Aussies Living Simply

Survival weapon for hunting.

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Survival weapon for hunting.

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    roadwarriorroadwarrior

Sprite: You are spot on. Couldn’t agree with you more. But I think three meals away from savages is being too generous.

SBS had a documentary on this week called The Truth About Violence. They did a fantastic recreation of an experiment from the 60’s/70’s where subjects were told they were participating in an experiment on how to educate people using punishment. The punishment was in the form of electric shocks that would increase in voltage each time the other “subject” got a question wrong, all the way up to a lethal voltage.

The people pushing the button were just ordinary citizens; one was a middle aged mom and another a 19 year old female student. 9 out of the 12 participants went all the way up to a lethal voltage, including the mom and the student, even though they could hear the other person screaming in pain and begging for them to stop.

Of course the other person wasn’t really being shocked, but they didn’t know that until after the experiment was completed.

The Professor in the experiment barely had to do anything to get them to continue if any of them protested. He’d just say “It’s part of the experiment, you must continue.” Not yelling or screaming at them to push the button.

9 out of 12 were prepared to kill the other person because they felt they could blame the professor for the death. they didn’t even show any remorse when they thought the person had died.

One of the few people who refused to continue with the experiment said it was the same as Nazi Germany when soldiers and commanders used the excuse that they were ordered to slaughter countless millions of Jewish men, women, children and babies.

I don’t think we’re even three meals away from being savages. I think 9 out of 12 people are already there.

I recognised a long time ago that I am only human as well, just like anybody else. I like to think of myself as a pacifist, yet I still understand my own potential for violence. In fact I take it very seriously and have come to understand that it is far better to avoid any situation that can lead to violence in the first place.

People get frustrated with me when I simply walk away from a raging argument. I feel my blood boil and I can feel the rage wanting to take over and commit violence, so I just walk away and calm myself. Sometimes I have to walk or drive a long way because the other person wants to keep going and pushing the situation to a violent conclusion.

I can honestly admit I have never once committed a violent act against another person, and I never wish to.

So leading back to the Topic…one of the main components of survivalism is to be prepared so you aren’t three meals away from being a savage. Having a stockpile of food or owning guns to hunt and for protection are responsible ways to avoid violence, rather than being down at the supermarket in a knife fight for the last remaining can of baked beans.

rw

grumpy3grumpy3

roadwarrior wrote:

I recognised a long time ago that I am only human as well, just like anybody else.

rw

😮 That must have come as a big shock to find out you were human :uhoh: I know it did for me. I always thought these others were a different species and sometimes still do when looking and listening to politicians. But I do agree with you and how humanity acts when all moral reasoning is thrown out the door.

Dennis

BullseyeBullseye

I caught only bits of that documentary here and there, wish I recorded it.

I vaguely recall a point was made that human babies are born with or quickly develop (I can’t recall exactly as I was preoccupied with something else) aggressive behaviour. A speaker went on to say something like, passive behaviour or controlling that aggressive behaviour is learned. Later on there was a statement made about how much control each of us as adults are able to place on or quell the inner aggression that each of us have in varying levels.

Please correct me if I’m wrong in any part of what I described.

What I saw of the documentary was really interesting I hope I can catch it some other time.

BullseyeBullseye

When a situation arises or is created (through psychological research) where a precious resource like food or something else that is perceived as essential becomes rare, in group and out group prejudices quickly arise. In group and out group prejudices include racial, religious, national, neighbourhood, family… Merely a suggestion or lie being told can enact prejudice behaviours for survival of your in group.

grumpy3grumpy3

RW, Even though I am well trained in all areas of hunting plus I have a question for you that my son asked last night. His mate lives about four klms further back in the bush from us and quite often he rides his bike over there after dark. He asked what do I do if a BLACK CAT/ PANTHER decides to attack me while riding my bike at night. Keep in mind he knows what they are because he and his sister were chased by one while bike riding mid morning about six years ago. He has been tying a machette on the bike but that might not be a good idea.

Other than a bowl of milk to offer it I am not sure what to tell him.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Common sense would suggest not to ride the bike at night. I’m not sure if tying a machete to a bike would be safe, especially considering the potential to impale himself if he fell off. Plus I don’t think you could get away with carrying a machete in more citified areas of the country.

Having said that, a sharp machete is the perfect weapon for taking on a large aggressive animal. I have a Gerber Gator Jr and would recommend it in this type of situation. The quality of the steel is questionable (bit too soft and thin for my liking) but it has a great grip and feels good in the hand.

An alternative is a knife like a Kabar, with options for a full sized fighting knife or a short fighting knife (lighter and less conspicuous).

The exchange rate is good and I’ve imported all these knives recently so customs isn’t a problem.

Just make sure you still adhere to your state knife laws when taking on this big cat. It’s one thing to protect yourself, and it’s another to wind up in gaol.

grumpy3grumpy3

Sort of my ideas as well, The area where we are is semi rural so houses spread out a bit. I think if these critters wanted to kill you there would not be a big chance of survival. Unless like the truck driver in Canada that had a cougar grab him by the shoulder and start draging him away. He was wearing a knife and managed to open the cougars gut and it lost a lot of interest then.

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.