Aussies Living Simply

Survival weapon for hunting.

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Survival weapon for hunting.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    JadeJade

I would love to learn to hunt and how to kill an animal humanely, as well as how to make the most of it so it doesn’t go to waste. I don’t know how well I’d go though as I have too much empathy for my own good, but still.. if I needed to feed my family, I’d do it. I don’t know what weapon I’d use.

I don’t really eat fish or know how to prepare them for cooking. But if anyone wants to teach 🙂 I think my problem is being too squirmy to even put bait on the hook. I never considered myself to be a girly girl until it comes to touching fish and worms and the like. :shy:

NimrodelNimrodel

So far we have a centrefire and a rimfire, plus a recurve bow which I am learning to use decently but it is only a 30lb-er. Once my aim and form is good I will probably get a higher poundage compound. The guns are good short term, but by having the bows and getting proficient with them we have a back up option in the case of unavailability of ammo. I also like the idea of learning to use a spear and throwing knives and have a couple of books with info on trapping. I have and can fish, but would only eat seafood if there is absolutely nothing else left to eat :rip:

Jade wrote:

I would love to learn to hunt and how to kill an animal humanely, as well as how to make the most of it so it doesn’t go to waste. I don’t know how well I’d go though as I have too much empathy for my own good, but still.. if I needed to feed my family, I’d do it. I don’t know what weapon I’d use.

I don’t really eat fish or know how to prepare them for cooking. But if anyone wants to teach 🙂 I think my problem is being too squirmy to even put bait on the hook. I never considered myself to be a girly girl until it comes to touching fish and worms and the like. :shy:

where do u live jade?

grumpy3grumpy3

Its all a learning experience and girls us blokes have jobs we have to learn as well. I remember the first time I took the wife down the pistol range and she had never held a hand gun before. I showed her what to do and put 5 in a 44 mag and she got 3 bulls eyes first time. I told her not to worry about joining the club. :uhoh:

But yea its only pratice and the skill gained in what ever area of hunting or fishing. Its also the food you are going to eat or not eat. :tup:

Dennis

JadeJade

stark3 – I live in Brisbane

Dennis – that’s awesome about your wife! I was in the cadets as a teen so had plenty of experience camping and the like. I’ve shot a few guns, never a pistol though – I love it and would love to join a club sometime, even if it’s just for sport.

JanineJanine

I think guns are a short term survival solution, unless you have an endless supply of parts and ammo, fish hooks are fairly easy to work up to a lifetime supply, but you can make fish traps, rabbit snares in front of their burrows and sling shots are an excellent tool. Eels are also easily caught when the rivers are low in pools if your quick and the thought of a very squirmy opponant does not put you off.

Ideally I would grow all I could, keep hens and rabbits and go hunting for variety.

Cross bows are an excellent weapon, but I would keep that one for personal protection than for hunting. I think by using snares and homemade traps and sling shots and that one that has three stones ona length of string puts you in touch with your pray, there is a distance between that target and that trigger.

Just my two cents,

billbill

I remember reading in a richard leaky book (can’t remember the title) that hunting gathering societies rely very heavily on grains, fruits, tubers, etc, mostly gathered by the women of the tribe. This is because hunting is energy intensive and not “every day reliable”. If I remember correctly meat from hunting was at best every third day. So I would like a lot of knowledge and some good digging equipment.

JanineJanine

Yes I think your are very right there Bill, I think hunting or checking the snares would be more of an excuse to get out of weeding the potatoes than a sure deal.

Cheers,

grumpy3grumpy3

It looks like a weapon is a must but no less than the knowledge and ability to collect and grow veggies and fruit. Its been interesting seeing the views of other people but generally they are much the same.

Because of what maybe coming it looks like having a good store of supplies, food,seeds, tools, weapons, and knowledge. Will be a must and from there we can share and swap etc etc.

Dennis

BugeyeBugeye

In a true survival situation, with the population level now people would be your worst enemy, hungry angry people who would kill you for your food. I suspect that it would be best to stay away from people, so using a gun for hunting I would not, I would keep all available ammo for self protection, those without a gun, should stay away from people they don’t trust. If you have a lot of stuff eg, fruit tree’s, chickens, goats, vege’s ect. I would imagine you would become a target for people to help themself to your stuff. It’s sad but there is always a percentage of people that would rather take your stuff than do things for themself. to stop these people one would need to be ruthless at the least.

Actually I don’t think I would even sleep in my house in a true social breakdown survival situation, you can rule out guard dogs because they can be easily taken care of with baits ect. , I only have myself and my 18 year old son to worry about. I would go bush with a few small animals, just to keep me goin till I got set up in the scrub, at least any people you may come accross in the bush would most likely be like minded and want to just stay away from you, in the fringes of city’s would be a very dangerous place.

Someone once said the most complicated thing a person will ever have to deal with is another person.

Lets hope it never comes to that, I kinda like it the way it is, I just wish all the money mongering greedy people a quick and painless passing if it does happen.

Cheers

Bug.

PS I don’t have a gun. 🙁

grumpy3grumpy3

I believe what you say makes a lot of sense and lets hope it does not come to the nasty side of things. 🙁 But I am going to be watching very carefully anyway because it may sneak up on us. History has proven we are top be on guard and prepared. :uhoh:

Dennis

roadwarriorroadwarrior

If you buy the right type of gun, stainless steel or nickel plated, they will last several generations without any breakages. Plus with the affordability of .22 ammo it’s not hard to stockpile enough for several generations too. A brick of .22 ammo (500 rounds) costs about $40.

.223 and 12 gauge rounds are more expensive, from $0.50 to $1+ per round. Harder to stockpile them but one bullet can bring down enough meat to last a family several weeks or more.

Modern bows take significantly more maintenance and parts to keep in working order than probably any other weapon. But they are good if you can’t get a firearm licence. No licence required for bows.

.22 and .223 rifles, fish traps and a good selection of knives would be my lot for survival. I’ll be eating like a king while the gatherers and gardeners are starving.

rw :metal:

grumpy3grumpy3

Bugeye. What would you include in those few small animals that you would take with you into the bush. eg. Chickens, goats.

Dennis

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Bugeye wrote:

In a true survival situation, with the population level now people would be your worst enemy, hungry angry people who would kill you for your food…etc etc

Glad to see at least one person has been listening to me.

But this doesn’t mean we all have to turn into gun-loving nutjobs. But if you are the type of person who abhors violence and you want to stick to more “holistic” methods of survival, you’ll have to find someone with some steel to protect you or form a community so it’s protection by numbers.

This may mean trading some of the food you grow for protection. A hunter can’t spend his time growing plants too, and he might want some mashed potato with his venison.

rw

bigboof12bigboof12

a ferret or a dog would be a brilliant asset. in a true survival situation anythings on the menu, and even many family dogs are very lizards and what not. As RW said, bows require a lot of maintenance, especially compounds. however traditional bows, are disposable but can last a long time if you make them correctly. i remember making a 35pound bow from birch and raw hide and recurved it with steam. worked a treat till mum said it was dangerous….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.