Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Suggestions for books for a 7yo boy.

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Home Schooling Suggestions for books for a 7yo boy.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    mumof6mumof6

As a mum of 3 boys aged 16 to 8 i would suggest deltora quest by emily rodda it is a premier reading challange level grade 5/6 but my boys have read her work from seven years old they have just read the whole series again for the challange there are 3 series then several other book series simmiler to this for boys and she also writes for girls her latest is the golden door followed by the silver door, then there is the Tashi books by anna & barbara fienberg and kim gamble they are australian writen based on a chinese boy tashi that tells stories to his australian friend and they come to life as he tells them, another hit for my younger boys. I could go on but i have given a holiday of reading just in deltora. :laugh:

BelBel

How about Paul Jennings novels? They’re very funny for kids and would be good for a 7 y.o. I would think. My DS-nearly-6 loves the children’s non-fiction section of the library. We were there today and he borrowed a stack of books about vehicles (anything with wheels), emergency services, armed services (army etc) and typical ‘boy’ kind of books.

Maybe ‘Tomorrow when the War began’? My ten year old cousin really enjoyed that series, supposedly it is supposed to be quiet a long series, too. So the style changes as the child grows older.

kerriebkerrieb

Funnily enough he hates Paul Jennings. Loves Deltora quest and Tashi but has read most of them in silent reading at school. Not sure that tomorrow when the war began is a good pick yet subject wise for him even though I liked the book when I read it not so long ago. But this is a really good lot of books my DD has hunted out James and the giant peach for him we’ll see what he thinks of it.

pennypenny

While suggestions are good, your son needs to have time to browse and dip into many genres. We can only encourage and support but the more books he looks at and makes choices the better. He will eventually find his way.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

How about Watership Down ? … whilst I have never read it, I have it on good authority that is a goodun 🙂

julientuaregjulientuareg

I would try the Tripod series by Christopher, some of John Wyndhams might be ok and some of Ursula Le Guin if he is into Sci Fi. If you are borrowing from the library they are worth a try as if he doesnt like them you havent lost anything. I read all of the above in primary school and loved them.

TrudyTrudy

I second the Colin Thiele books and add Willard Price (Adventure Series) Ranger’s Apprentice Series by John Flannagan and the Animorph Series. The Three Investigators Series. Regarding the last two, I preferred the earlier books for my son, before the main characters began dealing with teenage crushes etc… and the main story lines were just plain old adventure…

:blink:

porgeyporgey

He is very lucky to have such an attentive Mum, good on you Kerrie. I loved any adventure book so they would be on my list (I strongly recommend the book “ENDURANCE – The Greatest Adventure Story Ever Told” by Alfred Lansing reprinted 2001 with spectacular photos by Australian photographer Frank Hurley) as well as nature picture books where you can compare the pic with the real thing.

I dont want to highjack this thread but If he gets inspired by nature it can help foster a great understanding and appreciation of the natural world where learning comes so easily. I am slowly creating a photo book about pollination of flowers and there interaction and co-dependence with the environment, including insects, for my young cousins. I found I could read and read and read if I had some visual prompts to keep me going. The following photos show so much about flower structures that when combined with some text makes reading & learning so much smoother and when its easy to grow/see the real thing in a garden it takes learning to a whole new level. Add the fact that you can eventually eat the resultant fruit makes all that reading so worthwhile and easy.

I think its wonderful when yougens can read and be amazed at the real thing, better than just page after page. Hope thats a little help and may provide more options than just the printed word. Personally I struggled in the classroom but give me a forest or garden or beach etc and I can learn the socks off any subject as I am more visually orientated and really enjoyed the physicality of getting amongst it.

gypsyoakgypsyoak

I have just bought my granddaughter the complete Secret 7 and the famous 5 by enid Blyton. She like Dairy of a WImpy Kid

You would have to be the best grandma in the world!! What a brilliant gift!

All my christmases would have come at once if I was given anything like that.

I couldn’t get enough of them and read an enid blyton book every weekend right up until I had kids at 27! Now I just don’t have time….:(

The Children Children of Willow farm or Cherry tree farm?

mudhenmudhen

I found this list online today, and thought it might be helpful too:

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/03/67-books-for-kids/?pid=1185&viewall=true

Enjoy!

kerriebkerrieb

What a cool list I haven’t heard of some of them before and there is a heap I’d forgotten about

mudhenmudhen

I’m glad you enjoyed the link, Kerrie! I’ve pinned it and will go back and have a better look soon. I have a nephew aged 5 and my sister and br-i-l are avid readers, she has read so many good books to him — lots of Roald Dahl and a few others mentioned on this thread. I was amazed and it never would have occurred to me to read books like that to my kids when they were that age, which I do regret. My youngest boy and I read the Narnia series together when he was in upper primary and that was a very special time, he reads the least of my kids and mostly information style books, the Ripleys believe it or not type things were popular at one stage. He does read for pleasure now, but not like his older brothers who devour books. You are on the right track if your lovely boy is hungry for books at his age! I think someone previously mentioned getting him to write his own stories, and I will second that, esp if he likes to draw as well and can do some illustrations.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

kerrieb post=345756 wrote: There are some good suggestions there to try. Some he’s picked up read a bit and just isn’t interested in yet subject wise.

His comprehension was rated 10years 8 months but his interests are that of a typical 7yo Bron which is where I’ve hit a wall. Bluewren he’s currently doing Gr2 extension spelling (didn’t get that from me) and we are working on the writing as his handwriting is shocking. He hated drawing (I got 3 drawings in kinder) so he didn’t aquire the pencil skills before school.

School is going to be an interesting journey for us as he’s in a 1/2 composite class and working at Gr2 or above in spite of being utterly disorganised (teacher couldn’t rank him any lower and I’d agree) and not listening to instructions terribly well. Not sure what he’ll do next year when he’s in Gr2. He’s also emotionally a bit flaky to make things even more fun.

:wave: Kerrieb. I’ve only just seen this post so will back track to the previous page. Our eldest is very similar to your boy. He is 9 and had a reading age of 13+ and comprehension of 11+ and is an extension literacy class at his school.

With regards to his handwriting, drawing, being utterly disorganised and not listening to instructions terribly well and being emotional….that is also our 9 year old. It could be worth getting him to an Occupational Therapist and having them look into it a bit more. Our son was and is exactly like that and was diagnosed with Dyspraxia early this year. Google Dyspraxia or go to http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk and see if there are any similarities to your son. It is not the norm for dyspraxics to have a skill in one area and need help in others but does happen and can be classed as twice exceptional ie. ability and disability. Worth looking into for your son and the OT can help with his handwriting and organisation. PM me if you want I can also give you the name of some really good books you have to order in from the UK.

On the subject of books our son is now reading Hardy boys, went through Zac Powers last year, Star Wars have a series and from memory there is also a series called Boy -v- Beast that goes for some time. I have found series of books really good as they take a while and holds interest. There is also the Aussie Bites series for a smaller read.

🙂

GiannaGianna

The Borrowers was one of my favourites when I was a little girl. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.