Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

sustainable alternatives to carpet on cement slab

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Reduce, Reuse, Repair, Recycle sustainable alternatives to carpet on cement slab

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    gleanertgleanert

Hi there, what would be some sustainable alternatives to carpet on a cement slab?

Are they all expensive options?

Anyone have any ideas or have alternatives in their home – ?jute flooring covering is one I have heard of but don’t know about it and its probably very expensive.

All ideas welcomed!

gleanertgleanert

Any alternatives not just sustainable! 🙂

Would like to know peoples preferences etc..

vickivicki

Are cork tiles an option? I don’t have them, but I have been thinking about doing an area. Easy to clean, warm to walk on (as opposed to tiles) and I’m guessing a renewable resource. Used to be cheap in the ’80’s but haven’t checked out recently.

I’m going to look into cement polishing when I move as I hate carpeting and tiles seem a waste when there is already a perfectly good surface there already. I’m interested in this topic as well as any carpet in my new (old) home is going to be use to solarise my veggie gardens (This is all theory as I’ve only read about it.) and I’ll need to do “something”.

CJ

gleanertgleanert

I think cork would be great but I have no idea about cost etc..

I totally agree with you ‘starting over’ – I hate smelly carpet too – whats cement polishing ? gee, that would make my task of ripping up the smelly carpet in the lounge alot easier and cheaper if I could just have the cement. But can this be done?? I could just put some rugs down….

Is the cement polishing just to make the surface smooth for walking-on and liveability reasons?

edensgateedensgate

I have had cork floors before and loved them. They do need sealing with polyurethane though – as does polished concrete – so not entirely ‘sustainable’ or fume-free!

Have also lived with jute flooring and it’s pretty good. Can be a dust-mite trap tho’.

Was going to suggest lino. Like cork, it can be quite soft and warm underfoot and it’s easy to clean. Can be used in any room of the house and these days you can get any colour or pattern that takes your fancy.

edensgateedensgate

Polishing concrete is quite a process by the way – and very expensive. The results can be quite beautiful though.

gleanertgleanert

🙁 Just when I was loving the idea of cement polishing – but can it be more expensive than carpeting?

Would I need to polish the cement at all? Could i just put some rugs down?

Hmmm, maybe lino sounds like a good option .

I was thinking of polishing the cement as a way of getting rid of any residue after having years of carpet and then maybe adding some sort of colour to the final lacquer type coat. If it can be done.

CJ

GrethGreth

I am currently making a rag rug for the new shed. One of my shirts has already done 20 years service as a shirt, now setting out on a new 10 year career!

Pretty sustainable considering the amount of unwanted cloth out there which may as well be used!!

Anything in our rag bag is beyond salvage, and even the opshop wouldn’t look at it!

murphyslawmurphyslaw

I painted my slab. The house was not finished but as an owner builder I was living in it. The concrete seemed to exude dust, it drove me mad. I was working for a paint company and they let me take home some paving paint left over from a job. Later on when I wanted to put some slate down, I found I couldn’t do it without completely stripping all the paint off. A painted surface compromises anything that requires glue. So I just repainted it and then, 10 years later, repainted again.

3 coats of paint in 26 years.

If I was doing it again, I would add concrete dye to the original slab in say a nice ochre color and then it would be maintenance free for life, (and put rugs down in judicious positions)

adubadub

gleanert post=299838 wrote: 🙁 Just when I was loving the idea of cement polishing – but can it be more expensive than carpeting?

There are lots of different ways to get a great floor from a concrete slab, not just wet polishing.

Depending on the quality of your existing slab there are lots of options for sealing your concrete. It might benefit from a grind, but as I assume you’ve just got a standard old grey concrete slab with blue metal aggregate grinding isn’t necessarily required. Grinding is more used for coloured concretes with special aggregates.

If you have a fairly sound slab and are happy with the grey colour you could simply clean and seal with something like Dulux Luxafloor, or Bondall. You can stain the concrete before application of these if you want some colour, or add a tint to the sealer.

You could also look at Porter’s Paints Concrete Wash or for other finishes look at Concrete Colour Systems Galaxy Epoxy or Rembrandt finishes.

gleanertgleanert

murphyslaw post=299848 wrote: I painted my slab. The house was not finished but as an owner builder I was living in it. The concrete seemed to exude dust, it drove me mad. I was working for a paint company and they let me take home some paving paint left over from a job. Later on when I wanted to put some slate down, I found I couldn’t do it without completely stripping all the paint off. A painted surface compromises anything that requires glue. So I just repainted it and then, 10 years later, repainted again.

3 coats of paint in 26 years.

If I was doing it again, I would add concrete dye to the original slab in say a nice ochre color and then it would be maintenance free for life, (and put rugs down in judicious positions)

Hmmm, do you have any photos ? this sounds promising. So I wonder if there is no glue under my old carpet now I could just clean the cement with soapy water and then paint?

So I don’t need to seal it?

Murphyslaw did you only use one coat of paint and no sealer?

gleanertgleanert

adub post=299854 wrote:

🙁 Just when I was loving the idea of cement polishing – but can it be more expensive than carpeting?

There are lots of different ways to get a great floor from a concrete slab, not just wet polishing.

Depending on the quality of your existing slab there are lots of options for sealing your concrete. It might benefit from a grind, but as I assume you’ve just got a standard old grey concrete slab with blue metal aggregate grinding isn’t necessarily required. Grinding is more used for coloured concretes with special aggregates.

If you have a fairly sound slab and are happy with the grey colour you could simply clean and seal with something like Dulux Luxafloor, or Bondall. You can stain the concrete before application of these if you want some colour, or add a tint to the sealer.

You could also look at Porter’s Paints Concrete Wash or for other finishes look at Concrete Colour Systems Galaxy Epoxy or Rembrandt finishes.

Thanks Adub and welcome!

Would soapy water be okay to clean? Although I’m not sure if under the carpet would be some glue product and may need something stronger – or could I paint on top of the glue (would give it some texture look perhaps) 🙂

murphyslawmurphyslaw

Hi, the first time it was just one coat of paint. I just swept the floor and using a long handled roller, rolled everything in a day.

That lasted about 5 years. The second time, a friend and I handpainted aboriginal designs everywhere, it took a week and a lot of red wine too. I wish I had photos of that.

It lasted about 10 years. The third time again I just put on one coat. That was about 10 years ago now. The old aboriginal designs are starting to show through the top coat but it still looks kind of OK and I have no plans for repainting in the near future. Each time I used paving paint, but no sealer. The second and third times I scrubbed the floor with sugar soap before painting.

I’ll post a photo of the current floor tomorrow

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.