Aussies Living Simply

Suggestions wanted for a nice high yielding pumpkin

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Suggestions wanted for a nice high yielding pumpkin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mukluk
    Participant

I grew some great pumpkins this year, they tasted great and were very high yielding. The problem is, with each pumpkin coming in at 8 kg or so, that they were far too large. While we have not yet wasted any, they usually ended up taking fridge space.

I am after some suggestions for smaller fruited, high yielding, great tasting pumpkin varieties for next year.

Snags

Japs are good but can get big I quite like butternut but they dont keep as well….Maybe an heirloom Japanese one…some of them look interesting…….http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xjapanese+pumpkin+.TRS0&_nkw=japanese+pumpkin+&_sacat=0

ballamara
    Keymaster

We have had good yields with both Japs and butternut pumpkins. I grew Queensland blues this were not as is year they were not as prolific and as water here is an issue not so big either

Snags

I would go the ………………………………..
    BLACK FUTSU is another of the wonderful old heirloom pumpkin varieties originating from Japan. The fruit is round and flattened with heavy ribbing and rind that is very dark green, even black. This rind turns a rustic dusty orange colour in storage. The flesh is a bright golden colour, very sweet with a rich flavour of chestnuts/hazelnuts. The taste improves even more in storage. The thin vines produce very large yields of fruit ranging in size from 1.5kg to 2.5kg in around 105 days
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pumpkin-BLACK-FUTSU-Pumpkin-Seeds-JAPANESE-CLASSIC-15-SEEDS-/262218644105

Mukluk
    Participant

That sounds perfect! Thanks snags.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.