Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Suggestions for books for a 7yo boy.

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Home Schooling Suggestions for books for a 7yo boy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    kerriebkerrieb

Not strictly homeschooling but I need to take DS to the library for some books for the holidays and would love some suggestions.

I’m after suggestions for the little monkey. He didn’t want to read early as that’s what you do at school so went in knowing his letters. Skip forward a 1 and 1/2 his teacher got Neale reading analysis done last week, basically averaging he’s at about 11 1/2 years across the sections he’s just 7. We knew he was reading well but that shocked us all. Explains why he’s eating books. He went through the 8 Zac power books (not the easy ones) he got given for his birthday in 2 school days :S . His older sisters books are more of the girly girl fairies and princesses genre so that’s no help. My Scifi/fantasy stuff is not appropriate for a 7yo and he’s eyeing them off.

Only problem is what he is capable of reading and finding stories that are age appropriate are two different things. Any suggestions for challenging books on topics that are likely to interest a 7 yo who’s into scifiction, fantasy, spies, superheroes and pokemon and nonfiction (stuff) books.

DavidLamnickDavidLamnick

You must read “Jungle Book” by Rudyard Kipling.Really flabbergast!!!!!!!!

painting contractors in west palm beach

MiaowzenMiaowzen

I suggest anything by Jules Verne, and also to get him an encyclopaedia set.

BlueWrenBlueWren

What about encouraging him to write his own short stories? Or about his interests.Writing is a good combination with reading and gets kids to use their spelling and language structure knowledge gained from reading.

A librarian worth their salt should have some suggestions too.

GiannaGianna

The Hobbit. 🙂

RobyneRobyne

I have just bought my granddaughter the complete Secret 7 and the famous 5 by enid Blyton. She like Dairy of a WImpy Kid

Her favourite book at the moment is “Walter the Farting Dog” we get it from our local library

BelBel

How about The Chronicles of Narnia (the long version), Roald Dahl novels, Harry Potter? DH recommends Biggles books and Hardy Boys – books he read when he was a kid. DH loved books so much he scammed 2 library cards so he could ride his bike to the library on the weekend to borrow twice as many books!

GumnutGumnut

The Narnia, Harry Potter, Jules Verne and Roald Dahl books are all great!

Some other suggestions:

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O’Brien

Only You Can Save Mankind by Terry Pratchett

BlueWrenBlueWren

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

RobyneRobyne

When I get a suggested book I always get the libaray to get it in for me. If I think it is worth buying I do so if not it hasn’t cost a penny.

I do the same with my grandchildren, I also check out opshops. Granddaughter loves horses and I have bought her the complete set of Ponie tales for under $10, There is about 60 books in the set. and for 25c a book I thought it was a good buy. I am now collecting Babysitters books.

BronBron

But is his comprehension also that of an 11 yr old, or a 7 yr old? We’ve got good readers (similar ages and ability) who can comprehend and got some who can’t. They can read the words but don’t know what they mean, so not really that much point unless someone is reading with them and asking and explaining.

I second Roald Dahl but not Harry Potter. It really is a bit old for a 7yr old (next year maybe?) What about non fiction books? Does he have an interest in mechanics, volcanoes, dinosaurs or similar??

MiaowzenMiaowzen

In addition to the ones I mentioned, hubby recommend’s Gulliver’s Travels series, Robinson Crusoe, The Last of the Mohicans series, Animal Farm when he’s a bit older, Sherlock Holmes stories, Alice in Wonderland.

kerriebkerrieb

There are some good suggestions there to try. Some he’s picked up read a bit and just isn’t interested in yet subject wise.

His comprehension was rated 10years 8 months but his interests are that of a typical 7yo Bron which is where I’ve hit a wall. Bluewren he’s currently doing Gr2 extension spelling (didn’t get that from me) and we are working on the writing as his handwriting is shocking. He hated drawing (I got 3 drawings in kinder) so he didn’t aquire the pencil skills before school.

School is going to be an interesting journey for us as he’s in a 1/2 composite class and working at Gr2 or above in spite of being utterly disorganised (teacher couldn’t rank him any lower and I’d agree) and not listening to instructions terribly well. Not sure what he’ll do next year when he’s in Gr2. He’s also emotionally a bit flaky to make things even more fun.

casalentacasalenta

I second Roald Dahl. Plus Colin Thiele’s books, such as Storm Boy. Maybe the Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury too.

pennypenny

The “Horrible” series are great. They have horrible science, history, geography and others. Fun and accurate. Other than those let your son browse and choose anything he thinks he might like. If it turns out he has chosen some he doesn’t like then assure him he does not need to read them. This way he will gradually expand his reading and will move into different genres. He is a fortunate boy, because he reads well and he has a mother who understands he needs to be extended.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.