Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Sourdough starter

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    FozzieFozzie

You can bake a loaf of sourdough with plain old baking paper, that’s what I’ve done for the past 6 months at least when a dear friend gave me a starter.

I basically shape my loaf how I want it to be roughly, so either round or more oblong, place it on baking paper, turn the oven on full blast and when hot I put the bread in for 10 mins, then turn it back to a moderate oven at 180 degrees or so.

My loaves don’t end up being super high, but they are certainly high enough to make toast and tasty lunches from. I’m only just thinking of getting some tins now, but I’ve certainly not needed them so far.

Best of luck 🙂

AirgeadAirgead

Bluewren – never bought their starter. I’ve always had my own so never needed it.

Might be worth a look if you didn’t want to start your own off though.

Cheers

Dave

BobbeeBobbee

I’ve had another go at the bread. Used Dave’s recipe again but for wholemeal this time

and I used the ‘normal’ kneeding process. I threw in a handlful of chia seeds and 2 handfuls

of sunflower seeds and I am very happy with the result. :tup:

Thanks Dave. :hug:

I left this lot to proof for the whole 24 hours this time because it was more convenient that

way and it rose well. These 2 loaves were much lighter than the first lot I made, which I put

down to the kneeding. :tup:

I have to hit the shops for more bakers flour and then on to more trials. Still haven’t made a sweet

loaf yet but that’s on the agenda. 🙂

:hug:

BelBel

Bobbee post=343125 wrote: I’ve had another go at the bread. Used Dave’s recipe again but for wholemeal this time

and I used the ‘normal’ kneeding process. I threw in a handlful of chia seeds and 2 handfuls

of sunflower seeds and I am very happy with the result. :tup:

Thanks Dave. :hug:

I left this lot to proof for the whole 24 hours this time because it was more convenient that

way and it rose well. These 2 loaves were much lighter than the first lot I made, which I put

down to the kneeding. :tup:

I have to hit the shops for more bakers flour and then on to more trials. Still haven’t made a sweet

loaf yet but that’s on the agenda. 🙂

Well done Bobbee :clap: I bet it was yummy! Can you please post the link to Dave’s recipes you’ve been using? While my sourdough is nice, it’s far too heavy/sour for everyday use unfortunately. I’d like to try some regular bread and see if I can encourage the kids to eat that alone.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Well done Bobbs!

I had another go last weekend but ended up getting the s@$&s with it. I should have started feeding the starter through the week but I left it until Saturday. Therefore the loaf was proving on Monday when I was at work and couldn’t look after it. It did rise really well but as I didn’t have a tin, I had it rising in a bowl lined with a tea towel. When I came home from work I tried to gently tip it onto a tray to bake but it all collapsed and the tea towel had stuck to the dough. So I got grumpy.

I left it to see if it would rise again but it was night time and cool so anything was going to be very slow. It did rise a bit but it also spread out over the tray. So in the end I thought stuff it and shoved it in the oven anyway.

It did brown nicely and it did taste ok but it was doughy inside. So I swore off bread making for a while.

DW has commented on my lack of patience! hehe

But guess what? We have a long weekend here in Qld so I took my starter out this morning and it’s feeding happily. I’ll be home on Monday and I’m going to give it another go. Who knows, it may even work…. 🙂

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Bel post=343127 wrote: Can you please post the link to Dave’s recipes you’ve been using?

Bel, Dave posted one recipe here…

https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/living-within-your-means/330083-bread?limit=15&start=45#339185

BobbeeBobbee

Thanks Steve, that’s the link and the recipe. :clap:

Steve the dough is very forgiving I am finding. I first tried letting the last rise (prove) happen

on a tray, both loaves together. They spread again and would have been very flat. I took them off

the tray, one at a time, and tucked the edges of each’loaf’ under itself all round the loaf. Which gave

me a rounded thicker loaf, I then plunked each loaf into its own caserole dish. :whistle:

They then continued to rise for hours until I was home to bake them. I slashed the tops and into the

very,very hot oven as per the recipe and then as per the recipe until cooked. I do have to cook longer than

Dave’s specified times, either because of larger loaves or difference in ovens. :tup:

I haven’t yet turned the dough into bread rolls but that will happen some time in the future too. How exciting it

all is. :woohoo:

BobbeeBobbee

Yes Bel it was/is yummy. And very filling. The loaf lasts longer than same amount of bought bread I find.

I did cut back on the salt just a little and I am happy with the flavour now. :tup:

I share the loaves with family and the consensus is “good stuff, when are you gunna bake some more”,

so it isn’t just me liking the bread. 😉

Now to tell you about the banana bread. I got the recipe from the link Steve uses for. oops…the name’s gone..

no it’s Cultures for Health, I think. Steve put it up on another thread. Help Steve!!!!!! :S

This bread uses kefir milk. I used 2 cups of sourdough starter in place of 2 cups of flour, I also added coconut,

and sunflower seeds which helps for those with diabetes, next time I will also add currants. I also used coconut sugar

in place of the sugar in the recipe. A case of using what I had in the cupboard. :tup:

I FORGOT to allow for the extra moisture from the sourdough starter, I should have cut back on the liquids. My mix was

far too wet but I cooked it for longer and it turned out, not brilliant, but ok. The taste was/is wonderful. Again

that is confirmed by others with whom I shared the loaves. :tup:

We can apparently use sourdough starter in scones, pancakes, cakes etc. Just about everything we use flour in it would seem.

Again such fun experimenting. :hug:

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Was it this one Bobbs? You said you used two cups of starter in place of the flour.

Kefir Banana Bread http://www.culturesforhealth.com/kefir-banana-bread-recipe/

There was also this one on that site. It doesn’t use kefir.

Sourdough Banana Bread http://www.culturesforhealth.com/sourdough-banana-bread-recipe/

BobbeeBobbee

Thanks Steve, it was the first link. As I said I exchanged the 2 cups of flour for 2 cups of

sourdough starter. I got that idea from somewhere else, :blush: can’t remember where. :whistle:

Anyway it worked for me. :tup:

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Look what I just took out of the oven…….

🙂 🙂 🙂

zippyzippy

I had some success last week.

I used some kombucha to start off a sourdough starter. Worked in a couple of days. The loaf actually rose for the first time ever! Looked great, nice density… tasted like kombucha. Gross! :sick:

BlueWrenBlueWren

Now THAT Steve is something to be proud of! :tup: :clap: :clap: :clap: Hope it tastes as good as it looks – I’m sure it will!

BelBel

Steve post=343246 wrote: Look what I just took out of the oven…….

That’s awesome Steve :clap: What recipe did you use or was it a sourdough loaf?

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Bel, it was a sourdough loaf using the recipe from Cultures for Health over here:

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/how-to-make-sourdough-bread

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.