Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

SOUPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    froot_loopzfroot_loopz

whats makes a boiling chook different to any other chook?

GirlFridayGirlFriday

At my house they are the older roosters who arent quite tender enough for roasting anymore.

At the butchers you can get chicken frames with most of the fillet removed for about $2 for a bag of carcasses and cook them up. Plenty of meat left on the frames for soups.

AirgeadAirgead

Yep. A boiler is an old chook that is too tough to do anything other than boil it till its soft. Usually old roosters or old laying hens that are past laying. We have a chicken factory fairly close to us that sells whole boilers for a dollar each or thereabouts. They are fantastic for soups and stews.

But yes, you can use frames. Not as much meat but still good. I use frames for my stocks. Our local factory gives us frames for a few dollars for a 10kg box.

Cheers

Dave

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

thanks everyone, bought everything to make pea and ham soup yesterday but the peas -.-

I’ll go grab some tomorrow once the shops reopen, must remember to grab loo paper as well.

I also bought my first ever leak. might try potato and leek soup.

I was talking to the lady behind the deli at coles, and asked if they had any ham hocks. She didnt think they did yet (I did find them in the meat dept) she said she used to use lamb shanks as well when she could get them cheap enough instead of the ham

jaden62jaden62

You should be able to get smoked bacon bones – check out which is cheaper. I saw smoked bacon bones recently (Foodland @ Munno Para??), so they’re around. Also, another thing to use (sometimes cheaper, ham hocks & bacon bones can get expensive @ times) is just some chopped ham. Grab a small chunk of ham that you slice yourself & cut it into little chunks/cubes.

You can also make your soup thicker & extend it further by adding potato. Also, if you find it’s a bit salty (ham hocks & bacon bones “can” make it a bit salty at times), add chopped potato. That removes the salty taste.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

jaden62 post=355064 wrote: You should be able to get smoked bacon bones – check out which is cheaper. I saw smoked bacon bones recently (Foodland @ Munno Para??), so they’re around. Also, another thing to use (sometimes cheaper, ham hocks & bacon bones can get expensive @ times) is just some chopped ham. Grab a small chunk of ham that you slice yourself & cut it into little chunks/cubes.

You can also make your soup thicker & extend it further by adding potato. Also, if you find it’s a bit salty (ham hocks & bacon bones “can” make it a bit salty at times), add chopped potato. That removes the salty taste.

or soak the bones overnight, that also gets rid of saltiness –

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

I always add potato and carrot to my pea and ham soups.

I ended up grabbing pork bones. I wanted a ham hock but they were to big, and because they were already cooked and seeled the butchers department wasnt allowed to cut one in half for me,to make two meals out of.

I currenty have pumpkin, onion and curry powder roasting in the oven to turn into a soup

Thanks Jaden I have to go to walk to munno tomorrow, I’ll see what they have in regards to bacon bones.

AirgeadAirgead

froot_loopz post=355070 wrote:

I ended up grabbing pork bones. I wanted a ham hock but they were to big, and because they were already cooked and seeled the butchers department wasnt allowed to cut one in half for me,to make two meals out of.

Hacksaw… works a treat on bones. Best to keep a separate blade to use on food though. Iron filings in your soup can get a bit gritty.

Or a big cleaver. Mine will happily split ham hocks. And whacking away at them is very theraputic.

Cheers

Dave

HTHT

Do I need to peel and deseed smallish butternut punmkins to just chop up?? Iam so over cooking shows peeling every bit of fruit and vegi they cook with.

HT

jaden62jaden62

Depends on what you are going to use them for, I suppose.

But, if you are making soup or eve going to roast the pumpkin anyway, roast them whole. They will then peel easily & the seeds can be just lifted out.

This is also great if you are going to make pumpkin soup out of a big QLD blue pumpkin (or a lot of little butternuts). Just put them in the oven whole to roast, but remember to get them out before they turn to mush. Also, a whole (big) pumpkin will stay too hot to hold properly for a lot of hours. I found that out the hard way once.

But roasting your pumpkin gives you a different flavour for your soup, as does roasting your tomatoes before you use them in spaghetti sauce.

goodfoodgoodfood

I would like to take Sweet Corn Soup sometimes! Hope you will like my recipe & try this.

Sweet Corn Soup is a Chinese based soup recipe prepared with corn and other vegetables! This is a very easy and flavourful soup recipe.

Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 3

Ingredients:

Sweet Corn kernels – 1/2 cup

Carrot – 1 finely chopped

Beans – 3 chopped finely

Water – 2 cups

Pepper Powder – 1/8 tsp

Cornflour – 2 tsp

Onion – 1 tbsp finely chopped (optional)

Spring Onion – 2 tbsp

Black / White Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp

Sugar – 1/2 tsp

Oregano -1/4 tsp

Salt – to taste

Method:

1. Make all your vegetables ready by chopping it finely. First saute carrot,beans and onion in 1 tsp of oil till raw smell leaves. Boil water in a container when it starts boiling add all the vegetables (except spring onion).

2. Allow the vegetables to get cooked….wait till they turn soft yet crunchy enough to bite.Meanwhile mix 1.5 tsp cornflour in 2 tbsp water without any lumps and keep it ready.

3. Once the water is reduced a little and veggies have turned soft, add the cornflour mixture stir once. The soup will start to thicken slowly after cornflour mixture is added…At this stage add sugar,pepper powder and give a quick stir.Let it simmer for 3mins.

4. Then add oregano mix well.Finally garnish with spring onions and switch off.

While serving garnish with more spring onion, sprinkle pepper powder and serve hot!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.