Aussies Living Simply

Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 392 total)
  • Author
    BobbeeBobbee

You might like to check out this thread. We sometimes forget to use search to research a topic but there is a great deal of information about an incredible number of issues on ALS.

https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/home-preserving-food-storage-and-stockpiling/328787-making-your-own-powdered-eggs#331054

:hug:

SnagsSnags

Can you scale it up to run your fridge?

RobyneRobyne

My DIL visted on the weekend and came down with another 25 kilos of Bicarb so we sealed them up in 250g batches.

I have a vacuum sealer [best thing I bought :tup: ]

I did all the sugar a few weeks ago and over 100 kilos of plain flour in each bag I put a bay leaf.

they all were done in 500g bags. all packed away in 55 liter containers

I have just ordered another lot of bags for the next lot.

They are water proof and if stored properly vermin proof.

DennisDennis

Working on it combined with air power ???? can be made to get several thousand volts then stepped down for current if all else fails use it to charge the batteries. But people don’t usually want this old science. I am quite happy with the way it works but word of caution with the extra coils and capacitors etc there is dangerous voltage. Remember the school experiments copper and galve rod driven in the ground usually get about one and a half volts but thats just the basics. have fun.

chesterchester

Wow wow, is all I can say, this thread is still going after all this time. RW it’s good to see.

My own prepping is still going, never stopped :tup: in actual fact now seems to be more urgent than ever before. Been watching Doomsday Prepper and I have the feeling we are still far behind some of those folks. Hubby actually watch last Sonday’s program with me for the first time and he did not mock them, so maybe finally we can start being on the same team. I did rewrite that scenario surviving for 60 days with what you got in your pantry … The Colony … it is on my blog. Really it it would have been great to have lived it for real instead of just writing it. I have been making use of my dehydrator and preserving veggies. Still have to do fruit Mylar bags and absorber are a little more difficult to obtain, but have finally sourced some in Sydney, I don’t want to pay postage as they are not all that cheap. Rather spend the money on Food grade buckets and bins. My hubby did look a little worried when I bought the first black barrel with screw on lid in which I plan to keep chook food.

I better not HiJack this thread any longer but want to thank you all it warms my little heart to see how well you guys are all doing … it was a long read all 26 pages

@ Dennis Mate how is your red anzac corn doing?

SnagsSnags

Dennis post=350572 wrote: Working on it combined with air power ???? can be made to get several thousand volts then stepped down for current if all else fails use it to charge the batteries. But people don’t usually want this old science. I am quite happy with the way it works but word of caution with the extra coils and capacitors etc there is dangerous voltage. Remember the school experiments copper and galve rod driven in the ground usually get about one and a half volts but thats just the basics. have fun.

Sounds interesting have you got any photos?

SnagsSnags

Robyne post=350567 wrote: My DIL visted on the weekend and came down with another 25 kilos of Bicarb so we sealed them up in 250g batches.

what do you do with all the bicarb?

brush teeth and clean and ????

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

even tho I’m not Robyne, :),I use bi-carb for shampoo, toothpaste, and deodorant, plus cleaning

lostinthefoglostinthefog

I wondered about the bicarb too!!

RobyneRobyne

I use it in cleaning, make my own toothpaste,

I make a wonderful spray and wipe that cleans oiloff of truck engines it even surprised me.

4 litres hot water

1/2 cup vinegar

1/2 cup bi carb

2 table spoons euculyptus oil or lavender if you don’t want the stronger smell

mix all together and put in a spray bottle. I use it for everything

Its cheaper then buying it in the super market which most times don’t have it in stock.

I make some sweets with it as well like voilet Crumble

DennisDennis

In view of the damage from Sandy and the number of people still without homes etc the idea of short term emergency stock may need to be revised. Its easy for us to think 3 or 14 day supply but the evidence seems to indicate maybe a month to three months supply. Its only when it happens to us that it sinks in how unprepared we really are in a time of crises. I need to be corrected if I am wrong but some of the main items are food, water, clothing, means of cooking, lights, torches or some backup power, medical.

Pluse all the other stuff, but that is something that those left homeless or without anything seem to need the most.

What are your thoughts on this and should out short term be at least three months supply.

RobyneRobyne

I watched a programme on cyclone Sandy and the experts were showing where the damage was and how it was so bad.

It seems Manhattern’s coast line has been moved over 400 years from Rubbish and dirt for buildings over time

has been dumped to make the coast expand out and houses were built on it..

So where the water ended up was its natural coast line. The show might come back on it was on Nat Geo on th ecable

you might be able to down load it off the web site.

Even one of the experts said to always live inland it is safer then the coast.

I mainly stock pile because my husbands job isn’t that good. One day he has a lot of work next week nothing.

so when I have extra I buy as much as I can, to the point where I can miss out on going shopping.

Having Son 1 and Granddaughter living with us we have to be careful. SOn is like me buys specials and puts them away.

Now we might end up having son2 Dil and grandson here after Christmas. The mine he worked at is closing down

over 3000 men have been laid off. The new owners have offered them their jobs but they have to pay for their own

air fairs , housing and food. It adds another $6000 from their wages each year. I am not worried about Son 2

he will get another job. He’s good at his job.

I buy my Bi carb in bulk as its ahuge savings, sometimes I go halves with a friend.

I also buy flour and sugar in bulk

At Parramount Browns on Churchill road Kilburn SA you can pick up blue juice drums cheap.

Its on the road that goes through to Port Wakefeild rd, Is a good place for men also

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Dennis post=350729 wrote: What are your thoughts on this and should out short term be at least three months supply.

Start small and keep stockpiling each week you go shopping. A little bit at a time adds up. Think about when this thread first began; imaging how much food you could have stockpiled by now if you had bought one can of food each week since then.

Only stop when you run out of room or your partner threatens divorce.

rw

DennisDennis

Thats my thoughts as well so no time to waste.

RobyneRobyne

Its easy to workout what you need for Stockpiling.

Get a book and write down what you eat each week, Like Cereal, milk, generally what you have for your meals.

If you eat 1 tin of tuna a week then you need 52 tins in stock pikle for 1 year.

Toilet paper is usually 1 roll pre toilet we have 2 toilets so we need 2 rolls pre day. So we need 730 rolls a year

I buy mine in 32 packs from Big W so I need 28 packets a year. But we don’t end up using that amount so the year

after I have some left over for extra stock pile. I buy 26 boxes of tissues a year for the flu season. I prefer to

throw the tissues in the fire to kill all the bugs then wash them.

I buy tomatoes when on special if I am low on my preserves. A couple of months ago I got Italian tomatoes for 69c

a tin so I stocked up on them as I use them all the time.

I always buy soup, baked beans and spag in tins as they are quick easy meals for the others when I am not at home

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 392 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.