Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 392 total)
  • Author
    grumpy3grumpy3

Yes RW I have had the torch problem in the past with my son borrowing the torches. So the torches now get left with out batteries in them and I have a stock pile of 6v, 9v, AA and AAA batteries that dont seem to walk. Maybe its to much effort to go looking for batteries.

missy71missy71

I’m the one guilty of raiding my stockpile. On Monday night I confess to opening 3 tins of spaghetti for dinner because I was too tired and sick with the beginnings of a migraine to cook. I’ll have to start storing them out in the shed because it’s a dark trip out there at night…

roadwarriorroadwarrior

missy71 wrote:

I’m the one guilty of raiding my stockpile. On Monday night I confess to opening 3 tins of spaghetti for dinner because I was too tired and sick with the beginnings of a migraine to cook. I’ll have to start storing them out in the shed because it’s a dark trip out there at night…

Sounds like a momentary medical emergency to me. That’s a valid reason for raiding the stockpile! 🙂

grumpy3 wrote:

So the torches now get left with out batteries in them and I have a stock pile of 6v, 9v, AA and AAA batteries that dont seem to walk. Maybe its to much effort to go looking for batteries.

So how do you find the batteries and get them into the torches in the dark??? I can see what you mean though, but that might negate the purpose for having them in the first place.

I have a very expensive (for what it does) LED torch on my keychain. It’s no lightweight for light output though, with a maximum output of 85 lumens it can compete with most heavyweight torches. See photo below for the Fenix LD01.

It’s the only torch I own that is easy to hold in my teeth if I need to use both hands, plus I can use it for Every Day Carry (that’s EDC for those familiar on prepping techno-speak). 😆

This torch would make an ideal Father’s/Mother’s day present because you normally wouldn’t go to that level of expense for yourself just for a torch, but they are incredibly useful and potentially life-saving.

I do a lot of stuff at night that requires me to work until the wee hours of the morning. Something as simple as lighting the driveway so I don’t trip on kids toys, illuminating the door so I can get it unlocked without waking the neighbourhood, or even checking the dark corners to see if the boogey-man is waiting for me; are all made easy with this little torch (I should have been a salesman ).

grumpy3grumpy3

We use average LED torches most of the time and the boy does not worry about these because he has a few of his own. He also uses the LED on his red dot from his compound and its quite bright. So if I need a six volt battery I know where they are and it only takes a few moments and its in. I have two Led torches on the bed side cupd if I need a light in a hurry.

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

I bought one of these solar lamps from Ikea the other day and am surprised by how good they are.

Just leave it near a window during the day and get 3 hours of lamp light at night. They give off enough light to read or cook by.

I thought they were good value for $20.

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40198688

nimmnimm
    Participant

You can get some cheap LED torches from dealextreme.com (US prices, includes shipping to australia, incredibly cheap).

The best types are the ones with Cree XR-E Q5 or R2 emitters (highest output @ ~200lm and power-to-light efficiency) with 18650 lithium ion batteries. A couple torches, charger, and 4 batteries will set you back in the region of $60AU. These things are awesome, i have 3 around the house and I also use them on my bike at night.

There’s actually too much choice there, so if you want something smaller, brighter etc… Just consider brighter will mean shorter runtime and smaller the same thing due to smaller batteries. I think the XR-E + 18650s is a great combination – you get about 3 hours at full brightness in a very compact package.

gleanertgleanert

Michelle-sm wrote:

I bought one of these solar lamps from Ikea the other day and am surprised by how good they are.

Just leave it near a window during the day and get 3 hours of lamp light at night. They give off enough light to read or cook by.

I thought they were good value for $20.

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40198688

This looks good – why would it say it may need special disposal/handling?

I might get one although having 3 batteries in it makes me wonder how often the batteries would need to replace?

RobyneRobyne

Hubby bought granddaughter a torch she winds up from Rays out door shop for about $5 She now leaves our torches alone.

I have put on my stockpiling list

4 torches + batteries

Large candles and lamp oil extra

matches and lighters extra.

panadol

bandaids

cream for burns and like

banages I already have some but more won’t be lost

Vitamin C powder and liquid

cough medicine

medicine for bubs

sun protection cream

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

I might get one although having 3 batteries in it makes me wonder how often the batteries would need to replace?

According to the instructions the batteries last about 2 years and are easily replaced.

diannedianne
    Participant

better late than never, this is a great thread RW, reminds me of a blog I read a month or so ago.

will have to have a look at the shop, dont think my tribe would eat those exact meals so will find some they will and apliy here.

A question – will these meals be the only tin products you are doing or will there be other types to come (eg soups, meats/fish) ?:shrug:

grumpy3grumpy3

I would guess you could use what ever type of food you normaly eat. Like canned fruit or veggies, sheep, pork, beef, road kill or anything else that looks good.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

There will be other types, but from experience soups, meat (assuming you mean spam) and fish aren’t as fulfilling, nutritious, or have as much energy as these meals.

The soups will leave you still hungry after eating them. This is not something you want in a crisis. Even if your normal dietary requirements mean you can live off soup; assume your calorie intake may need to double in order to cope with stress or extra physical exertion.

The spam eaten in large amounts will make you vomit and constipated, and the fish is expensive and only contains some of the nutrition you need.

You should only consider these types of meals if you have some type of intolerance to the ones I have listed, or if you already have a good stockpile and you want to supplement it.

The complete canned meals are the best bang-for-buck you can get, and MUST be your first step in creating a stockpile. They dramatically increase your chances of survival with minimal effort.

After this month is over and you have at least 20 canned meals, the next item on the list is cans of spaghetti and baked beans (homebrand). They have massive amounts of energy and protein, are very filling, and if you buy the homebrand cans they are inexpensive as well. A few years ago I think I bought around 100 or so cans for $0.49 each. So that cost me about $50. They are more expensive now though, around $0.69 per can. They are a great item to eat for breakfast if you don’t have cereal. They can keep you full enough that you can just about skip lunch and have the complete meals for dinner.

Consider how much money you spend on house, car or even life insurance. These cans are the best life insurance you’ll ever buy, and while you can live without a car or even a house, you can’t live without food.

After that it will be bottled water, full cream milk powder and canned fruit. I’ve discussed most of these items before in other threads, so be my guest and buy them all now if you want to. You never know if something will come up between now and when the exercise in this thread has reached a conclusion.

But one of the main purpose of this thread though is to allow people the opportunity to gather an emergency stockpile slowly without breaking the budget. Even though I consider myself to have a fairly good supply of long-term food, each week I still grab one or two more items. It’s very good practice to get in to.

rw

grumpy3grumpy3

Spaghetti and baked beans are good and we normaly keep about 40 tins of each but the home brand baked beans we found had an odd taste so we left home brand out of those.

RobyneRobyne

I buy Heinz everytime they come on special I have about 40 tins of each. No one eats the homebrand. A friend adds extra salas withthem to make them taste better.

Went to Coles this morning I bought some Plumrose sausages in a tin I thought they can be mixed with the baked beans.

I got some peas and carrots in tins.

Bought another 2 packets of 32 rolls of Toilet paper. from Big W.

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

I do the same Robyne, every time Heinz is on sale I buy them (only brand we like) I wouldnt suggest to anyone to buy the Homebrand unless they have already tried and liked it. (If I was starving, I still wouldnt eat it :rip: ) Added another 12 rolls of TP this week, should have told DH who was going to Big W to check it out there 😐 also added a tin Coffee and 6kg sugar.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 392 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.