Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 392 total)
  • Author

Thanx Wombat 🙂 just might, mine is a little slow to ripen this season, i can bring you a bucket of lemons 🙂

to Osakasuz , yeah i know , hence my original comment about chic peas , lentils etc, 🙂

i have matches and timber and metal so could make a fire/rocket stove very easy and could add bunnies if needed , tho they are pets and show bunnies ,if we were hungry enough they are great failsafe option;) .

any ideas you have would be appreciated from me to see how other failsafers get around thier food option thoughts in case of emergency.

RobyneRobyne

Bought some UHT milk this morning for 89c litre,

Foodland has their own brand of sausages and veggies and irish stew for $2 a can. Hubby eats them

I use juice from cooking veggies to preserve my veggies gives a lovley tatse to the vegetables

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

Failsafe is a diet by Sue Dengate for those with intolerances,

My intolerances are not to additives but rather to salt, tomato, red meat and dairy to mention just a few.

So many canned products contain tomato and most are loaded with salt. There are also plenty of food that store well long term that contain milk or milk byproducts.

I am going to check labels when I go shopping on Thursday to see what alternatives I can find.

I can’t even eat baked beans,:confused:

roadwarriorroadwarrior

osakasuz wrote:

RW – we have fairly good storage systems, and we keep to Failsafe guidelines – I’m happy to help with ideas…

Any assistance is appreciated!

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

osakasuz wrote:

FOR THE FAILSAFE PEOPLE:

The original direction here to go and buy cans of ready meals is not going to work for those following failsafe or with food allergies.

Alternatives include the following cans:

Kidney beans

Chick pea

Lentils

Tuna or Salmon (if amines are tolerated)

These are not ready meals as such, but when combined with other food storage items you might have (eg. crackers) you can serve these up as a quick meal. If you have more facilities at the time of use, you can even add cous-cous or rice.

RW – we have fairly good storage systems, and we keep to Failsafe guidelines – I’m happy to help with ideas…

I would love any extra ideas. My idea of a throw together meal is tuna w/- organic pasta sauce over pasta. For some reason I can tolerate the organic pasta sauces but not the others :confused: add some veges and voila!

Any extra ideas would be fantastic though :tup: .

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

For those that like chic peas you can get roasted chic nuts at Woolies, they also do fava/broad beans which are yummo:

http://chicnuts.com/

RobyneRobyne

Bought 2 tins of meals today

Had a look in Woolies for the meals Road warrier uses from Coles but the closest was $3.54 a tin on special will wait till I go over to the main town and get some then

Woolies has 18pack Purex Toilet paper for $6.99

I did find some instant drink mixes by Hansells called Vitafresh, for 66c It makes up a 1 litre they come in Orange and Mango, Lime, and Orange. They would make a quick drink when needed

I got another script for Antibotics last night from the doctor as we have had this flu so we found somethign from the chemist works better but I have put away the tablets for later on.

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Have bought 6 cans Spag/B Beans from IGA, $6. Also added 12 rolls TP $6 and 8 packets dried pasta/spag for $6. A timely reminder again RW to keep adding to the stockpile. I have a canner and am yet to get off my butt and can some more meals. 😐

BootstrapperBootstrapper

I use pasta or rice as the bulk ingredient, and flavor it with the contents of a can. I keep sauces and condiments for the same purpose. I store powdered skim milk because it doesn’t need to be kept frozen. Not as tasty as full cream, but it’s better than no milk at all.

I stock up on whatever is on special and every time I’m at the supermarket, I cruise the aisles, just checking on prices. Genuine specials are easy to spot, if you’re familiar with the regular prices. I got several boxes of water filter cartridges really cheap, just for keeping an eye on the price.

I suggest stocking up on salt and cooking oil.

WombatWombat

Agree with Paul on stocking up cooking oil, but a few points to remember – cooking oil degrades due to exposure to oxygen and light, so keep away from those clear plastic containers, i also worry about contamination by plasticisers, unreacted monomers etc from the plastic so haven’t bought oil in plastic for many years. We bought a 20litre drum of oil comparativley cheaply many years ago but it was rancid before it was even half used. If I were to do that again I would immediately pack it off into smaller containers. Olive oil has the longest shelf life.

Sooooooo, my answer is to stock up oilve oil in 4 litre tins, safe from air and light.:tup:

Nev

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

The Coles near me doesn’t sell the coles brand ready meals.:shrug:

I will try the other coles close by next time I am out that way.

I bought a 3 litre tin of olive oil yesterday, extra pkts of panadol, another 2kg brown rice, 3 big tins of fruit, and other things, too many to list.

My back up pantry is looking quite full now, I just have to remember to rotate stock.

Moved a few things around yesterday and discovered a couple of items had been attacked by weevils.

I put all the dry goods in the freezer, hopefully will be all right.

osakasuzosakasuz

White rice is better for storage than brown rice.

Brown rice has a VERY short shelf life – it can go rancid and many people will not be able to determine (by smell) that it has. It is better to store white rice and buy brown rice as you will actually use it.

I store larger quantities of white rice and buy small quantities of brown, then I cook half and half in the same batch.

nessienoonessienoo

Wombat wrote:

Agree with Paul on stocking up cooking oil, but a few points to remember – cooking oil degrades due to exposure to oxygen and light, so keep away from those clear plastic containers, i also worry about contamination by plasticisers, unreacted monomers etc from the plastic so haven’t bought oil in plastic for many years. We bought a 20litre drum of oil comparativley cheaply many years ago but it was rancid before it was even half used. If I were to do that again I would immediately pack it off into smaller containers. Olive oil has the longest shelf life.

Sooooooo, my answer is to stock up oilve oil in 4 litre tins, safe from air and light.:tup:

Nev

Thanks for that info, Wombat.

RobyneRobyne

In the Living the Good Life they made sunflower oil from seeds and using a car jack. Plus I am sure someone put up a plan or a place to buy a press to make your own Olive oil.

Around where I live is lots of wild olive trees I am sure if people look around they will find some.

I won’t eat Canola as most is GM and we don’t need it in our systems.

grumpy3grumpy3

Robyne wrote:

In the Living the Good Life they made sunflower oil from seeds and using a car jack. Plus I am sure someone put up a plan or a place to buy a press to make your own Olive oil.

Around where I live is lots of wild olive trees I am sure if people look around they will find some.

I won’t eat Canola as most is GM and we don’t need it in our systems.

Any idea what quanity of sun flower seed you need to make a lt of oil.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 392 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.