Aussies Living Simply

Sustainable firewood collection

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Tutorials Sustainable firewood collection

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    SnagsSnags

sad news in Greece as they illegally chop down the forests to keep warm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/28/greeks-forests-fuel-winter-nears

BobbeeBobbee

Thanks for that link, horrifying reading though it is!

TEOTWAWKI ???????

Another wake up call do you think, but will anyone hear it!!!!!

trandtotrandto

Snags post=353696 wrote: sad news in Greece as they illegally chop down the forests to keep warm

As in Australia, here and here and here

I could go on…

DottyDotty

I like the use of rocket mass heaters.

On the timber front I like the thicker walled bamboo with a fair amount of length between the nodes.

Why bamboo?

Well it has so many uses and produces abundant amounts of combustible bio-mass quickly.

Why chop down valuable trees which tend to take a long time to grow?

Why not leave them in the landscape and grow and harvest bamboo for heating esp. when used in conjunction with a rocket mass heater.

Le LoupLe Loup

I must admit that I am not really into technical thinking. People ask me a lot of questions about how to do this & that, especially when it comes to muzzle-loading guns. My main concern is that something works & works well, I am not concerned with ballistics & other technical aspects. As for firewood, we live in a forest, & we use whatever dead trees we find regardless of what they are.

The difference between soft woods & hard woods is not that simple, pine for instance is not necessarily a soft wood, & Yellow Box is not necessarily a hard wood, if you want to get technical. I hate getting technical.

Regards, Keith.

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.