Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Spinach/chard/Silverbeet recipies

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Homecooked food (Recipe Request) Spinach/chard/Silverbeet recipies

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    RobyneRobyne

I make spinach sausage rolls with mine.

Mix it with sausage mice and add grated cheese and make up with puff pastry sheets.

also make up just spinach and cheese in the same way. I cook the spinach and shred finely and mix in with grated cheese

I mix it in the whats in the fridge soup to get rid of the soft veggies in the fridge the spinach adds extra colour to the soup

mudhenmudhen

I used a Stephanie Alexander recipe similar to this one the other night to use some of the swiss chard Vanessa gave me, and it was delish! I used toasted pine nuts and more olive oil – 1/4 cup to cook the onions and then another 1/4 cup drizzled over the chard after it was added to the pan. We ate it with fettuccine and it was deemed an edible dish by all!

http://www.kidspot.com.au/best-recipes/Dinner+7/Silverbeet-surprise-recipe+1283.htm

This is the one I’ll make for lunch tomorrow:

http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/180/silverbeet-and-potato-torte

Thanks again to Vanessa! My chard seedlings will be planted out tomorrow and I’m looking forward to a spring / summer of greens!

SnagsSnags

Mum used to make cabbage rolls using silver beet leaves instead.

MiaowzenMiaowzen

Tonight I made a delicious soup – chicken stock, garlic, potato, brown lentils, silverbeet, tomato paste and coriander. Lemon squeezed into the bowl at serving time. Delish!! I used kale and silverbeet instead of spinach. The trick with the greens was to boil them first then drain and chop them up and put them into the pot of soup. Prevents the stock from tasting too green. Coriander added right at the end. I used the silverbeet cooking water to water some plants.

VanessaVanessa

mudhen post=348401 wrote: I used a Stephanie Alexander recipe similar to this one the other night to use some of the swiss chard Vanessa gave me, and it was delish! I used toasted pine nuts and more olive oil – 1/4 cup to cook the onions and then another 1/4 cup drizzled over the chard after it was added to the pan. We ate it with fettuccine and it was deemed an edible dish by all!

http://www.kidspot.com.au/best-recipes/Dinner+7/Silverbeet-surprise-recipe+1283.htm

This is the one I’ll make for lunch tomorrow:

http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/180/silverbeet-and-potato-torte

Thanks again to Vanessa! My chard seedlings will be planted out tomorrow and I’m looking forward to a spring / summer of greens!

Your welcome Mudhen!!! I’m glad you and your family enjoyed it, just sing out if you want any more, while yours is getting up and going. Some of mine is starting to go to flower again so I need to get out there and chop off the tall flower stalks because I really don’t need any more to go to seed. I am still finding little seedlings coming up every where.

Nick CarrollNick Carroll

Our favourite silverbeet recipes are both from Stephanie Alexander’s books as well, with a few changes.

We have this with fried or scrambled eggs for lunch.

Small bunch of silverbeet

1x leek, several small leeks, several spring onions or a small onion. (It’s depends what’s in the garden)

1 x clove garlic

Handful of pine or almonds nuts etc

1 x chilli

Handful of Sultanas or raisins

Juice of a small/medium lemon

Olive oil or what ever cooking oil you have

Heat oil in a frying pan with a lid.

Fry the leek or onion over a medium then low heat till cooked very well. Stirring and/or shacking the pans as you go. If required add a very small splash of water or more oil if the leeks/onions dry out or start sticking. Keeping the lid on and not removing it, helps the leeks/onions to not dry out.

While these are cooking wash the silverbeet, remove the stem of the silverbeet. Then chop up the leaf. We give the stems to the chickens or you could save them and blanch and then fry.

Chop and add the garlic(and chilli). Fry gently for 2 or 3 minutes till it smells as you like it.

Now add the chopped silverbeet. Cook for one or 2 minutes till they are just wilted. Now remove the lid. Turn the temperature to high and add the lemon juice. Cook for one or two minutes till the added juice has basically evaporated.

Now turn heat back to low ie medium. Then add the nuts and sultanas. Heat for a minute, then remove and serve. Best served hot.

I like the silverbeet to have a solid green colour, if it looks grey it’s been over cooked. The lemon helps keep this colour.

Chickpea and silverbeet

We have this as a meal with bread.

Some onion, leek or a handful of spring onions.

A bunch of Silverbeet

Tin of chickpeas (or a cup soaked over night and cooked.)

Juice of one lemon

Yoghurt saurce

About a cup of yogurt

1x garlic finely chopped

A sprig of mint finely chopped

A little lemon juice (maybe a tablespoon)

In a bowl add the yogurt, finely chopped garlic, finely chopped mint and lemon juice. Mix. Add salt to taste.

Fry the onions or leeks etc as above.

Wash and remove the stem of the silverbeet. Once the onion/leek has cooked add the silverbeet. Cook for one minute, then add the chickpeas. Cook for another minute or so. Then turn the heat to high and add the lemon juice. Stir till the lemon juice is mostly evaporated.

Turn onto a plate and add the yogurt to the top.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.