Aussies Living Simply

Survival weapon for hunting.

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Survival weapon for hunting.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    BullseyeBullseye

roadwarrior wrote:

If you buy the right type of gun, stainless steel or nickel plated, they will last several generations without any breakages. Plus with the affordability of .22 ammo it’s not hard to stockpile enough for several generations too. A brick of .22 ammo (500 rounds) costs about $40.

.223 and 12 gauge rounds are more expensive, from $0.50 to $1+ per round. Harder to stockpile them but one bullet can bring down enough meat to last a family several weeks or more.

Modern bows take significantly more maintenance and parts to keep in working order than probably any other weapon. But they are good if you can’t get a firearm licence. No licence required for bows.

.22 and .223 rifles, fish traps and a good selection of knives would be my lot for survival. I’ll be eating like a king while the gatherers and gardeners are starving.

rw :metal:

Adding to this info, some of the ammo, i.e. .223 can be reloaded.

BugeyeBugeye

Spot on grumpy chickens and goats, chickens can be easily penned and goats tied in a pinch, and sorry I didn’t really address the subject of the thread.

You got me thinking though and I think a woomera and spears would be best for bush hunting, ammo can run out guns can fail bows are hard to constuct and arrows are harder to recover than spears, with practice a spear thrown with a woomera can be very deadly at a reasonable distance.

Traps are a good idea as anything can be trapped by a forward thinking person including other people.:D

Fishing is ok the barramundi up here are delicious and easy to catch with live mullet caught in a cast net, my biggest barra was 95cm however where there are barra there are crocs so fishing from the bank alone is a no no.

I would avoid all conflict if possible any injury could be a serious matter without access to medicine’s.

Bug

MetuMetu

I think the only reason people would come to steal your food, is if it wasn’t made available in the first place.

It’s funny how we can take “food” out of the wild and it’s not considered stealing, but if someone was to take that food off us afterwards, it is considered stealing. Ownership is strictly a human trait, in the wild, every animal lives so another can survive too.

Likewise, I believe we can reason with other humans. Take away their hunger and promise to feed them again and you’ll have a willing army of workers – not theives and maurauders.

On the whole, a human will choose order instead of chaos if their basic needs can be met. Create a structure of order where people can see a benefit, and people will flock to add their assets instead of taking with their weapons.

I believe the greatest asset will be other human beings.

Metu wrote:

Likewise, I believe we can reason with other humans. Take away their hunger and promise to feed them again and you’ll have a willing army of workers – not theives and maurauders.

On the whole, a human will choose order instead of chaos if their basic needs can be met. Create a structure of order where people can see a benefit, and people will flock to add their assets instead of taking with their weapons.

I believe the greatest asset will be other human beings.

I don’t think that is the case, I don’t think reason is a large part of the human psyche, hence the reason we have had countless wars over the ages, and the reason, just about all wars in history can be boiled down to three basic reasons. More power, more land or more wealth.

I think no matter the situation you create, there will always be someone who thinks they can do it better, or want what you created, and in a possible situation with no law, force will win.

JanineJanine

I think one of the most basic weapons of survival that we are overlooking is education, traps and snares need to be made, and if you do indeed head bush with some small animals which I think is an excellent idea you will need to be able to eat in the mean time while you get your homestead set up. This has made me realise that in my book collection I do not have one on basic wilderness skills, although I spent much time in the bush with my father as a child who was a true bushman he died at 11 and many of the skills he could have passed on I was deemed too young to learn.

I am off to investigate woomeras.

Peak oil being a major threat to society today will need to be carefully watched, will it indeed surface overnight or be a slow decline?

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Reid_alderbooks wrote:

I think no matter the situation you create, there will always be someone who thinks they can do it better, or want what you created, and in a possible situation with no law, force will win.

Agreed. Sorry Metu, but what you talk about only exists in fantasy. Reality is much harsher and more painful than that. 🙁

grumpy3grumpy3

Bugeye, Good thinking and my thoughts are having a varity of ideas of weapons at hand. I think a 22 would be ok mainly because of the extra weight of ammo for bigger cal. I have taken most game with a 22 and in a survival situation its better than none. But saying that the idea of a bow, spear, throwing stick, fish traps etc would all play a big part. I have hunted with all types of guns and some of the most interesting was hunting pigs with black powder muzzle loaders.

If one found themselves in a position where they had to go bush because of anyone of a number of issues. The idea of chooks and goats could be a problem to get there unless it was well planed in advance. I think the idea is good but thinking how it could be done if one was on foot. A bag of survival seeds would be a good idea as well because one would never know how long they would be in that position.

This is where a whole varity of old skills could be handy and not just for hunting but just general survival.

Dennis

MetuMetu

Agreed. Sorry Metu, but what you talk about only exists in fantasy. Reality is much harsher and more painful than that.

It wasn’t pure fantasy that allowed you to make that statement, it was the freedom you inherited from others’ sacrifices in the past.

It is true, the reality of fighting for freedom is much more harsher and painful than you or I, have ever had to sacrifice in our lifetimes. And if Peak Oil becomes a reality, it will be up to you and me to ensure the fight for freedom continues.

We can choose to do that with a weapon in our hands, keeping others away from our food supply – or we can think like some of our ancestors did, and dream about freedom for more than just the powerful.

Of course it doesn’t make sense, but then neither does a thinking animal that chose to distinguish itself from the natural world of merely death and survival. We became more than a thinking animal however, we also became able to feel for one another.

I know this stream of conversation is taking on a different tangent than the original post, but if we don’t take the skills of morality with us (if or when Peak Oil happens) then we are no better than the animals we kill for our survival.

Are we just going to wait until we’re safe and full, to start being a moral society again? Pure fantasy becomes our reality, because we have the power to make it happen. If you have your freedom to think, then you have inherited it from the people (and their societies) who went before you.

It would be good to start preparing our hearts as well as what we will be filling our stomachs with, don’t you think?

We haven’t achieved world peace yet, and we have been at it for last 10,000 or so years.

grumpy3grumpy3

Ok the idea of this thread was just how we could cope in the bush in a survival situation. Do we have the skills to do so and if we don’t maybe they could be added to the field days or study programs. Some of us do have these skills I know but how about those that don’t and want to learn. If possible get a group together in your area and train them. Not only in Hunting but all the other skills needed to survive in what is called post oil. The more people that can survive in this situation the less there will be likely to take it off you.

Dennis

BullseyeBullseye

Hunting in another person’s, or another group’s, tribal area would be considered stealing.

I’m sure conflict has occurred countless times on that issue.

BugeyeBugeye

Quiet goats can be used as pack animals.;) They can carry the chickens.:lol:

Do we have the skills to do so and if we don’t maybe they could be added to the field days or study programs. Some of us do have these skills I know but how about those that don’t and want to learn. If possible get a group together in your area and train them. Not only in Hunting but all the other skills needed to survive in what is called post oil. The more people that can survive in this situation the less there will be likely to take it off you.

Thats a great idea grumpy, I’ll provide a link where people can download millitary manuals for free. There are survival manuals that could be usefull.

http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm

JadeJade

I’d put my hand up to learn! Does anyone know of anyone that can teach in the Brisbane area? I’ll read everything I can from books, the net (and forums like these) but I’d also like to get some hands on experience.

Better go look up this Peak Oil thing too.

Not to take this off-topic but it’s so good to find people interested in this topic. I think my boyfriend and friends think I’m a bit crazy 😆

What kind of animals are out in the bush that we can catch and eat anyway? Rabbits and kangaroos? What’s the best way to hunt them?

MetuMetu

The lack of peace is all the more reason to pursue it. :tup:

The more people that can survive in this situation the less there will be likely to take it off you.

Wouldn’t that be limited to ALS members reading this discussion, and people who share similar interests on other forums or community groups? The people without those interests are still going to be looking for food.

But I take the hint. 😉 Back to topic. :hug:

What kind of animals are out in the bush that we can catch and eat anyway?

Whenever we dig in our backyard, there are always big grubs around eucalyptus tree roots. Even a termite mound would provide a good source of protein.

We also get wild quails and hares. Although I haven’t put them on the menu yet – I wouldn’t know where to begin. Which is what this disucssion is all about. :tup:

grumpy3grumpy3

Metu wrote:

The more people that can survive in this situation the less there will be likely to take it off you.

Wouldn’t that be limited to ALS members reading this discussion, and people who share similar interests on other forums or community groups? The people without those interests are still going to be looking for food.

But I take the hint. 😉 Back to topic. :hug:

I don’t see that we have to limit it to just ALS people, It could be a way of reaching a lot of people about the problems facing this planet. We don’t have to present doom and gloom but just good facts. Ask the questions and have an answer ready. A lot of people know how to go fishing but what hppens when all that good gear is not available. What if the bloke down the road with all the veggies growing has 50 armed relatives living with him.

Thats when its best to have the knowledge yourself and now is the best time to learn. We read on ALS of transition towns and training, well think of this as an extension. I believe this is for everyone.

Dennis

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.