Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 392 total)
  • Author
    WombatWombat

nessienoo wrote:

Wombat wrote:

Agree with Paul on stocking up cooking oil, but a few points to remember – cooking oil degrades due to exposure to oxygen and light, so keep away from those clear plastic containers, i also worry about contamination by plasticisers, unreacted monomers etc from the plastic so haven’t bought oil in plastic for many years. We bought a 20litre drum of oil comparativley cheaply many years ago but it was rancid before it was even half used. If I were to do that again I would immediately pack it off into smaller containers. Olive oil has the longest shelf life.

Sooooooo, my answer is to stock up oilve oil in 4 litre tins, safe from air and light.:tup:

Nev

Thanks for that info, Wombat.

Mah Pleasure!:D

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

Brown rice has a VERY short shelf life – it can go rancid and many people will not be able to determine (by smell) that it has.

Thanks Suz, I didn’t know that.

I store my brown rice in the freezer and take it out in 1kg lots. Is it ok to put it in the freezer? Will it keep longer?:shrug:

I eat brown rice at least twicw a week and white rice less often.

I bought a 10kg bag of white rice when it was on special a few months ago and am storing it in food grade palstic buckets. I hope it is ok to leave it in the buckets.:shrug:

I have just realised how little I know about safe food storage.

Another skill I need to learn.:confused:

gleanertgleanert

osakasuz wrote:

I store larger quantities of white rice and buy small quantities of brown, then I cook half and half in the same batch.

How do you do this when brown rice requires so much longer time to cook? White rice I only use electricity for about 7 mins because I then leave it to cook by absorption but brown rice I always give it a good 20 mins.

I don’t stockpile oils because of their short shelf-life and also because one can substitute water for oils when cooking quite easily and it is very healthy too.

WombatWombat

gleanert wrote:

one can substitute water for oils when cooking quite easily and it is very healthy too.

Agreed! But there is a world of difference between boiled rice and fried rice, boiled potato and chips (chips being one of the three essential human nutrients), boiled onions and fried onions.

A little oil is good!:D

Nev

RobyneRobyne

I have no idea how much seds they used to get what they had,:shrug:

I am sure if you email Linda she will let you know.

I was wondering if there are other oils that can be preessed at home as well.

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

Wombat wrote:

(chips being one of the three essential human nutrients)

:lol::lol::lol:

gleanertgleanert

Wombat wrote:

gleanert wrote:

one can substitute water for oils when cooking quite easily and it is very healthy too.

Agreed! But there is a world of difference between boiled rice and fried rice, boiled potato and chips (chips being one of the three essential human nutrients), boiled onions and fried onions.

Nev

😆 I know – fried rice, chips, fried onions and fried eggs, and fried bread, and pancakes fried, and fried rissoles and fried patties, and fried brown rice patties, and deep fried ice-cream….

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

😆

WombatWombat

gleanert wrote:

Wombat wrote:

gleanert wrote:

Nev

😆 I know – fried rice, chips, fried onions and fried eggs, and fried bread, and pancakes fried, and fried rissoles and fried patties, and fried brown rice patties, and deep fried ice-cream….

Damn! How could i forget to mention deep fried ice cream?:(:(:(:(

(btw the other two essential human nutrients are sugar and caffeine, therefore coke + Chips = A complete meal)

Nev

RobyneRobyne

This week on special

Coles has 5 kilos of rice for $6.44, UHT milk 2litres for $2 and their veggie oil 750ml for$2.50

Big W has 32 rolls of toilet paper for $12.98

Woolies has carnation milk for $1.14 a tin

roadwarriorroadwarrior

WEEK 2 – Canned meals

See I told you this was going to be boring. Week 2 schedule is to purchase another 4 cans of complete meals.

By now you should have found a secure place to store your incoming cans. By secure I mean safe from the hungry horde of your partner and/or children. The last thing you need in an emergency is to find a depleted stockpile because someone didn’t want to have to cook lunch or they got the midnight munchies.

Current total is $20

harooneyharooney

Yes, too true. I found a hole in the carton of tuna tins with a few missing. I suggest anywhere that requires effort, like under something heavy or requiring a ladder to reach or maybe razor wire and an electric fence lol

Gah! Yes, I have had ‘mice’ raiding my stashed tins too… :@

I hide ’em better now 😆

lol @ Nev

i think my hubby would agree with you 🙂

roadwarriorroadwarrior

harooney wrote:

Yes, too true. I found a hole in the carton of tuna tins with a few missing. I suggest anywhere that requires effort, like under something heavy or requiring a ladder to reach or maybe razor wire and an electric fence lol

😆 I’m going to have to buy some razor wire too I think 🙂

While we can laugh at this, it can actually be quite a serious issue. Constant pilfering of your stockpile basically turns it into nothing better than shopping. You have to make sure that either the other people in your life know that it isn’t to be touched, or you hide it from them.

An example of this is a couple of dolphin torches I keep under the bed in case of bumps-in-the-night or blackouts. My 4yoDD likes using them as camp lights in her “lounge room cubby house”, ie: blanket between couch chairs. She complained to me on the weekend that one of them was flat. Why??? Because it was left on the last time they were playing lounge camping.

While it is impossible to get cranky with my kids when they are being so cute, I still had to explain (again) that it is important the torches aren’t used for playing. Having said this I know they still will, so I’ve got backups for my backups (extra torch in bedside drawer + one always in pocket on key chain).

DW is also pilfering my stockpile of breakfast cerial and tomato (both canned, sauce & paste). I religeously rotate them though, much to her anoyance 😆

We want to keep the task of rotating down to a minimum though, so securing your essential stockpile supplies is critical. The vast bulk of my stash is under the house, and only I’m silly enough to go under there.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 392 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.