Aussies Living Simply

Sugar Snap Peas…worth freezing?

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Sugar Snap Peas…worth freezing?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lostinthefoglostinthefog

I only bother to freeze Broad Beans and ordinary garden peas but it looks as if we are going to have a bumper crop of Sugar Snap peas this year and wondered if they freeze well…most vegetables in my experience are pretty ordinary frozen except for the aforementioned Broadies and peas but thought Sugar Snaps might be OK?

SnagsSnags

Its worth it ,Ive had them frozen and they are pretty good,not as perfect as peas and broadies but close.

I throw them in stir frys last few minutes or under some gravy/sauce and you cant really tell.

BelBel

I’ve frozen snow peas in the past and won’t do it again. They are quite fibrous when defrosted, I have found. Not a fan…

ruthyruthy

I freeze them. I blanch for a minute first and freeze to use in sauce type dishes such as an onion gravy or in a ground/mince dish or maybe a curry. I am intent on using everything I grow so probably desensitised to things being a bit tough lol! I juice stuff I cant eat or preserve whole. I often freeze the juice. If you have loads and dont want to freeze maybe you could juice them? I did try an awesome green pea chutney once- wish I had the recipe.

lostinthefoglostinthefog

Thankyou Ruthy, Bel & Snags 🙂 ….I might give them a go, I’ll try the very young tender ones. I divide the broadies and peas into two ‘grades’ for freezing, the older tougher ones for stews, curries etc and the nice young, tender ones for use as a vegetable…we aren’t big consumers of pickles and chutneys so don’t bother making any and I am ashamed to admit that we don’t use much fruit/vege juice either :blush: so freezing is our usual method of preserving surplus..last year we had a huge green bean harvest and I reckon we ate beans everyday for a month or more..I did dry some which were great in winter casseroles.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.