Aussies Living Simply

Starting up Home Brew again….

Home Forums HOMEMADE Brewing and winemaking Starting up Home Brew again….

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    kitty74kitty74

marz wrote:

Does the same go for home-made wine? I’ve been saving bottles for years but can’t afford all the fancy equipment to do it. I remember my Mum’s old friends used to have basins of dandelions and things soaking around the place (usually outside), what did they do with it then?Perhaps someone out there has some old recipes??? Like potato, dandelion etc or even pea-pod (yes I watched The Good Life umpteen times too!):tup:

My aunty in Wales still makes elderflower wine – in large glass bottles in her cellar. I was there once when one exploded. She also makes alcoholic ginger beer. I’ll ask her for you if you like…

RavykRavyk

marz wrote:

Does the same go for home-made wine? I’ve been saving bottles for years but can’t afford all the fancy equipment to do it. I remember my Mum’s old friends used to have basins of dandelions and things soaking around the place (usually outside), what did they do with it then?Perhaps someone out there has some old recipes??? Like potato, dandelion etc or even pea-pod (yes I watched The Good Life umpteen times too!):tup:

My dad has an awesome book on wine making recipes-it contains recipes for all kinds of wine, plum, apple, tomato, rhubarb… he made a really nice tomato wine once and a nicer satsuma plum wine.

I’ll see if I can get the name of the book.

osakasuzosakasuz

Yup, we started with a Coopers kit. Highly recommended – comes with everything you need and less than $100. You can then go on to buy more bottles or kegs or whatever. We sourced more bottles from the trading post. It only does 25L, though. First thing we bought was a larger fermenter. Figure out exactly what you need and shop around too – someone is bound to be discounting….

marzmarz

“My aunty in Wales still makes elderflower wine – in large glass bottles in her cellar. I was there once when one exploded. She also makes alcoholic ginger beer. I’ll ask her for you if you like…”Kitty 74”

“My dad has an awesome book on wine making recipes-it contains recipes for all kinds of wine, plum, apple, tomato, rhubarb… he made a really nice tomato wine once and a nicer satsuma plum wine.

I’ll see if I can get the name of the book.”Ravyk”

Thanks Kitty and Ravyk, would love any info avail. Still trolling thru the internet for recipes too.

marigoldmarigold

I hope that’s trawling marz – trolling is going to make you very unpopular!!! :lol::lol:

toosusietoosusie

If you want bulk capacity look at the food grade 250l or 40 gallon plastic we all chase for water and feed storage. We got ours for nix. Can put a tap in them and they have lids. I’d be worried about using a garbage bin too but apart from that I’d agree with Brownie. People get more technical than necessary. We never sterilise our bottles either. You can taste the c***p. If you use glass though you can heat in an oven like preserving jars. I don’t like the taste of the pet plastic beer either and 4***X bottles have great strong necks. I like Morgans lager best. Smells like a real lager :tup:

browniebrownie

I used a plastc garbage container for year and never tasted nor smelt a hint of chemicals. Anyhow that is your own choice. All you basically need is a container you are happy with to ferment your brew in.

Try a swimming pool 🙂

Or, a bath tub, (probably quite cheap from a house wreckers joint.)

One of those old porcelian laundry tubs.

An old stainless steel boiler, I have 2 of those used as pot plants.

Cheers

drdreaddrdread

brownie

yes the sky is the limit!

love your post!

charlieveecharlievee

Hi all – I brewed for many years starting with the can kits, moving onto malt extract brewing, and finally into all grain. I recommend, as do other posters, using a food grade fermenter. The 25 litre ones were what I normally used, but also used a 60 l for “lawnmower beer”. The special stouts, bocks and other select brews were done in the standard 25 litre bin. If you’re prepared to wait one will eventually surface. Of course, being in the suburbs helps too. I bought my first brewing outfit from a local homebrew shop and their additional advice was invaluable. The 25 l fermenter also has the advantage of being a good standard size ; 23 l water, 1 can beer kit, 1 kg dextrose/sugar. Regards.

redhen2redhen2

charlievee, i love ‘lawnmower beer’ :lol:. i can’t afford to buy enough lawnmower beer, so the bloke and i were talking about making our own just the other day.

you all make it sound so easy…

ShellBelleShellBelle

Making fruit juice wine can be very easy, I used this process for ages before moving up to a 5lt carboy with a proper airlock.

Wine from a 2ltr juice bottle

Purchase a 2L juice with no preservatives from the supermarket, seriously avoid pineapple or orange Most juices range from 100 – 150 g/L sugar. You need to draw off some juice and dissolve 50 – 100g sugar then add this back to the rest of the juice.

Add ¼ packet of wine yeast to each 2L of juice, put a cotton ball on top of the bottle and ferment for 4 to 6 days in a warm spot – the hydrometer should read 1000.

Rack into an new bottle so you can get rid of the muck in the bottom, then into the fridge and drink. Once the wine is finished it will be 10 – 12%, quick and easy.

Edited to say – One reason that serilisation is recommended is because Australian wild yeasts are rough and ready. If you get one in your brew it will make it yucky.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.