Aussies Living Simply

Study Horticulture or Permaculture Course or both?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Study Horticulture or Permaculture Course or both?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kristy

I have just read a newsletter by the barefoot investor as written here https://bvs89594.infusionsoft.com/app/hostedEmail/1228390/e7ad7b0054d91012 about the future of Australian jobs.

If you then look at the top 20 job growth for 2012 Horticulture is listed. I have been thinking on and off about studying Horticulture even to the point of enrolling with Tafe, but never starting the subjects.

Has anyone here studied Horticulture or Permaculture PDC? Which have you found more beneficial? I guess one might be more useful for jobs (e.g. a lot of jobs ask for horticulture cetificate) and one might be more useful for personal use at home in the gardens.

The next question is Tafe ok for Horticulture or did you study through another comapny?

The Horticulture course is a couple of $1000 and Permaculture is about the same I think.

Any feedback or thoughts?

I appreciate any input 🙂

Thank you

Kristy

mauzi

Hi, I did a Horticulture II course and then a Cert IV in Organic Agriculture followed by a Diploma in Organic Agriculture. The Agriculture course is Agriculture (Organic Production). I think a lot depends on the teacher with these courses but the Horticulture II course is a good start. The Horticulture III course is harder and so forth. I loved the Organic Ag course but we did have a very special teacher. Happy to answer further questions if it helps.

weaver

I started with a Cert III in Permaculture at our local TAFE (we are very lucky to have a campus that is a 400 acre organic farm) and then moved on to a Diploma in Organic Farming (the same qual as Mauzi). I also had a very special teacher and absolutely loved it.

HT

I think this may be a good line for David to take when we return to Taz at the end of the year,we could base our farm on the principles and be able to hold field days on site, I could play nurse when someone got a splinter,we could have woofers come and stay in the cottage (hay shed)with us as well,I am sure David would like young blonde healthy and willing workers at his side all day :kiss:

HT

Kristy

I have been thinking a Cert 2 will be a good taster to see if it is something I am interested in and then I can go from there. The 400 acre organic farm sounds fantastic!

I am going to be doing all the study external, so I am open to any other options that may be able to be studied external as well.

It looks like I might still be enrolled in the horticulture course though and that I just need to add and pay for the modules, but waiting on confirmation. I find the entire process very confusing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.