Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Stay At Home Wife.

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Life Changes Stay At Home Wife.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    sue esue e

applebee, that was beautifully written- especially the part about nurturing yourself enabling you to better nurture others. it is nice to have time to do that isn’t it? :tup::tup::tup:

carolfcarolf

Michelle it is 3 years since i sold my business:(, which meant giving up work, and i still battle with it nearly every day, although not as bad as it was for the first 2 years.

I have made so much work for my self at home just so i don’t feel guilty about not contributing to the family income, not really sure what advice to give you:) just hang in there and hope it will get better eventually:)

nimmnimm
    Participant

Nice Michelle!

I just finished paid work about 1.5 months ago and this was on purpose cause we have so much stuff to take care at home. I guess I could have slowly completed things while working but i’d had enough of work so thought it was time to have a productive break. I think the main thing for me is that there is so much to do I haven’t had a day off since quitting work! 🙂

So obviously you need some projects to keep you busy! For me I’m researching/learning about permaculture (I did a course earlier in the year), doing a permaculture design for our land (just under 2 acres), putting in a ton of gardens and trees, irrigation, and various projects inside the house (like finish off the kitchen). In the process I’m hoping to see whether permaculture becomes a new career direction otherwise it’ll be back to the regular workforce down the track.

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

WOW you guys!! Thanks for so much encouragement and advice, I really appreciate it.

I am going to take it easy for the next couple of weeks and write some sort of time plan for jobs I want to finish.

My veg garden has been pretty neglected lately and really needs completely reorganising. I started painting my back fence 3 years ago and got half way so that is something I definitely have to finish.

My yoga teacher retired while I was working so I need to find a new one and I am going to go back to Tai Chi which I had to give up because of all the odd shiftwork hours.

But the very first thing I am going to do is catch up on some sleep.:D

lostinthefoglostinthefog

I intend to stop working at the end of this year:D-I can’t wait!! There are so many things I want to do that I don’t think I’ll have time to get bored, I didn’t work when the children were small-not until they were in their early teens and I used to love being a stay at home Mum. I certainly didn’t feel guilty about not working-it wasn’t all that long ago that women were made to feel bad if they DID work. I read a book many years ago that changed my views on work, there was a quote in the book that has stayed with me and that I think is very true…the quote was “there is no virtue in work for it’s own sake’. So enjoy your freedom & good luck!

porgeyporgey

Michelle-sm, you are so lucky that you have such a great opportunity. Making most of that opportunity is now what counts. The biggest number one by a country mile is health. If you are healthy you can do so much for yourself, family, friends, community and the ether. Just feeling good and full of positive thoughts can add so much to the quality of life which enables you to do what ever you choose.

A few more suggestions that you may like to do;

-Relish in being a grannie. Where in modern western society did the role of parenting and grandparenting get shuffled down the ladder of human priorities? You have the great opportunity to guide & nurture your grand children and help raise healthy well balanced contributing human beings. Somehow TV ratings, GDP, bank balances etc have taken priority over the most fundamental aspects of being human.

-Learn a new skill

-Read

-Volunteer

-Paint the house

-Build a new garden bed

-Learn how to service your car

-Meditate

-Practice Yoga

-Ring an old school friend

-Enrol in a short course

-Live

What ever you choose to do, do it with a smile and the world will smile back at you. Best of luck, health & happiness, cheers porgey. 😀

kerriebkerrieb

Michelle-sm

Enjoy, give yourself a holiday. Even if it is just sitting at home reading a book. Think about the things you enjoy and when your health has picked up find things to do. Make a list of things you’ve always wanted to do and work through them. You will find your weeks filling up rapidly if you want. If you find that isn’t fulfilling enough there is usually a huge number of things you can volunteer to help with.

If you join any clubs etc sit on your hands at the first AGM and resist the pressure to be president, secretary, treasurer etc. They will never tell you how much work is involved and it’s not fun to end up resenting doing something because it takes up too much time and feeling too guilty to quit. Unless you want to take on a role of course. But there is a bit of an assumption that you’re “not working” therefore you will say yes to any request. Resist!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy.

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Gosh, kerrieb -that is quite a stutter!

kerriebkerrieb

Sorry :shy:stupid computer was playing up.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Sounds WONDERFUL Michelle-sm 😉 I kind of face the same thing because my hubby earns a good wage, as do I so i only work one or two night shifts a week (if that). We do have 4 kids at home though.

Enjoy YOUR time- make soap, garden, sew, learn new skills or hone old ones. Just because you wont be in paid employment will not mean you are doing ‘nothing’:)

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.