Aussies Living Simply

stink beetle problem

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lin

When I went for my evening walk around the orchard, I noticed many orange coloured stink beetles (?) on our lemonade tree:( Leaves have been chewed, so I assume they are the culprits 👿 I would love some advice on how to get rid of these critters. Husband suggests spraying with an ordinary fly spray. Any thoughts??

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

I tried the fly spray many years ago and it wasn’t very successful. If there aren’t too many, you can knock them off into a bucket of very hot, soapy water, but I would suggest wearing rubber gloves and a face shield of some sort as the ‘spray’ they put out is revolting.

Splash

I had a massive infestation last year. I went around picking them off and dropping them into soapy hot water which worked well. But then my husband started up his fire hose and on high pressure blasted the tree. They all fell to the ground where I could pick them up and dispose of them. It worked so well I didn’t see many more again that season.

This season I have picked off a couple here and there but nothing like last time.

It definately works. Unfortunately I don’t know of any sprays that work.

Splash

urbanhippy

Hey I had heaps of these last year. if you put soapy water in a spray bottle and spray it on them (they seem to come out to bask in the morning sun at the top of my broad beans. also the kids think this is fun as long as you let them know that the bugs are the only thing that get sprayed!!!! My chooks won’t eat them and I don’t blame them!

lngferretter

Hmmm – if you want to use a spray Confidor works well – but best option is using a vacuum cleaner – you might need a really big bag and extension cord if you have an orchard………..:woohoo:

bushy

This is the worst year I have ever seen for them, so many on my citrus they were actually over lapping one and other along the stems..

Small infestations most of the above work, altho I tried vacuuming and it didnt work…maybe needed a more powerful machine .

No “natural” spray seems to work for me, tried blending them into a smoothie then fermenting for a while, then spraying, works with a lot of other pests but not these things.

Dont let their juice get in your eyes or even the tender areas of skin, it will burn badly enough to cause a scab to form.

They will cause large losses of fruit by sucking the sap from the tips of the tender new shoots, unfortunately this is where the young fruit is forming.

They wont eat the leaves on citrus, they are purely sap suckers.

Lin

Thank you all. I will go out and try dumping them into hot soapy water first. Thanks too for the warnings. Nasty little things aren’t they! My extension cord won’t make it all the way to the tree :laugh: so I won’t be able to try that. If the hot water treatment doesn’t work I might go for Confidor. We have a lot of citrus trees and so far they seem to only go for this tree. Time is of the essence I think.

Ta again and have a great day.

Wombat

Yeah, they’ve been a bit bad for me too, I use the pick-off-and-dump-in-soapy-water stunt but I use long nose pliers to avoid direct contact with the stinky little beggars. I don’t think they like me much.:)

Nev

bdm6125

Do they have ANY natural preditors?

Wombat

I once saw a bird eat a couple. When I described the bird to a friend she said it was a black faced cuckoo shrike. So there you go!

Nev

bushy

Brigitte, I have seen the spangled drongos eating them

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.