Aussies Living Simply

Solar Hot Water

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Airgead

Oh yeah… natural gas is the cheap one. If you are on LPG then gas hot water becomes very expensive indeed. Sorry… should have been clearer before.

Fishfood

http://shop.ebay.com.au/merchant/benm5200

he is a friend of a friend

lynnie

Thanks fishfood for the link… I’ve seen these on Alibaba actually awhile ago. I’ll see what hubby comes up with…..

Paradiso

Dave,

can you say more about what the gas boost system is?

any suggestions on brands etc? I’m looking at putting in a gas (without hot water tank)

system which runs on LPG which heats water as it passes the system.

Airgead

Instantaneous gas is OK… if you run it on natural gas. Running on LPG will be very expensive. The instantaneous systems use quite a bit of gas to heat the water quickly as it passes through the system. With the higher costs of LPG you may well find that an electric system is cheaper to run.

The other thing to consider with the instantaneous systems is that some of the units, although advertised as instantaneous, do take a minute or two to warm up so you end up wasting quite a bit of water waiting for the hot to come through.

If you have the roof space (and budget) solar is always cheaper as you are using the sun to replace the needs for a percentage of the gas you would usually burn to heat the water.

Cheers

Dave

Wombat

We had a flat plate collector solar hot water (electric boost) for 25 years and about 12 months ago replaced with evacuated tube style, also electric boost. wow what a difference! we have rarely used the boost, even in the middle of winter. Big tick from us!

Nev

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.