Aussies Living Simply

Table ducks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca

I’m wanting to replace my bantam saxony ducks with something more useful for meat. The bantams are mega-cute and breed like sparrows, but they’re too small to get a decent meal from and having to clip their wings is a pain.

I have a Pekin female who we’ll be keeping, and I’m considering getting another Pekin girl and an Aylesbury drake, as I’ve read that the Pekin/Aylesbury cross is the most common meat breed used in Australia. Does anyone have any experience with this cross, or suggestions for another breed that isn’t too hard to get hold of? They need to get along with chickens and toddlers. The only breed I’m excluding from consideration is muscovies, as I don’t find them at all endearing.

roundthebend

I have pekin now but also had some ruen(sp?) and the cross breds grew quick and meaty by 8 weeks.

Bubba Louie

I had two pet muscovies as a kid and they were lovely.

Kaff

I’m with you on the muscovies, I don’t like them much at all and I love animals! Still, they are very hardy so they make good ducks for children or people new to poultry. They are just, well, charmless.

The bantams of all breeds & species are mega-cute, and so is your avatar! But for meat, yes, not much there, is there?

I suggest you contact Lucky1 from this site, PM her or look at her blog. She breeds ducks as do many others. Someone else is bound to be along shortly to help. You could also try http://www.backyardpoulty.com although I haven’t used it for ducks. It often has poultry for sale so you might find some in your area.

osakasuz

Can I ask, while we are on the subject of ‘table ducks’, what would be required to keep ducks? I presume a pond, and a house but what are the actual details?

jaymes

a bath tub is fine for a pond, other than that, much the same as chooks really

grumpy3

I tried a couple of ducks at the table once but they are messy eaters so did not give them another chance.

Dennis

Tullymoor

:lol::hug::lol:

Huxter09

Have a look at this site –they grow turkeys and ducks etc in Atlanta Georgia USA -.Have some intersting observations at times and good photos

http://www.naturesharmonyfarm.com/grass-fed-meat-farm-blog/rss.xml

osakasuz

Thanks!

Rebecca

Elizabeth, I’m glad you’ve liked the khaki campbell crosses, because I’ve found some locally and hopefully I’ll be getting a pair next week. They sound like not a bad option. I’ve also found someone with Aylesburies who said she’ll let me know when she has some available. I think I’ll play around with crosses and see what works best.

I use a clam shell pool for my ducks. It’s always full and I scrub it out and refill it 2-3 times/week. They free-range in my yard so I don’t have to do much for them. They’ll be very happy ducks when the wet weather sets in and the worms start to come to the surface!

Rebecca

Woo-hoo! Two gorgeous little bantam saxonies just ran out into the yard behind their mother :hug:

Two eggs left behind, which I popped under my eternally broody silkie just in case. I doubt they’ll hatch but they deserve another day just to be sure.

Only two babies is disappointing. There were at least 8 eggs when she started sitting, and 6 a week ago. Three days ago there were 5, today only 4. I haven’t found any egg remnants, and the duck hasn’t been frightened off the nest, so what happened to the rest? :shrug: What would take one egg at a time but not disturb the duck enough to make her abandon the nest?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.