Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 392 total)
  • Author
    roadwarriorroadwarrior

There’s a few stockpiling threads for peak oil (and other issues) out there, but I thought after so much interest in the Oil Shockwave thread I’d help inspire others to prepare themselves.

The essence of this will be weekly/monthly suggestions for specific stockpile items. Most ideas will be on a strict low budget to assist everyone attempt to prepare for a least a 4 week emergency. Some people on ALS may have more food than that in their freezer + cupboard, so consider this an addition to your current stockpile + 4 weeks.

Some items are able to be multiplied for an even longer emergency, but they’ll come later when the essential items are gathered first.

This type of stockpile doesn’t necessarily have to apply to peak oil. It can be a financial crisis, earthquake, major storm damage or flooding etc. that can require reliance on your own supply of food and equipment. However there is more and more evidence coming out every day that a major crisis will be encountered between 2012-2015. The time to prepare for this was yesterday.

You can choose to modify my suggestions for your own specific situation or budget requirements, or if you already have those items.

I’ll be updating the schedule in-real-time, just like the Shockwave scenario, to assist in a realistic timeframe to fill your stockpile.

Inputs and suggestions are more than welcome!

roadwarriorroadwarrior

WEEK 1 – Canned meals

This week’s/month’s theme is canned food. Out of any item this is the most essential requirement when it comes to surviving an emergency. It’s convenitly stored, relatively inexpensive and quick and easy to prepare.

Coles “You’ll love Coles” 400g complete meals in a can represent the best value for money, nutritional requirements and taste. These are green labelled cans as apposed to the homebrand black and white cans (which I didn’t like eating too much). I’ve found the best of their selection are the Irish Stew and mild Chicken Curry. They have a much higher meat content (~26%) than even the more expensive brands (~13%), and don’t taste too bad. Runners up are the medium Beef Curry and Beef Stroganoff, with the stroganoff the clear winner of almost any canned complete meal product for energy content (1030kJ).

These cans have a convenient ring-pull for opening. They cost around $2.50 each, so a purchase of four this week will set you back $10 on top of your normal grocery bill. If you keep to this schedule of 4 each week for four weeks, that’s 16 cans; what I’d consider to be one meal each day for one person.

If your budget is tighter you may want to consider buying two each week over a longer period of two months.

Some people may not have access to Coles. An alternative is Woolworths who sell Harvest 425g cans, but they are more expensive and require a can opener. There are also Big Eats (with a ring-pull), but I’d only buy them when they are on special. I lived off the Big Eat 535g Spaghetti Bolognese for a week and they weren’t too bad.

Select cans that are undamaged. Store them in a relatively cool place (not in the roof) and they will last almost indefinitely. Ensure they are kept dry also.

Current total is $10.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

I think this is a great idea, we are already well underway but new ideas are always handy.

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

I second that, great idea.

I find the whole stockpiling thing a bit confusing and overwhelming.

I have done it before but not very successfully.

I have a few health issues which means I have a restricted diet so I will have to come up with alternative canned meals for myself but my hubby will be happy to eat the Coles meals.

After thinking about this I realised that in an emergency I would pretty much eat whatever I had access too if the alternative was going hungry. I might pay for it the next day though.:|

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I’ll be following this as well, Ive already got some stuff but this thread may give me some new ideas.

MileyMoonMileyMoon

This is fabulous! I like direction… sometimes!

I have been stockpiling in a rather haphazard way… :uhoh: if it’s on special or I can buy it in bulk and have the money, then I have been stashing some away…

Storage space is a real issue though! We have a shipping container and I was wondering if that would get too hot during summer to store food. We have only just got it so I have no idea how hot it will get in there.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Michelle-sm wrote:

I second that, great idea.

I find the whole stockpiling thing a bit confusing and overwhelming.

I have done it before but not very successfully.

I have a few health issues which means I have a restricted diet so I will have to come up with alternative canned meals for myself but my hubby will be happy to eat the Coles meals.

After thinking about this I realised that in an emergency I would pretty much eat whatever I had access too if the alternative was going hungry. I might pay for it the next day though.:|

I too have some health issues Michelle which mean I cannot eat many of the prepackaged meals and was wondering tonight how to overcome this. I cannot eat the additives in the preprepared meals and have to buy organic to get around this alot of the time which means there are limitations to what I can eat so I may have to look at alternative tinned foods although I do need to check the additives on the meals RW has mentioned and I think I’ll check the Coles online shopping site to see what organic meals they sell if any. Perhaps we can come up with some alternatives for those with allergies etc and post them if we do, if RW doesn’t mind?

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

For those with allergies or vegetarian, I have just checked the Sanitarium website (Woolies sell their canned produce) and here is a link below for similar items to what RW has mentioned:

http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/vegetarian/vegie-delights-canned/country-hotpot

roadwarriorroadwarrior

mistyhollows wrote:

Perhaps we can come up with some alternatives for those with allergies etc and post them if we do, if RW doesn’t mind?

Mind? I’d encourage it.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

MileyMoon wrote:

Storage space is a real issue though! We have a shipping container and I was wondering if that would get too hot during summer to store food. We have only just got it so I have no idea how hot it will get in there.

I have the rather unfortunate experience of having to work in a shipping container in summer, and it’s not a nice place to be.

If it’s half or completely burried it would be perfect, but they end up like solar ovens if exposed to full sunlight.

dixiebelledixiebelle

RW, do you blog? You should start one!! Very useful information… maybe reach more people than your fans here on ALS?

MileyMoonMileyMoon

roadwarrior wrote:

MileyMoon wrote:

I have the rather unfortunate experience of having to work in a shipping container in summer, and it’s not a nice place to be.

If it’s half or completely burried it would be perfect, but they end up like solar ovens if exposed to full sunlight.

The container gets some shade and we are thinking of making a roof out of a tarp with an air space between the container and the tarp.

I’ll monitor the temp for a while before I stash food in there. At least I know the dunny paper will be safe in there. 🙂

SmileySmiley

Thank you for starting this thread, RW. I feel completely overwhelmed when it comes to stockpiling so have only made small steps. Weekly guidelines are a fantastic idea and very much appreciated!

Thank you also Mistyhollows for the vegetarian alternative suggestion…hubby and I are both veg.

Dixiebell, I have been following your blog for a while and find it very inspirational…our food forest is slowing coming along…Thank you.

I now feel as though I have a bit of a plan, though storage is an issue. I’m thinking plastic tubs (affordable) under the house??

harooneyharooney

At our local Rite Price (clearance grocer) in SA I bought one pack of lamb shanks in red wine and rosemary gravy. It is in a heavy plastic satchel, no added msg or preservatives and sits on a shelf. I thought it might be something good to store. They still had 7-8 months “best before” date wise so not as long term as cans, but using the principle of rotation and storing what you eat, it looked like a good shelf food. Perhaps it would store longer bought from a regular supermarket. I think the reason they were there is that the little side slits were on the bottom instead of the top of the packaging.

The contents are fully cooked, just need warming. 3 mins in a micro or 8 mins in boiling water, or however you like. eat it cold if need be.

So I tried it last night and it was absolutely delicious! Plenty of real meat, tender but something to sink your teeth into, cooked on the bones (so you get the flavour and benefits) and lots of mouth watering sauce that would be very yummy over veg, mash (instant if need be) or rice. enough for two tasty serves I think depending on your appetite and needs (though it says 1 serve). So it’s not a real cheap alternative, @ just under $5 a pack, and needing side dishes but for a tasty alternative to cans, it is pretty good and you would enjoy eating it normally. :tup:

energy 2944kj

protein 67.2

fat 40g

carb 19

sodium 1196mg

ETA importantly, the kids and teens gave it the thumbs up too!

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Smiley wrote: I’m thinking plastic tubs (affordable) under the house??

This is exactly what I do. Even during the hottest days of summer, under the house is always cool. The ground is usually moist, and dry air circulating through the vents causes evaporation of the ground moisture, cooling the air the same way as an evaporative air-conditioner.

I wish I had a better house though that had a workshop and some extra rooms underneath the main residence that I could use for storage. I can but dream…

I have about 12 plastic tubs that I bought from Bunnings back when they were $8 each. They are $12 now, so not so affordable, but they can hold a lot and protect contents from contact with the moist ground and keep mice out. Aside from having to crawl under the house and extract them, in an emergency that requires you to vacate your house quickly this can be an easy way to pile a lot of stuff in the car or trailer for a relatively quick escape.

Of course this is no good if you have a concrete slab or an apartment.

Whatever you do don’t store food in the roof. Use that space for storing equipment or old stuff you don’t use anymore (but wrap it in plastic because the roof can be incredibly dirty). By doing this you may free up space for food storage in the house.

MileyMoon: you could apply this principle to your shipping container.

You’ll find that most kitchens have cupboard space that isn’t easily accessible and this is where you usually store stuff that rarely or never gets used. Wrap this stuff up, put it in the roof, and start stocking cans in the same place.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 392 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.