Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 392 total)
  • Author
    smiffysmiffy

I checked out Aldi today and found ” mega meals” in a can for $1.99

Irish Stew , Vegetables and minced beef, Vegetables & Sausage.

I bought a can of each to try …..guess what we are having for dinner tonight !!! Hubby said he likes meals in a can it remind him of when he was in the army ….just punch 2 holes in the can put it in some boiling water , when the food starts to come out the holes its ready to eat ( so he tells me )…I will let you know the verdict tomorrow .

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

thanks smiffy, I will check out Aldi tomorrow and see if they have them here.

Also heartburn tablets have been added to the list.

I have a few repeat prescritions for Nexium which is for heartburn and was wondering wether(whether?) to fill them.:shrug:

DH is in hospital atm with pneumonia and I am filling all his repeat scripts for antibiotics. He would have died without mega doses of antibiotics. I wish I had more access to them as I think they will be vital in an emergency.

smiffysmiffy

We heated up the Aldi canned meals , Hubby had 2 tins ( hes a big bloke ), I had 1 tin the sausage and veges . We both thought they were tasty and could eat them no worries in a crisis.

This made us think ” how much should you eat in a survival situation ?” I think most of us over eat , so how much do you need to stay alive and healthy? We always joke we would die last as we have plenty of body fat to keep us going !

I also saw coles had coles bottled spring water 1.5 litres , 6 per pkt for $3.99 , which is cheap compared to other branded waters

I wonder why coles is clearing their branded items out ! first the cans now their water .

roadwarriorroadwarrior

smiffy wrote:

I wonder why coles is clearing their branded items out ! first the cans now their water .

This is Standard Operating Procedure before increasing prices of products.

I’d forgotten Aldi stocked cans of meals because the Aldi’s near me don’t have them. There’s another affordable and tasty alternative. Will done smiffy.

Any details as to the nutritional content? Protein, calories etc?

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Michelle-sm wrote:

He would have died without mega doses of antibiotics. I wish I had more access to them as I think they will be vital in an emergency.

DW had a strep infection in her throat last week. She kindly (without her knowledge) participated in a blind scientific experiment where I gave her a box of my frozen stockpile of antibiotics (amoxycillin). Cleared the infection up just fine, and she still has all her fingers and toes, which is always a bonus 😆

How’s your DH going Michelle? I hope it’s not too serious…although pneumonia always is.

ccBearccBear

Coles will be doing the same as Woolies. New label. New Look come in sucker.

By the way do you know that Coles plain brand chicken stock does not contain any chicken only chemical’s.

smiffysmiffy

Here is the Nutritional content of Aldi 400g Mega Meal

Vegetables with minced beef – 2 serves per can

these figures are for 1 serve

688 kj

11.2g protein

8.6g fat

8.4g carbs

640mg sodium

Irish Stew

564 kj

9.2g protein

4.2g fat

13.6g carbs

640mg sodium

Veges & sausage

626 kj

7.4g protein

6.6g fat

13.4g carbs

860 mg sodium

Let us know if they meet our nutritional requirements…

RobyneRobyne

No Aldi in SA no sign of them either.

Got a couple of tins of Irish Stew from IGA their own brand, Woolies used to have their own brand at one time.

Picked up a can of corned mutton haven’t seen those since I was about 10 Mum used to get them for Dads lunch it cost me about $4.15 but I thought if Hubby liked it I will get a couple more for the stock pile as they would make a nice lunch meal. Tin was the same size as Harvest tin.

The honey lollies are hard boiled and has Eucyliptus in them. No worries with the jelly beans once Bubs sees them they will dissapear a fast as the eye can see.

Got a couple of packets of preserving rings in number 3 and 4 have lots of lids but the rings aren’t sold over here.only in Mitre 10. I also picked up a couple of packets of loose tea. What is left, I can make a cake with, so nothing will get thrown out then the leaves can go onto the veggie patch.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Do they have a percentage of meat in the ingredients?

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

How’s your DH going Michelle? I hope it’s not too serious…although pneumonia always is.

he came home from hospital today and is doing much better although still very tired and coughing alot. He has another week on 2 types of antibiotics.

I have collected about 5 boxes of antibiotics now, is it best to keep them in the freezer?

I bought some of the Aldi mega meals today, some were definitely better than others.

The Sausage and Veg one had very little meat in it so I stuck with the Braised steak and Onion @ 35% beef(australian beef) & 1440kj per can, the Irish Stew @ 20% mutton &1128kj per can, and the Vegetables and Miced Beef @ 26% beef & 1336kj per can.

The Braised Steak & Onions is by far the best with 29.2gm protein per can and providing it tastes ok I will stick with that one. I will try it out on the weekend.

RobyneRobyne

Black and gold meals have about the same as Aldi meals for their ingredients, Hubby likes them so more for him. I don’t mind the little sausages in a can

I have made a stew with a tin of Irish stew tin of potatoes and a tin of peas makes a big meal have eaten that.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Michelle-sm wrote:

is it best to keep them in the freezer?

I’ll confirm this shortly. So far the answers I’ve received don’t appear to fit what I know about antibiotics. There’s a blog called Armageddon Medicine where I’ve posted a question…still waiting for it to be answered though.

My own experiments appear to suggest you can.

Michelle-sm wrote:I bought some of the Aldi mega meals today, some were definitely better than others.

The Aldi meals seem fantastic. Better than the lately lamented Coles meals in fact! :tup:

gleanertgleanert

The reason why it is often lethal to go to hospital is the past indiscriminate use of antibiotics with the development of rampant multi-resistant staphs, vancomycin resistant enterococci,..etc etc etc etc

Even on an individual level, it can leave you at a compromised condition in the future due to allowing bugs not treated completely or treated with the wrong antibiotic developing resistances.

Tragedy of the commons amongst other things….:rip:

I thought there was enough education out there to know self-administering antibiotics as dangerous on both an individual and community level. :rip:

roadwarriorroadwarrior

What’s the difference between me taking the antibiotics out of my cupboard, or going to my doctor who has never once refused to give me antibiotics?

I know if I have an infection better than he does. Just because I don’t have a Dr in front of my name doesn’t mean I’ don’t know when I’m sick, and it also doesn’t mean I don’t know what MRSA or VRE are.

More often than not I hold back on the antibiotics even if they have been prescribed, for just that reason. I’ll fill the script though and add to my stockpile of medicines. Why??? I’ve lost count the amount of times a blinding ear infection has woken me up in the middle of the night and there are no doctors available and no pharmacies open.

Thanks all the same, but I know what I’m doing when I take an antibiotic.

gleanertgleanert

roadwarrior wrote:

What’s the difference between me taking the antibiotics out of my cupboard, or going to my doctor who has never once refused to give me antibiotics?

“a Doctor has never refused to give me antibiotics”

this implies YOU go to the Doctor and ASK for antibiotics. This is part of the problem. I’d try and find another Doctor but thats hard because of the Doctor crisis. Various factors such as stress, inexperience and burn-out are resulting in some Drs just writing a script to get rid of the patient and get the next patient in from the long line. Also, Doctors often do it because they are human, and feel the expectation that they need to be seen to being doing something and must be able to cure everything (ie. society putting God in front of their names). However, alot of this type of ‘care’ should be happening less with education.

I’d also, try and get off the idea that antibiotics are the answer. Seek and explore alternatives and preventions. Learn about the mode of transmission and sources of the varying bugs. Identify when you are at risk or vulnerable to attack and alter your behaviour during that time.

Thirdly, if you think you need antibiotics or the Doctor wants you to have antibiotics, request blood serology and/or microbiology screening.

Keep in mind that when you are really compromised and vulnerable to DIE from an infection is when your skin integrity is not intact( having surgery or injuried), medically ill or/and in hospital. Thats when you WANT antibiotics to WORK – you don’t want to have caused your body to have built up weapons to fight the antibiotics leaving you at risk of dying or having your leg, arm, nose removed because of an antibiotic resistant infection.

Lastly, if you can determine what strain and type etc of infection you have and its sensitivities without any serology then the medical world needs you and you probably could be up for the noble peace prize. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 392 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.