Aussies Living Simply

Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 392 total)
  • Author
    mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Hmm, think I need to go and count toilet rolls, perhaps get a few new buckets when I next head to town next :lol:. I’m working on 4-6 rolls for a family of 4/week, you can never have too much loo paper Miley, but I have no idea where I’d put 300 of them :jawdrop: . But wasn’t the original post about canned meals? Who’s done their shopping yet?

grumpy3grumpy3

Judi B wrote:

grumpy there is no water in the creek here so you’d have to cart water from the house to the creek each time, and don’t tell me there’s a hole in the bucket…… not getting out of work that easy 😆

The next option is for the dog to clean them and that does same a lot of work and keeps the dog happy as well.

grumpy3grumpy3

mistyhollows wrote:

Hmm, think I need to go and count toilet rolls, perhaps get a few new buckets when I next head to town next :lol:. I’m working on 4-6 rolls for a family of 4/week, you can never have too much loo paper Miley, but I have no idea where I’d put 300 of them :jawdrop: . But wasn’t the original post about canned meals? Who’s done their shopping yet?

So if you have 300 that would be for a year. Ok that is a couple of packets to store. I ended up putting a shelf above the bath room door, “toilet is in bathroom”. I can get 7 pkt of 12 plus 6 boxes of tissues and 4 towel rolls up there and that is close to 6 months supply.

harooneyharooney

good idea for a shelf over the door. we have high ceilings so could get a fair bit up there. I buy the double roll length as they take up less space. (and need the roll changing less)

grumpy3grumpy3

Then for your tins of food you can either fit draws under the bottom shelf of the kitchen cupd’s or put a false kickboard front on. Depending on the size of your kitchen benches you should be able to store from a 150 to 300 tins of food behind the kick board. Now thats a lot of tins.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

MileyMoon wrote:

BTW 4 weeks is good… less internal panic!

That’s the idea. If I tried to convince everyone to prepare for the apocalypse, people might think I’m crazy or something 😆

Everything we are doing can just be multiplied on a larger scale if people want to prepare for longer, but lets keep it simple for now.

I’ve attached an image of the Coles cans back on the first page so people know which one I’m talking about.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

dixiebelle wrote:

RW, do you blog? You should start one!! Very useful information… maybe reach more people than your fans here on ALS?

Oh god no. ALS suits me fine because I can post whenever I want without feeling like I have to keep up regular posts. Sometimes I’m not on here for a month, depending on my mood and how much time I have.

Besides I don’t want that much attention. I’ll leave the blogging to those more dedicated than me.

grumpy3grumpy3

roadwarrior wrote:

MileyMoon wrote:

BTW 4 weeks is good… less internal panic!

That’s the idea. If I tried to convince everyone to prepare for the apocalypse, people might think I’m crazy or something 😆

RW. Did you really think you would not attract any attention. :uhoh:

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Yeah good point Dennis 😆

mistyhollows wrote:

But wasn’t the original post about canned meals? Who’s done their shopping yet?

Hey has anyone got their 4 cans yet???

harooneyharooney

I’m going shopping shortly.. I did buy an extra 10kg bag of SR flour at the wholesaler this morning.

MileyMoonMileyMoon

I don’t have coles and don’t shop for another 3 weeks… but I took 4 cans out of the cupboard and stashed them in my wardrobe.

1 x Harvest Irish Stew

2 x Baked Beans

1 x Spag

I realise this isn’t quite what you suggested but my kids hate those meals but are happy with baked beans and spag.

I have added this idea to the grocery list and will check them out next time I go shopping. There are 6 of us so I adjusted the amount to 6 tins instead of four. :clap:

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I just did a count of my tinned stuff

4 Baked Beans

4 Spaghetti

4 Soup

4 meals

15 small tuna

3 condensed milk

I intend to get a few more cans each pay week.

RobyneRobyne

The lady I work with got me 60 cans of tuna for $1 each from Cambells cash and carry. They had a special deal on. She also got me some tomaltes for $4 a box that had 24 in. I wish I had gone but having the day off and my phone died she couldn’t get hold of me. but she knew we ate tuna and tomatoes.

Next week Woolies has on special Purex 18 pack for $6.99

Foodland has devondale UHT milk 1 litre for 89c

Doro tomatoes for 59c

safe toilet paper 12 pack for 4.99

We have bed to bed toilet paper under the spare bed. Tissues in the cupaboard and paper towels in the linen press.

This week I want to get Bicarb

borax and washing soda.

I will get $10 worth of those meals never know I might get hungry enough to eat some.:shrug:

missy71missy71

I’ve been lurking on this thread for a while and reading with interest. We kind of do something like this each wet season in preparation for cyclones and are a family of 4. Our highways get cut, occasionally for weeks, just from heavy seasonal rain, so often our supermarkets run very low on stock. If the media mentions the “C” word, then you can guarantee by the end of the day the tinned food sections at the supermarkets are empty!

This past week I bought the book on how to live on $21 a week or whatever it’s called. I wanted to be able to do something similar to prepare for an emergency where we had no access to funds electronically, or heaven forbid, hubby loses his job – or worse. It kind of shows you how to ‘pantry shop’, so in a way this thread is like an extension of that book.

For what it’s worth, we have a large shed and I’m ‘allocated’ a large shelf in there for my stockpile.

I have 8 x 24 pack of loo paper (don’t ask, it’s a genetic condition passed down to me by my 98 year old great-aunty who was convinced the world isn’t worth living in if you ran out of loo paper!), 2 x 2litre bottles of vinegar, 8 tins of tomatoes, 8 tins of tinned spaghetti, 5 small tins of tuna, 1 500g bag of bi-carb, 5 x 2litre long life milk, 2 packs of no-name sao-like dry crackers and 1kg of dried pasta.

I believe that we should add soap to the list. If we get gastro or something from tainted water or food in event of an extended power outage, soap is pretty much a necessity! :p We also have extra bottles of gas at this time of year, as well as 4 jerry cans filled with water for drinking and cooking.

harooneyharooney

All up today I got enough lamb shanks for our family (equiv. of the Coles tins – I’ll try and get to Coles as I’d like to give them a try) plus a 12pck slab of diced tomatoes and 12 extra double length safe loo rolls, bulk packs of spices and dried garlic granules, the 10kg SR flour and 5kg macaroni. Not a bad dent in the food storage when it is listed. That’s the main shop for the fortnight done.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 392 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.