Aussies Living Simply

solar powered pump

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    caddie
    Participant

When I bought this place there was a water feature stuck out in the middle of the lawn.

This was in a totally inapropriate position, has an electric pump which I didn’t use.

I have shifted it so it no longer annoys me when trying to cut the lawn.

Now I want to connect it to a solar panel if possible, I looked in Bunnings and a new solar pump was $200, couldn’t justify that

The pump has a normal 3 point pin, can I connect that to a panel?

Does any one know or have they done something similar?

Caddie

Silent

There is this.

It seems kinda obvious in hindsight but they have only just gotten around to making a panel with a plug in it.

mumof6

Ebay search solar water pump there very cheap but they may have a limited life if they run on batteries the ones that just pump water when the sun shines on the panel are the better as not wasting water/energy/wearing out pump when no ones looking :laugh: well while you sleep anyway.

Bullseye

Silent post=336264 wrote: There is this.

It seems kinda obvious in hindsight but they have only just gotten around to making a panel with a plug in it.

Great link there Silent, thanks. Also, a nice development with that product for powering alternating current pumps without the need to get an electrician to wire them up.

Bullseye

Hi Caddie, your pump is a type that requires to be powered by a 240 volt alternating current. If you wanted to power that with solar (photovoltaic cells/panels) generally speaking it’d be prohibitively expensive. Before the product Silent pointed out became available, what would be needed would be a separate set of solar panels, voltage regulator, 240 volt inverter, wiring and connectors. Also, if you wanted the pump to run when the sun isn’t available a battery charger and batteries would be needed too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.