Aussies Living Simply

Spent brewing yeast

Home Forums HOMEMADE Brewing and winemaking Spent brewing yeast

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    WazzaWazza

I make my own beer and for a while used to hose the spent yeast from the fermenter out on the lawn. Then I noticed the lawn grew exceptionally well in these patches. Since then I dilute it and pour it between rows in the vegie patch. Spent yeast is full of all sorts of goodies that plants appreciate so, if you brew your own beer, don’t waste it. I’ve also heard it makes a good bait in fruit fly traps, but can’t vouch for this personally.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

I tipped the dregs of the fermenter out under the apple tree right by the carport one day as it was bucketing with rain. The chooks went nuts scrabbling in it. I was quite concerned they would get drunk, but it didn’t seem to hurt them. Don’t think I’ll do that again.

They also cleaned up the spent grain from a brew, although I’ve heard that it’s good for baking bread. Haven’t tried that yet.

Will try the dregs on the veg, sounds like a good idea.

forestforest

Hi Warwick, I’d like to hear a bit more about your brewing when you have time. It’s something I’ve been thinking of doing myself.

ccBearccBear

If you are on septic throw a batch down the sink every now and then helps to keep it lively

drdreaddrdread

use the spent yeast for bread making, feed some flour to the yeast and watch it take off

let grow for a few days and use some for your next bread

you bread will be a barm bread,

your bread wil have a wonderful flavour, if not a bit hoppy

save some of the ferment for successions of breadmaking

if the smell of the ferment goes sour – toss it

research sourdough on the Internet to improve your knowledge

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.