Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Storing Fruitcake

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JewellerJeweller

Hello 🙂

Just a quick question for those of you that make your own fruitcakes…. I made my very first one yesterday and it seems to have turned out beautifully (so happy!). I am going to ice it for Christmas (with marzipan and fondant) but not for another week or so. In the magazine the recipe came from, it says you an make the cake up to four weeks in advance and then wrap in clingwrap and keep in the fridge. I have always thought that fruitcake should not be stored in the fridge….my Mum said the same thing when I mentioned it to her. I have done a little googling and get mixed results. So….fridge or no fridge? What are your opinions?

(This is for the un-iced cake)

Thanks 😉

COBCOB

Hello Jeweller,

I usually store mine in the pantry. I use brandy in the mix, the alcohol content helps it keep well out of the fridge.

This year for a change I am making a fruit mince with the brandy for using in the cake, pudding and fruit mince pies. This fruit mince will sit in a bowl not refrigerated for a couple of weeks before I make the goodies.

JewellerJeweller

Thanks, COB. I thought it should be fine out of the fridge, it does have a good amount of sherry in it 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.