Aussies Living Simply

starting sweet potato

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables starting sweet potato

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    bushybushy

Has been a lot of chatter in other forums about best way to start sweet potatos, and all seem to be successful, but with a lot messing around using glasses of water, fertilser, blah, blah.I have found, well, missus bushy finds just cutting the end off a tuber that has started to shoot, throw it in the garden, wait a couple of weeks, there will be plenty of runners, cut off at about 100 to 200mm, snip off most leaves and almost completely bury it horizontaly, keep damp, I cover with straw and they will all grow. Easy as.

forestforest

thanks Bushy. I’m just about to plant mine out. I did the tedious glass and water trick. I’ll remember your wife’s method.

LollyLolly
    Keymaster

I love sweet potato but I don’t think I’ll be able to grow it here in Victoria.. what are the ideal conditions for kumera??

forestforest

lolly, you can grow it in frost-free climates but you need 4 – 6 months of warm weather for it to grow to full maturity. They grow well in composted soil with good drainage.

bushybushy

I have friends who successfully grow the white (hardy) sweetpotato at the south coast NSW, where there is light frosts.

TullymoorTullymoor

I’m gonna grow it whether it likes it or not!! 😉 We don’t get frost but it gets brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr cold.

I have three of my bits shooting now and I talk to those liddle shoots and switch window sills throughout the day so they are in the sun, I drip water onto their tiny liddle leaves so as to make humidity happen, they are going to grow so help me!!

The day i need to cut off the shoot and plant it I’m going to need my hand held LOL Maybe I will not cut it off but plant the whole thing….roots,shoots and all. Yeppers, that’s what I’ll do I reckon, just like Mrs Bushy.

forestforest

Yeah, give it a go, Tully. There are microclimates in every garden. If you find a warm spot there is no reason why it wouldn’t grow.

bushybushy

Tully, if you plant the tuber like we do, you still have to seperate the runners from the potato, but cut them above ground and plant elsewhere, otherwise production is poor. This way there is always a new supply of shoots every week. In your area I would try the thin, long white potato, don’t know the name.

TullymoorTullymoor

So, Bushy, a piece of shoot? With no roots? The vine thingy? Ok, will give it a fly.

We aren’t lucky enough to have tubers just sprout shoots willy nilly here…mustn’t be the climate…so, the old putting them in water is the only way that’s worked for me so far.

Will get a pic of my shoot…I’m a proud mama :yes:

TullymoorTullymoor

We had the planting-out ceremony this evening at around 6 pm 😀

I took my trusty mattock to a bit of dirt about 2 foot square in the orchard, made a bit of a mound, placed the shoot, tuber, roots and all into the dirt (lovingly) watered well, mulched, watered again and then thought……. WABBITS!! If those wascally wabbits eat my shoot I’ll, well I’ll, I’ll be vewwy cwoss! So it’s now covered with a little wire cage.

Grasshoppers are eating all my fruit trees and comfrey so they had better not get a whiff of it’s tender young shoot either…..can’t really make a gwasshopper-proof cage :@

One sign of the tiniest nibble though and I’ll put a 3 litre plastic milk thingo over it I guess.

LeecyLeecy

How does everyone else plant their sweet potatoes? I thought you could just put pieces of tuber into the ground like a potato?

TullymoorTullymoor

You revive a thread from 2005 to ask that?? :lol::clap::lol:

I was having trouble cos I lived in Port Fairy at the time. No probs sprouting and growing here :tup:

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

😆

ellice, PM osakasuz she has a very successful sweet potato crop and lives in Brissy as well… She’ll set you right!

Just keep a sweet potato , till it shoots. When the shoots are about 9 inches break them of at the potato and sit the shoots in a bowl of water till little roots become about a inch long, then simply plant out.

On a side note, My sister once bought a home from a WW2 digger and in the back yard was a patch of sweet potato, the old guy was going into a home and asked if sister could try to keep the sweet potato as a living memerial, as it was a direct descendant of a crop that kept him and a few of his POW mates alive during his captivity on the Burma railroad.

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

🙁 That is so sweet….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.