Aussies Living Simply

Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 392 total)
  • Author
    mistyhollows

Ugh, I have never tried the corned beef in a can but got fed spam as a kid and the thought of eating it again still turns the stomach, I’d have to be really really hungry to go down that path :p

roadwarrior

Yeah me too, hense why I’m focusing on the complete meals. They are far more palatable.

I tried the Aldi Spag Bol for lunch today and it was delicious! Much better than Heinz Big Eat (now the Little Eat). You could taste and see the herbs they’d added to give it real flavour rather than something synthetic. I could easily eat that for lunch any day of the week. A big thumbs up from me. :tup:

busylizzie

DS17 often buys the corned beef in a can for camping and frys it up, says it delish, have to be an improvement on it straight from the can. :rip: Use to buy the cans of complete meals to go into pies, but have found in the last couple of years there is just so little meat in them that I wont buy them anymore. (must get the canner out and can some meals)

smiffy

We gave the butter chicken from Aldi a try for dinner with rice , it was very tasty and spicy not in a hot way , if you like indian food you should like it .

Robyne

No Aldi in SA so we can’t get the same meals all there seems to be here is Black and Gold or the expensive tins.

Foodland has decided to get rid of all their powered milk by Devondale for a $1 a packet which makes up 10 litres. I bought 15 and packed them into better containers with the damp proving in it and sealed the tops. It will be handy for making meals or in an emergency drinking.

I have bought some more Heinz Baked beans for 99c and some more spagetti sauces for the same price. Woolies had Devondale 1 litre UHT milk for 99c this week so we stocked up on it. Having bubs here it doesn’t hurt to have more milk in:D

roadwarrior

Robyne wrote:

Foodland has decided to get rid of all their powered milk by Devondale for a $1 a packet which makes up 10 litres. I bought 15 and packed them into better containers with the damp proving in it and sealed the tops. It will be handy for making meals or in an emergency drinking.

Wow that’s an amazing saving. Good purchase! And if you’ve got the space, put some of those packets in the freezer and they will last until TEOTWAWKI. :tup:

rice bran oil 4 ltr tins are on spec in woolies starting 25th oct(monday) for only $12.99 a tin, bargain as its normally $23. works out at 32c per100ml.

harooney

Chemist Warehouse has Panamax paracetamol for .69c a pack of 100tabs this week. Our local one has quantity restrictions but I pick up a few

each time I stop past.

roadwarrior

Just ate the Aldi Butter Chicken. It tasted nice for a canned curry, but it really lacked in substance. It should have been called “Curried Vegetables with chicken”. I’d be surprised if it met the percentage of meat as stated on the back of the can.

But it was cheap. At $2 a can it offers great variety to the stockpile for a curry eater like me. I’m still hungry after eating it though.

Michelle-sm

RW I thought the same thing about the braised steak and onions, it was mainly gravy without much substance at all. It tasted ok but I won’t buy it again.

Will try the other ones soon.

mistyhollows

Hmm I haven’t bought any of the Aldi canned meals rw. I checked out the ones at Coles and wasn’t too fussed with them. My solution to the meals thing is a jar of organic pasta sauce, tin of tuna and some veges and herbs out of the garden (or whatever is on hand), heat it up and pour over some cooked pasta or rice, we have gas and if necessary wood cooking so I know I could heat food. Tastes yummo, even my kids love it and while not as simple as eating 1 tin on it’s own provides protein and nutrients I don’t believe you will get out of the tinned meals while still using products you can store away. This feeds our family of 4 with leftovers and we actually eat this quite regularly as a tuna pasta bake. They do say store what you eat and eat what you store. That’s my compromise :tup:

roadwarrior

Yeah I think if we are to have any foods that need rotating it will be pasta and white rice. They will help bulk out these foods much better.

Having said that, what I ate today was probably very good for me and would keep me alive quite easily. Going hungry in an emergency is almost guaranteed. I’m spoilt expecting to be full after every meal.

Robyne

I am still learning my new computer its a lot faster than the old one and stuff dissappears.

So here goes.

I found a site that has recipes for amking food in a jar. One is soup you add all the beans dried foods etc and all you add is water. I have soups, cakes and biscuits, They might be worth looking at for long term storage.

Also what about those tablets you get to purifie water. They will be sold at camping stores.Next time I go down to my youngest son I will go and have a look in Aussies camping for them.

I would top up those meals in a tin with rice or potatoes or pasta.

This week is top up week, I need mixed dried fruit. cooking chocolate, white sugar and I can spend $40 on storage food. I done my workout for the groercies. Tin of Bran oil is on the list.

Wombat

I suspect that water purification tabs would be expensive in any large amounts, perhaps just store bleach and/or iodine tincture for water purification.

Nev

mistyhollows

I have bought some of those water purification tablets from the camping store, had to ask for them though they were locked up, then got the 3rd degree from the staff as to why I wanted them :jawdrop: !

There are quite a few in the packet but they were a little on the pricey side, can’t remember how much :shrug: , handy for camping and emergencies though. Bleach would definately be on the cheaper side.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 392 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.