Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Sunflowers with multiple flowers

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Sunflowers with multiple flowers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    MadenMaden

Hi all,

Last year I planted a few sunflowers as an experiment as an oil source and tried seed saving from them as well.

This year I planted the seeds and was very happy with the results, until they started flowering:confused:. Instead of a single large flower, like the parent plants, most have multiple (up to 15) smaller flowers:shrug:. I have also had a few flowers wilt and die when the plant still appears healthy:(.

Would anyone have an explanation and any recommendations for a supplier and variety of sunflower for oil?

urban-wombaturban-wombat

Hi Maden I plant sunflowers .. it’s two fold the parrots get a feed 😉 and use them as living been poles.

By the way I know of another Maden from Woy Woy on a fuji photo site

WombatWombat

Hey Maden!

If they did not breed true-to-type, they may have been hybrid seeds to start with:shrug:

Nev

MadenMaden

Thanks for the replies. I was suspecting the seeds may have been a hybid too which may explain both issues.

Anyone have a few spare seeds from this years plant or give recomendations for a suppier of good seeds for oil?

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

Hi Maden, I had a few sunflowers grow form some horse manure I put in the veg patch, 2 of them were normal with just a single giant flower and one of them had 10 flowers on it!

I am drying some seeds from one of the single giant flowers at the moment if you are interested I am happy to send some to you when they are ready.

BelBel

We have some giant Russian sunflowers and about a million saved seeds – they grow true to type each year as they were originally from Diggers. They are literally quite huge – bigger than a dinner plate and so heavy with seeds that the seed heads droop heavily down (the one pictured is 30cm in diameter, but we’ve had them bigger). Not sure what they’d be like for oil, but the chooks and ants do like them. If you want me to send you some seeds to try, just PM me.

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

WOW Bel that is awesome!:jawdrop:

I would love some seeds if you think they would grow in the sub tropics.:shrug:

BelBel

I have no idea about growing stuff in the sub tropics, but I’m more than happy to send you some to try. We have oodles of seeds from last season and have about a gazillion more to harvest when the current heads dry. Just PM me your addy. :tup:

lisannelisanne

Is it too late to plant some seeds?

urban-wombaturban-wombat

Bel wrote:

We have some giant Russian sunflowers and about a million saved seeds – they grow true to type each year as they were originally from Diggers. They are literally quite huge – bigger than a dinner plate and so heavy with seeds that the seed heads droop heavily down (the one pictured is 30cm in diameter, but we’ve had them bigger). Not sure what they’d be like for oil, but the chooks and ants do like them. If you want me to send you some seeds to try, just PM me.

I grow them last year .. as you say “bigger than a dinner plate ” was looking forward to saving the seed .. but.. the local parrots had another idea.

BelBel

lisanne – I don’t think it’s too late (mind, I’m no expert). We even had 1 or 2 come up through the winter and though the heads were much smaller, they did grow to maturation. With our long summers, I don’t think you’d have too much trouble. Col, if you want some more seed, PM me and I’ll send you some :tup:

urban-wombaturban-wombat

Thanks Bel .. I’m sure sunflowers aren’t on the NOT TO WAlist Col

FeyWindFeyWind

Multiple flowers may also occur if the top bud of the plant is damaged – could they have been burnt on hot days? Or insect damaged? I know that when the cockies rip off the tops of my plants they get more flowers down the stem.

MadenMaden

FeyWind wrote:

Multiple flowers may also occur if the top bud of the plant is damaged – could they have been burnt on hot days? Or insect damaged? I know that when the cockies rip off the tops of my plants they get more flowers down the stem.

Hi FeyWind,

We did get a couple of weeks of 40+ temps as they grew so that may also explain it. I may still save a few of the best ones to see how they go next year.

Would anyone know if sunflowers will cross pollinate different varieties if planted in close proximity to each other like corn does?

Maden

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

Hi Bel, thanks for the seeds, can’t wait to plant them and watch them grow.:tup:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.