Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Summer Challenge – Simple Celebrations

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE ALS Challenge Series Summer Challenge – Simple Celebrations

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    RinelleRinelle

I’ve started making an advent calendar, although it’s slow going, and we’re now just adding a pocket a day as we need them, LOL. Keeping the surprises non-commercial, with things like strips of paper for making paper chains, christmas cutters for cookies/salt dough decorations etc. DD is really enjoying it.

That’s a good idea luvin, to make a little sea scene for the fish, I think I’ll try that (if I end up with enough time). Waldorf doll is nearly finished, just have to knot in the hair, should only take an evening or two. Then of course, I’ll have to make some clothes too.

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

My elderly parents in law are beyond ‘doing christmas’ but my family and my SIL will have a simple lunch together with hem. At this stage a chook and salads (old fashioned for the elderly -one of whom has lost her bottom teeth! and a trifle. Keep it simple -Christmas crackers (why are they now called bonbons?) with crummy jokes.

I am giving parents in law a jar of my husband’s wonderful cumquat marmalade and I am making MIL her favourite ginger biscuits.

Saw a lovely idea recently for a christmas advent calendar -just numbered tea lights on a glass plate. Light more every evening.

BobbeeBobbee

Saw a lovely idea recently for a christmas advent calendar -just numbered tea lights on a glass plate. Light more every evening.

That’s a beautiful idea EMW. I enjoy having candles lit at any time and for Christmas they are very special to me. :clap: :tup: :hug:

osakasuzosakasuz

I like that candle idea too. For the really crafty, I saw a nice advent calendar that builds into a nativity: you start with a blank scene of a stable in the desert and each day you add an element (a donkey, the manger, etc) until you have the full nativity scene.

We just had our first simple celebration. We invited close friends and had a sausage sizzle. Everyone brought a plate so we also had some salad, fruit, cake and a cheese platter. Drinks included homebrew and iced tea (green tea with mint). The kids played in the garden and the adults chatted on the back deck. It was lovely, simple and relaxing. No one person had to do too much and the kids didn’t fill up on junk so they weren’t ratty. :tup:

luvinluvin

wow that sounded a great time for all

joesph informs me he is going to church service with great gran now she says he is old enough then a happy birthday Jesus lunch,then supper with other great gran he will be busy xmas day

i wish to add that every year i light a candle in memory of those now passed,i have a small table with photos of loved ones which i add a candle

osakasuzosakasuz

That’s a lovely idea too, Luvin.

You reminded me that I was going to use candle light for tonight’s Christmas drinks with the nieghbours – so much nicer than flouros…

queseraquesera

I’M in – going to make advent calendars tonight for grandkids- DH is suspicious this will impact on him not in a good way and says the grandchildren will never go for the idea of a more down to earth christmas but you know – they can all get over it. Too much about money at Christmas and not enough about just being together. Time for me to take charge and rejig everyone’s expectations – lI ike the idea of sausage sizzle and me out of the kitchen! – DH is already moaning – but he really does come on board when he knows I mean it! We have homemade hooch and heaps of sweet corn, tomatoes in the garden – grankids love board games – will dust them off as well.

ShirleyShirley
    Participant

Yeah!!!!! I want to know too!!!!

Not same as mine ,I bet.

TeacupTeacup

Salad and fruit maketh the Christmas in our hot climate. Oh, and fizzy. Bought a soda syphon for $15. Not bad, although it is a bit light on in the fizz department. Plan for Xmas Day is to hang around in the cool inside or under our newly adapted carport – now outdoor room.

RinelleRinelle

So, how did everyone’s celebration aims go?

I managed to go with home made presents for DD and the rest of the family. DH got a computer game though, because I ran out of time an inspiration! Will do better next year. I also made an advent calendar, which DD loved, and which will come out again next year.

luvinluvin

well ours was very quiet,and as always everyone loved their handmade goodies

GirlFridayGirlFriday

ours was lovely and low key- the only thing i was sad about was that my two older boys spent Christmas with their dad and i missed them. I did lots of homemade gifts this year- wheat heat packs, handmade soap and knitted washcloths, herb planters planted with most of the herbs you would need for the kitchen (unless you are like me:)) Everything else i had purchased way before Christmas and on a strict budget so there was minimal stress and not much shopping before Christmas. Did get DH a drill for Christmas but his old one was stuffed and i needed him to do several jobs around the place that needed a drill.On Christmas eve we drove out to the lttle country town where i spent a large part of my childhood and went to mass- every second year the church puts on an outdoor Christmas mass complete with live nativity and all the animals and then we have Christmas eve drinks/ eats/chat with old family friends. Two storms missed where we were but came home here and watered my garden for me:)

On the day we did the present thing with the littlies- ‘Santa’ bought them one thing and we bought them one thing- they were really chuffed. then we went down the beach and had lunch with my dad in a unit down there- cold ham, cold roast pork and salad. Had a swim in the pool. then headed over to DHs brother and SILs house. Their kids got HEAPS of ‘stuff’ (ipods etc) and i wondered to DH whether i had been stingy with our kids this year but he assured me it was ok. Then the neighbour rang and said the darn dogs we were minding for my SIL had got into the hens and killed some-:@:@:@ i wanted to go home then and there! but we stayed because we felt obligated and ate more food (which to be honest we didnt feel like) and drove home. at 830 pm i was crouched in my chook house patting the remaining girls and telling them it was ok- poor things were sooooo stressed. Thankfully our broody hen was still sitting on her eggs. We lost two:(

So DS got lego and a digger for the sandpit, DD got a timber dolls house with little timber dollies in it (i was worried whether she would play with it but she and her brother love it)- no Barbie dolls in this house and the older boys got a laptop each- which will come in handy for homeschooling this year. I didnt get a present as such because there was simply nothing i wanted- what a lovely way to be

so we had a lovely non commmercial Christmas and loved it.

osakasuzosakasuz

Lovely to hear everyone’s simple celebrations went so well. I think the Australia Day weekend marks the end of the ‘silly season’ for most people – kids back at school, everyone is back at work, gardeners are contemplating their gardens again…

We had a lovely time with family and friends – lots of homemade presents and practical bought items. I gave away lots of preserves, soap and some nice, local handmade shopping bags. We also enjoyed simple meals of salad, barbecue, Christmas ham, french toast for the big family brekkie.

January has also been filled with picnics and barbecues – everyone contributes so that no one person does too much. We used cloth napkins (much nicer, IMO) and washed and reused the plastic cutlery – too many people at a couple of the events for MILs kitchen drawer to handle by itself:lol:. We’ll use the same one’s next year – and didn’t mind the strange looks from some of the more affluenza affected of the rellies!:lol:

Lacto-fermented soft drinks are proving a hit around here. Easy to make and deliciously sour – a refreshing change from the sugary stuff.

I am so glad that we were able to celebrate without so much excess this year.

I hope you are all ready for a new year of challenges!:tup:

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.