Aussies Living Simply

Strawberries in Brisbane

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    burnt

Is it too late to be planting strawberries in Brisbane? I’m keen to get a few started and noticed Bunnings have lots in stock-which makes me think its too late!!

What is the best time or can you plant all year round?

darls

Im led to believe you can plant them all year around up there! :shrug: Perhaps cover them over the worst period to avoid burning of leaves?

I still have heaps that going on atm here. Got about 2 more pots to plant in. I have over 40 plants that needs to be planted before xmas!! :jawdrop:

Cheers! :hug:

Lyn Bagnall

Burnt, strawberries are usually planted out in autumn, from runners that form after plants finish that season’s crop. Strawberry plants are perennial and produce crops for several years, although fruit quality usually declines after three years, and crowns are replaced from runners from these plants. Due to unusual weather patterns recently, some plants are becoming confused about which season it is, and are producing fruit or flowers earlier or later than normal.

Providing the crowns at Bunnings have healthy white roots, there is no reason why you could not plant them out now in a bed that is not limed but is rich in well-rotted organic matter. But, if the plants are bare rooted, and roots are brown รขโ‚ฌโ€œ I wouldn’t buy them as they are from old crowns.

As strawberries are originally cool climate plants, if your bed is in a sunny spot, a temporary light shade from 50 per cent shade cloth will keep them a bit cooler until they are well-established. The shade must be set high enough to allow good air circulation around the plants. ๐Ÿ™‚

FeyWind

Ah, cool climate plants. Thanks Lyn, I wondered why mine seemed to grow best under other plants!

Michelle-sm

My strawberries are growing really well but some of them are not very sweet.

Does anyone know why this is and is there anyway of fixing the problem?

TIA:hug:

Herbman

Hey Lyn – thanks for the info. I was wondering why my potted strawberry plants are putting out fruit at this time of the year.

Like Michelle-sm mine aren’t very sweet either – I’m wondering whether this is due to the season or whether I bought duds from Bunnings or whether it’s just the variety of strawberry I bought.

Love coming home to the little red fruits though ๐Ÿ™‚

Bubba Louie

Green Harvest always has good growing notes and they’re pretty local too.

Lots of strawberries grown on the Sunshine Coast area.

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/Plants/strawberries_info.html

ccBear

Depends on what variety of strawberry you bought. Some are sweet some are not. Buy or borrow the new Organic Gardener and they have a good article on Strawberry’s.

Lyn Bagnall

Michelle-sm wrote: My strawberries are growing really well but some of them are not very sweet. Does anyone know why this is and is there anyway of fixing the problem? TIA:hug:

Michelle and Herbman, presuming that you are only using organic fertilisers, you may have been a bit mean with complete fertiliser or overdone the nitrogen fertiliser. I’ve often tasted bought strawberries that aren’t sweet but have not had that problem with well-fertilised organic ones รขโ‚ฌโ€œ and we seem to have collected at least two different varieties in our patch.

Nitrogen is one of the nutrients necessary for the formation of sugars in fruit but overdoing it can have the opposite effect. Potassium and magnesium are also necessary for fruit quality and sweetness. Seaweed extract (such as Natrakelp) contains a good proportion of potassium, and a drink of seaweed extract tea can help fruit quality. However, potassium and magnesium should be kept in balance and seaweed does not contain much magnesium. You could also try watering in some Epsom salts to see if that improves the sweetness of the fruit. Say about 1/2 teaspoon per plant dissolved in 500 ml water. ๐Ÿ™‚

Herbman

Thanks for the tips. My strawberries are in a pot of (non-organic :shy: ) potting mix and I have some Yates liquid fertiliser and some seaweed liquid stuff for them. But with all the rain I haven’t had a chance to fertilise.

Will try the Epsom salts if we have a break in the storms for a day or two.

Will let you know how it goes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.