Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Sterilisation of glass jars

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SonyaSonya

Hi,

We’ve just harvested our first few kilos of honey (yay! :clap:)

Just after some advice on sterilising the glass jars we’re going to put them in. They are all new jars from the factory with plastic tamper proof lids – how should I clean the jars before filling them with honey?

These will be for sale to the public so need to very clean.

cheers,

Sonya

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Are the jars thenselves glass? if so I would sterilize them the same as fowler jars as for the lids how about using the same method as for baby bottles.

SonyaSonya

Yes the jars are made of glass, how do you sterilise fowler jars?

Cheers,

Sonya

LearningLearning

Cover them with water in a pot, and boil for 10 minutes. I don’t know if you can do the same to the lids; maybe experiment?

Are you putting hot honey in the jars? If so, you need time it so that the jars and honey are both hot, or you could shatter the jars. And if you’re doing raw honey, let the jars cool first.

SonyaSonya

Raw honey for us, thanks for that.

Cheers,

Sonya

GiannaGianna

I wash jars & lids in hot, soapy water, then rinse in hot water and put into 100C oven for 20 minutes to sterilise.

LearningLearning

Because you’re doing raw honey (yum!), Gianna’s advice seems a better idea. You could sterilise the jars and leave them in the oven to cool until you’re ready to fill them. Of course you’d have to deal with the lids another way.

roogzroogz

I use one of those avent baby sterilisers – got one for bottles and am breast feeding so using to steralise the Jam jars instead.:D

can fit 4# 20 ajrs in it and they are steralised and ready to use in 9 mins- does the lids and plastic bits as well.

Cheers

Roogz

LearningLearning

:clap:

porgeyporgey

Wash in sink or dishwasher to remove any manufacturers contamination (far worse than most of natures bugs) then I would bathe them in the lovely Qld sun for a day which is free and the best steriliser available!

NexNex

I run clean new jars through the dishwasher. At 70c and with caustic dishwasher powder very very little survives the dishwasher!

Thats usually clean enough for honey. It’s pretty sterile anyway.

I have jars of honey in the pantry that are in re-used dishwashered jars for the past few years and they are fine.

kerriebkerrieb

Generally I use the dishwasher and it works. The only time I’ve had problems with the dishwasher is when I’ve put wine bottles in through the eco cycle which doesn’t have the heated drying cycle. I needed a couple of extra bottles for some tomato sauce I’d made and just grabbed these out of the dishwasher. Two months later I opened them and had very fizzy tomato sauce (creamy soda fizzy). As the rest of the batch was Ok I’m assuming that the yeast is the wine is pretty tough. Dishwashers aren’t great at cleaning things with restricted entrys anyway so it was my own fault.

I wouldn’t have thought that honey would be much of an issue anyway as long the bees had capped of the honey and the water content was low. I’m pretty sure Mum just washes theirs in hot soapy water rinses them in hot water and lets them air dry before using them for the honey they sell.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

I want to know what kind of honey you’ve got. I’m sick of honey that always tastes a bit ‘burned’. Not sure if it’s the honey itself or some process it goes through. I bought some recently from a local(ish) producer, thinking it would be better than the commercial stuff and was very disappointed. Same burnt aftertaste.

As for sterilising jars…

If I’m doing jams, pickles, etc. I sterilise by washing in hot soapy water, rinsing in hot water and then putting them on a tray in the oven at about 150 whilst I get my stuff made.

If I’m doing beer (yum!), I sterilise everything (plastic fermenter, tap, airlock and stuff) using a product called Iodophor. It’s an iodine based steriliser. I get it from a home brew shop in western Sydney (yes it’s a long way away from me but I like the bloke who runs it). Never had a crook batch of beer yet.

Let me know about that honey, Sonya.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.