and herbalist and will present a brief history of herbal medicine around the world, as well as covering some basic ways of preparing and using herbs at home.  Being self reliant with medicine & health is just as important as a sustainable food supply in an uncertain future.

National Herbal Medicine Week runs from 13th to 20th September, with events on the Sunshine Coast listed at http://www.nhaa.com.au.

The Permaculture Noosa meeting will be held on Thursday, 16 September at the Memorial Hall, Maple Street, Cooroy from 7pm. This Free meeting is open to the public. All welcome.

edensgateedensgate

Onya Baz!

bushybushy

Good one Baz, wish I was a bit closer I’d be there.

Shangri LaShangri La

Thanks bazman, will note that on my calendar and see if I can get there, might depend on how tired I am as I think I’m doing some work experience that week which could be a big shock to the system.

bazmanbazman

It’s been a long journey to get this far and I get the feeling it’s just really starting… I’m sure you remember that trip of mine down to Terrigal Bushy, it was nice spending a couple of days at your beautiful place.

I’m used to talking to chickens and fruit trees not people these days, lol.

bazmanbazman

Bump as it’s on tonight, see you there if your coming along. 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.