Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Stock Piling in case of Crisis/Emergency/Catastrophe

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Stock Piling in case of Crisis/Emergency/Catastrophe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    mistyhollowsmistyhollows

I’ve been reading about this on a few international papers for a day or so now but it’s finally in the Aus papers.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/is-the-us-heading-for-war-with-iran-20111103-1mxks.html

What would you stockpile that you haven’t already, if this was to eventuate? Oil prices will apparently go through the roof if they go to all out war.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Folks, happy to discuss stockpiling, but discussion on whether war is justified or not is not within the bounds of Aussies Living Simply and if that starts to happen, thread will be deleted.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Sorry Lady B, I was asking about stockpiling. I don’t wish to hear personal opinions either about justifications. By all means delete thread if you feel it is necessary.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Not necessary to delete yet. I was just getting in quick. 🙂

owlbrudderowlbrudder

mistyhollows post=328605 wrote: Oil prices will apparently go through the roof if they go to all out war.

Anything that sends oil prices through the roof will adversely affect us in Oz, as so much of our economy is totally dependent upon timely and economical shipment of goods. The good news is that electricity should not be a problem for most places, except those dependent upon oil or diesel generators. The bad news is to expect your local supermarket to have supply problems and what they can get will become significantly more expensive.

What to stock up on? All the basic foodstuffs, all tinned goods, frozen items if you can trust the electricity supply. It is prudent to stock up as if you knew the supermarket, grocer, butcher etc. were going to shut down for a month from tomorrow. Figure out what you consume and buy accordingly. Oh, and don’t forget the soap and toilet paper .

just tryingjust trying

The stockpiling of supplies for an extended period of time regardless of the reason is a futile effort to sustain life. If we got to the stage where we needed to live entirely off our own supplies then it would be the result of an Earth wide catastrophe. If there was no food to be gotten from normal supplies then we would have to ensure we had stockpiled the basics of life for several years at least. Food, water, medicine, clothing and bedding would be in short supply; these are the things we would need to stockpile. However, hunger and cold bring out the worst in people and our stockpile would need to be very much guarded and protected from those without. Depending on the cause of the catastrophe it may very well be decades before life returned to “normal”. It has been estimated that if a full scale nuclear war were to take place then the whole surface of the Earth would be plunged into a nuclear winter which may take months to encircle the globe and a year or more to clear. As a direct result most of the plants and animal species would have died off. Life on Earth post nuclear winter would be vastly different to Earth today. Whole food chains would be destroyed and many of our herbaceous food animals wiped out.

What would I stockpile; enough basic and nutritious canned food to last for one year, as much of the medication I required for as long as possible, water purification tablets, clothing and blankets, matches and much of, and as many varieties of vegetable seeds as I could get. Finally something to protect myself with; remember Human life may not be valued as it is today relative to a meal.

Will it ever get to that stage? I don’t think so; the world powers know full well it’s not worth cutting off your nose to spite your face.

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

mistyhollows post=328605 wrote:

What would you stockpile that you haven’t already.

Mmmmm. Hard one MH, probably Ammo :whistle: Another timely reminder to get the stockpiles more organized. (which shouldnt just include food)

owlbrudderowlbrudder

just trying post=328650 wrote: If we got to the stage where we needed to live entirely off our own supplies then it would be the result of an Earth wide catastrophe.

True, but the question relates to USA war with Iran and I was answering in the context of expecting disruptions, not total collapse. It is prudent, however, to realise that total collapse of the supply chain is bound to occur when oil prices become so high that the economy cannot function at all. In that case, it will be everyone for him/her self and no amount of stockpiling will solve the problem. When will that happen? When oil becomes scarce, which Peak Oil tells us is a certainty and I expect it to happen in my lifetime. Will it happen if the USA fights Iran? I doubt it. Have I ever been wrong? Yes.

Michael1973Michael1973

I expect luxury items and anything not produced locally would rise significantly in price due to fuel supply uncertainty. I will be filling out my garden as best as i can to get some more vege patch area and then work on some aquaculture projects. I will be trading my petrol V6 on a diesel 4cyl very soon.

In my case i cant realistically protect my property from the hordes of unwashed 😛 as i live in suburbia. Dodgy suburbia at that. I will be going for concealment as protection from those who dont have. Followed by ‘get the hell out of dodge’ as soon as i can.

Have a look at what you consume and where it comes from. If it isnt from your immediate area start to make some stockpiles of that.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

I don’t think the US can afford a war with Iran anymore. Israel on the other hand may provoke one, given Iran’s saber-rattling over nuclear enrichment programs.

We’ve run this scenario previously at Immediate Threat – Oil Shockwave Scenario

and there’s a stockpile schedule for this sort of thing at Stockpile schedule for short term emergency

just trying post=328650 wrote: The stockpiling of supplies for an extended period of time regardless of the reason is a futile effort to sustain life.

I strongly disagree. A stockpile is a buffer against instant hardship. It allows you to supplement the food you can source in a crisis, and it gives you time to get your garden in order or to hunt for food.

Just ask the people on ALS from the south-east QLD area who heeded my advice about a stockpile and played along with the Stockpile schedule linked above. When the flood hit and the wide-spread impact became apparent, supermarket shelves cleared out almost immediately and a lot of supply lines were cut for extended periods.

Having a stockpile gives you breathing space, whether the water is lapping at your doorstep or missiles are blazing across the sky.

White rice, canned meals, canned fruit, pasta and water. They are easy, inexpensive things to keep on hand that might just make you a survivor, not a victim.

rw

roadwarriorroadwarrior

busylizzie post=328653 wrote: Mmmmm. Hard one MH, probably Ammo :whistle: Another timely reminder to get the stockpiles more organized. (which shouldnt just include food)

I think you already know my opinion on this, but I don’t push it on ALS because it doesn’t feel like the right place. The vibe on here is too warm and fuzzy for such things, and I think I’m enough of a dark cloud to compensate, without having to discuss ammo and guns. I’m happy to talk about them in private messages though, if people would like advice.

The world is a chaotic place right now. The potential for an economic disaster is growing every day. By this time next year I don’t think the Euro will exist any more, and there will be more than one collapsed state. How that will effect us is anyone’s guess.

Time could prove me wrong. We should revisit this thread in 12 months too see how bad my predictions are. But it doesn’t hurt to be ready for it just in case.

rw

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

You know RW your previous thread is what started me thinking when I read the article.

I really do need to sit down and look at what we would need over the next 12 months that does not include food items. Yes it provides security to have them but what else do we use that may not be readily available or would be just too ridiculously expensive to buy as an imported item. Toothbrushes, shoes, clothes etc. How many of us have kids that grow so quickly you feel like you are buying the next size up as soon as you have finished buying the previous size? I try to keep a season ahead with the kids clothes but I know with shoes I don’t, I buy seasonally as they need fitting and they are most likely imported from China along with just about everything else this country does not manufacture itself. We have so few local manufacturers in this country now that what there is would in no way be able to support the industry it would find itself in.

I think the result of such a situation would be that the price of petrol will go through the roof and hence we will be paying more at the pump but also in the shops and things we have become used to may well become scarce.

It gives more fuel for thought to buy local and support those industries where we can to keep them alive.

nessienoonessienoo

“Just ask the people on ALS from the south-east QLD area who heeded my advice about a stockpile and played along with the Stockpile schedule linked above. When the flood hit and the wide-spread impact became apparent, supermarket shelves cleared out almost immediately and a lot of supply lines were cut for extended periods.”

I was one of them! And, I’ve maintained my prep’s ever since.

At present, I would add more pet foods, seeds and filters for my water purifier set-up. What I term “cross-over foods” would be next to bulk up – items I can feed to humans and to the pets in a pinch.

There are already a lot of good ideas listed in this thread 🙂 I view the hardy, high protein, perennial food plants that I am trying to establish as part of an eventual “stockpile” (pigeon pea, drumstick tree, and comfrey are a few examples for a subtropical climate). I am also trying to stockpile “knowledge” about edible, nutritious weeds and other types of forage. Just a few more ideas…

owlbrudderowlbrudder

roadwarrior post=328670 wrote: … things to keep on hand that might just make you a survivor, not a victim.

There are two types of survivor: short-term and long-term. Stockpiling will help one become a short-term survivor, that short term being the length of time one’s supplies last. To be a long-term survivor, one must become dependent upon what can be grown, made, or bartered and one must be prepared to defend what one has against modern bush-rangers. It is the long-term survival strategies which cause me most introspection. Am I tough enough to shoot first and ask questions later? Will lynch mobs become a replacement for justice, when law and order breaks down? Do I even want to live in such a world? And, most importantly, where will I get my next chocolate fix from?

Troubling times indeed. :dry:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.