Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Spaghetti squash

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    elvinelvin

My neighbours gave me a spaghetti squash a while back. Do they keep, like pumpkins? Any ideas on how I go about cooking it? :shrug:

mama

You are talking my all-time favourite squash!

To cook … boil water, drop whole spagetti squash into boiling pot, cook about 15-20 minutes … drain, cut open and fork out spagetti bits, apply butter, salt and cheese (my fav) or spag-bol sauce … basically anything that goes with spagetti will go with this squash :clap:

They keep a while, but not so long as pumpkin (probably somewhere between melon and pumkin, for keeping time).

elvinelvin

If I cook it whole the seeds will be no good for planting will they?

mama

Nope. The seeds will be destroyed by the heat, if you cook it whole.

I’ve never tried cooking a half … my gut says it will go soggy in the water without it’s skin, but definately worth a try so you can save the seed. :hug:

(or you could cook it whole, and PM me with your addy … I have a few spare seeds, if you are looking to grow this … either that, or pester your neighbour for some seed after you discover how yummy it is! 😀 ).

elvinelvin

Hmm, might cut it in half, scrape out seeds and steam it. Leaving the skin on.

mama

Do post back how steaming goes … it would be fabulous if it could be cooked and seed saved too!

Thinking skin side down in a bamboo steamer … that could actually work!

:hug:

swaggieswaggie

Oh! These are still around?!

Mum used to get them when I was a kid, was thinking about them again recently and wondering where to get them. Do they still sell them- haven’t seen them for years.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.