Aussies Living Simply

Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 392 total)
  • Author
    smiffy

I was thinking about the cooking side also. Sunday we had a blackout for 4 hours….so I used my aztec BBQ and boiled some potatos to make potato salad and cooked some steak ,snags and onions on it . Made me realise to stock up on wood and to get some fire friendly cooking utensil.

So yesterday I went out and bought a Billy and a camp pan with a hook to hang from a tri pod . so now i am going to practice using it including cooking bread in my camp oven ..better to have the skills and worked it all out before your put in the situation.

roadwarrior

osakasuz wrote:

What are your long term plans? If you are worried about a world without the facilities we now take for granted, why are you stockpiling foods which rely on these facilities?

First things first. This thread is to get people started in stockpiling. If you inundate them with dire predictions of future global disasters it can seem completely overwhelming. Teach the basics first and get people used to the practice of putting a little extra away each week.

osakasuz wrote:

We don’t stockpile canned goods in our home – personally I don’t trust foods that have been in contact with plastic under heated conditions. We have a decent supply of dried goods (beans, veges, wheat, rice etc) which we eat daily and rotate.

Again, the basics are not to rotate food supplies (which requires more effort and thought) and to make sure the stockpile is available over a very long period. While canned dinners may not be everyone’s cup-of-tea, they will keep you alive, are very easy to prepare with minimal effort (and low tech; ie saucepan and fire) and will last untouched for a very long period. For short term emergencies, which have greater odds of happening than global long term emergencies, canned meals can’t be beat. If you want to preserve your own foods that’s entirely up to you, but not everyone is in the situation where they can.

osakasuz wrote:

your kids may or may not eat what your have thrust upon them. I believe that people cannot be forced to eat – it is, in fact, one thing you can’t force people to do. They will choke rather than eat something they don’t want. And they will get sick from malnutrition long before they learn to eat unfamiliar foods.

I’ve heard people say this a lot, but I’ve never once seen it or heard of it in practice. A day without food will inspire the most finicky of people to tuck in with gusto. I’ve been on treks where I haven’t packed anywhere near enough fats or carbs and I’ve been ready to eat just about anything. Nothing drives a person like real hunger. It’s built into our genetic code to do everything we possibly can to get enough food to eat. If you have over-ridden this basic survival skill with modern city mental programming then there’s not much hope for you in normal life let alone an emergency. And I know that isn’t you osakasuz; you’d be the exact opposite.

Like I’ve already said a few times, I’m not Bear Grylis. These cans contain typical types of meals we’d all eat at some stage. They might taste a bit “false” compared to a home made meal, but a person would eat them well before they became malnourished.

Here’s an example. You are trapped in a widespread flood with ongoing wild weather preventing rescue. Your fridge, freezer and pantry have been compromised by rapidly rising flood waters. The power is off, the landline and mobile are down. It will be at least a week until you can expect rescue. You were just about to make another batch of home preserved food because your normal stockpile had run low due to illness/work commitments/family issues etc etc, but your normally large rotated stockpile is empty.

You can either:

A) Eat from your well preserved stockpile of canned and heat-sealed long life foods. Hopefully your gas BBQ still works and you can use that to heat them. In a pinch you can use a few candles under the can or a saucepan.

B) Catch a bloated cow floating past.

C) Grab onto a snake swimming by your front door and bite it’s head off, Bear Grylis style.

or D) none of the above.

Wombat

smiffy wrote:

I was thinking about the cooking side also. Sunday we had a blackout for 4 hours….so I used my aztec BBQ and boiled some potatos to make potato salad and cooked some steak ,snags and onions on it . Made me realise to stock up on wood and to get some fire friendly cooking utensil.

So yesterday I went out and bought a Billy and a camp pan with a hook to hang from a tri pod . so now i am going to practice using it including cooking bread in my camp oven ..better to have the skills and worked it all out before your put in the situation.

woo hoo!:tup:

Nev

grumpy3

roadwarrior wrote:

Here’s an example. You are trapped in a widespread flood with ongoing wild weather preventing rescue. Your fridge, freezer and pantry have been compromised by rapidly rising flood waters. The power is off, the landline and mobile are down. It will be at least a week until you can expect rescue. You were just about to make another batch of home preserved food because your normal stockpile had run low due to illness/work commitments/family issues etc etc, but your normally large rotated stockpile is empty.

RW. Most people that preserve there fruit and veggies will have a good amount stored because there supply will be seasonal most times. For me if I do mulberies I do enough to last the 12 months. Its the same for everything I have preserved almost 12 months supply.

But for most people in a cyclone or flood area they would have a couple weeks of cans or what ever. I can tell you I have done a stupid thing just recently and thats let my stock of weet bix go down. The packet was empty so went to get another and shock none there. Normally I have 6 to 8 packets woe is me. Thats what you get for doing to many things at once.

Dennis

osakasuz

Well said, Dennis and agreed.

LOL about the Weetbix! Nothing worse than having none of your favourite brekky on hand!

Apologies RW – I seemed to have overlooked the fact that this is a ‘short-term’ stockpile plan for beginners…. and you forgot E) Eat each other! πŸ˜†

osakasuz wrote:

Apologies RW – I seemed to have overlooked the fact that this is a ‘short-term’ stockpile plan for beginners…. and you forgot E) Eat each other! πŸ˜†

hahaha always an option i guess

eeeuuuuwww

mistyholows wrote

*be too much of an issue but we use a chain saw to chop wood and if petrol was not available how many of us have a saw that is going to do the job??? I think that saw may well be next on our purchase list!*

but misty , what do u do when the saw gets blunt from all that chopping of wood?

gotta then have something to sharpen it with

grumpy3

but misty , what do u do when the saw gets blunt from all that chopping of wood?

The saw is normally used to saw/cut the logs and axe or block splitter is used to chop / split the blocks.

Sharpen it, Well thats another skill I guess.

Dennis

roadwarrior

osakasuz wrote:

Yes well, that goes without saying πŸ˜€

My wife and I joke often when we see someone who is a slave to modern culture…”we’ll eat them one day” is the common phrase.

We’re only half joking πŸ˜‰

mistyhollows

grumpy3 wrote:

The saw is normally used to saw/cut the logs and axe or block splitter is used to chop / split the blocks.

Sharpen it, Well thats another skill I guess.

Dennis

Ahh yes the blocksplitter we have already in use :D, the saw we need to add and probably a few extra new blades and something to sharpen it with! We have a chainsaw chain sharpener thingo πŸ˜† but that’s not going to be much use if the electricity is out so I think we need to have a backup.

I think I may dehydrate all those broadbeans I picked over the weekend. If the electricity goes out and they’re stored in the freezer πŸ™

roadwarrior

WEEK 4 – Canned meals

Yes, you guessed it. This week is four more canned meals. This is the last of these types of meals in this current stockpile program, but of course it’s always a good idea to have more if you need them or you have a large family.

From previous posts it has been established that Aldi is a good alternative to the discontinued Coles meals. I haven’t tried them yet but will give taste test results of them shortly.

Current Total = ~$47

smiffy

I just come back from Coles where they are clearing out their Coles brand of organic baked beans for 55cents ….

They only had 6 tins left , so I bought them .

Robyne

I picked up a good book from the library the other day called “One Magic Square ” by Lolo Houbein its about growing your own food in a square metre of growund and on page 79 was a write up about an interview given in 2004 about food

A square metre will supply you with 1/10th of your annual needs for food. He said that periodically world food reserves in storage drop to less than one months supply. More fish is fed to feed fish in aquaculture than comes on the market and that the oceans will get fished out in the foreseeable future. In first worls countries more grain is feed to animals–those we eat, those that work and those that run the races–than is consumed by humans.

Its food for thought

roadwarrior

smiffy wrote:

I just come back from Coles where they are clearing out their Coles brand of organic baked beans for 55cents ….

Well done smiffy. That’s a great price. They must be discontinuing them as well, or lowering the weight of the food but keeping the price the same.

mistyhollows

smiffy wrote:

We bought a heap of these on the weekend too but Coles still had plenty there and they certainly weren’t on sale πŸ™ . Perhaps it’s an individual store thing?? They have tins of organic spaghetti too for those that don’t like b/beans.

I think the store cupboards shelves are going to collapse after my restock on the weekend πŸ˜†

roadwarrior

Bought a selection of the Aldi meals; Braised Beef and Veges, Sausage and Veges, Butter Chicken, and Spaghetti. I refrained from buying a few of the other cans like the rogan josh and chicken korma as the percentages of meat were extremely low. Even the percentages in the cans I did buy were lower than I thought they’d be (as previously reported???), but they were still comparable to the more common commercial cans.

Aldi also has affordable options for spam and ham-in-a-can, if you’re into that sort of thing. Energy content from the spam is huge, but I don’t think you could eat much of it even if you were really hungry.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 392 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.