Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Steve's Joint

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 231 total)
  • Author
    BobbeeBobbee

hehehe   Some blue tack and sticky tape may help Steve.

Mr Bobbs gets all poetical when the subject of Briggs and Stratton engines is brought up. 

We have a mulcher too Steve, it’s a great feeling to be able to mulch your own choppings and cuttings and stuff and use it

to advantage on the gardens.  

🙂

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Nothing from the garden leaves my place Bobbs apart from the odd weed seed head which ends up in the rubbish bin. It all gets mulched and the branches too big to be mulched get cut up into foot long pieces and put under fruit trees as mulch/animal shelter/chook deterrent. Those chooks have big feet and without the bits of branches there, everything gets scratched out.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

We just had 10mm of rain in a storm. It’s so nice afterwards. My veges and the other gardens loved it. I presently have snow peas, carrots, garlic, welsh onions, potato onions, tree onions, tomatoes, corn, lettuce, swedes, beetroot, silver beet, kale and beans growing in the vege garden. Heaps of other things dotted around the place too like strawberries and parsley.

BobbeeBobbee

Sounds like the reward for lots of work Steve.  Well done.  It’s amazing comparing the gardens response to

rain as compared to watering by hose or can.   I so enjoy popping out to the garden to pick the wherewithal to make salad, stir fry or soup.

:(|)

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

I thought I’d do a bit of an update as it’s been a while. Those of you who are in the ALS Facebook group will have already seen these images but some of you may not have.

The next five photos were taken about a month ago on the 19th October. I’m quite happy with my ornamental garden this year.

19th Oct

19th Oct

19th Oct

19th Oct

19th Oct
    This shot shows the vegies a month ago.

We’ve had a pair of willy wagtails nest on a rafter on our front veranda. They laid three eggs which all hatched on the 29th October. Exactly fourteen days later the three young birds left the nest and headed off into the wide world.

29th Oct
    Newborns

12th Nov
    Ready for the world.

The vegie garden has been keeping us well fed. I’ve been doing much better with staggered plantings this year so avoiding gluts followed by nothing at all.

12th Nov
    Carrots in monthly plantings, Judi B’s triffids (welsh onions), garlic, potato onions, tree onions.

12th Nov
    Zucchini, tomatoes (beefsteak), sweet corn, beans (purple king).

12th Nov
    Baby corn and cucumbers on their way.

This year has been very dry and hot. I’ve been recording the weather at my place (see the link to my weather page) and this chart shows our rainfall to date this year. On average we’d normally have received 730mm of rain by now but this year we’ve only managed 346mm. If it wasn’t for March and August, things would be grim. Oh, and they are predicting 42° here on Sunday. :((

2014 Rainfall chart
    2014 rainfall comparison with the Boonah 100 year average
    SteveSteve
    Keymaster

I have a new toy! The Arduino microcontroller. I have so many ideas on how I can use it but before I do that I have to learn how to use it. And that means playing with it.

I intend to build a monitoring system for my water tank with it so it will be practical (and lots of fun).

Check out my blog for a post on tonight’s play: https://stevoz.com/myweatherblog/2015/05/fun-with-the-arduino/

Will keep you posted on how it goes with the water tank.
    dentydogdentydog

What a fabulous yard Steve!

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Thanks dentydog but it is suffering from neglect at the moment. Will have to get motivated and get into it. 🙂

dentydogdentydog

Finding the time during the shorter days is always extra hard!

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I had to Google ” Arduino microcontroller” to find out what it was Steve and am still none the wiser. Pray tell what you are doing with it in layman terms it possible?

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Ballamara, it’s a little electronics board that you can plug sensors into and then do something with the results. When I was playing the other night I had a temperature and humidity sensor and used it to switch on and off indicator lights based on the temperature. I have a more practical use where I’m going to measure the height of the water in my water tank and upload the data to my web site so I can monitor it. This will be more accurate than knocking on the side of the tank. If I get really fancy, I can control a couple of valves with the Arduino so that it automatically switches between town and tank water supplies if the tank gets low.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

that sounds a great idea. For the tanks that is.

KasaliaKasalia

Not telling my husband about that gizmo, he will want one too. Hasnt even got our weather thingy up and going yet.What is it about men and gadgets, lol. :))

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Gadgets are good Kasalia! 🙂

My project today was to try to shade the thermometer in my weather station. When the sun is out, it reads much higher than the nearby official weather stations so have a read of my blog to see what I did to try to fix it.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

that looks like a good idea. It hadn’t occurred to me that my temp. here could be false. It looks like I  have the same or very similar weather station as yours. If you don’t mind I might get DH to do the same.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 231 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.