Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Soaps in Business

Home Forums HOMEMADE Soaps and soapmaking Soaps in Business

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lea LeaLea Lea

Hi soap makers, I am curious to hear from those of you that make soap as a business 🙂

How did you feel about the Govt registration plus insurance? Were you worried that you would not cover the expense of just that? Any regrets, or anyone who has not looked back 🙂 🙂 🙂

I would really love to make soaps as a business however do feel a bit apprehensive :blush: I make soy candles and would like to add soaps to my collection.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Leanne

SonyaSonya

Hi Leanne,

I’ve only recently started my soapmaking business full time (taking it from a hobby to a full time occupation), so only new to it all.

But I figured that any business I started would have costs associated and soap isn’t too bad in that department. Low overheads considering I’m a manufacurer, wholesaler and retailer.

It was one in all in when I made the decision – either it stayed a hobby and I avoided all those extra costs, or I bit the bullet and took it on professionally and put all my energies into it.

All going well so far – still heaps of work to do on the business, but stock is moving through so that means there is $$ to buy new materials and pay bills and I get to keep making soap.

We’re adding beeswax furniture polish to our range too – launching that at a major woodworking expo

good luck with it all,

Sonya

shadowdancershadowdancer

I’ve just moved from teaching it to online 😀 I just have to get my word out and keep moving. I want it to begin to move a little faster, so that I don’t have to go work outside the home. Got any tips Sonya?

My business is Luxury Lathers, although google with throw up two of us, one is in NZ and thats not me 😀 😆

Lots of hard work behind me and plenty more to come, but Im in for a penny and in for a pound, and the website is only just up… advertising is the key, but need to get my face out there 😀

I also make stuff for the dayspa industry, and have a wide range of stuff, however, Im a little slow putting it all up on the website…still taking pics etc 😀 And I have a new childrens range coming out in around 6 weeks time, all going well. Just waiting for the “props” to arrive 😀

kerriebkerrieb

Well, I just started out this summer doing a couple of local markets and the odd small wholesale order. I’ve been covering costs and getting more than enough to increase my supplies and buy some equipment I wanted. At this stage I haven’t put a huge amount of time in as I really want to push it hard for next summer. I never wanted to yet I was waiting until DS started school this year. This summer I was always looking at aiming to test out the market and ironing out some kinks.

I also needed to get my name out there and for word of mouth to get around that my soap is very good. Given the comments I’m getting at my stalls, someone at some stage has been selling very bad home made soap locally which has made customers quite wary. I’m very happy I’m getting good feedback consistently and repeat customers.

However a couple of markets a month alone is not going to produce enough income to justify setting up a business. And is not my long term plan.

My next step is setting up my website. That’s my winter project.

chookenschookens

Well done girls. I have just joined but have had my website up and running for a couple of years now. Its not as fast as other mediums but is good when you develop a loyal customer base. :cheer:

I used ziphosting for my domain name and they have reasonable priced websites to suit all needs. I also used their site express which helps you set up the site how you want it. Made it really easy to do and update when you need to. :wave:

Cheers

KarmaKarma

So what sort of regulations are there regarding selling soaps at markets or from web sites. What sort of costs are we looking at?

I am very interested in knowing the full set up costs involved.

shadowdancershadowdancer

Selling soaps, if you make them the CP or HP method require registration with a govt body called NICNAS. If you google it, you’ll find it straight away. If however, you do melt and pour soaps, you won’t have to register, UNLESS you make other things in the ranges of skin care etc.

For registration you will need a Tax ABN, which if you are classed as a hobby, you won’t be able to get, so make sure you say your a business, even if it is a hobby. This way, you will get what you need to register where you need to.

You will need Insurance, for your product, and your public liability should you trade at markets, but if you don’t trade at markets, you will need it for your products, and if you teach, such as I do, I need professional Indemnity insurance as well. All this costs up to approx $1500 per year for insurances, and $395 for NICNAS per year. Its bloody expensive, but if you turn that much over and then some, you’ll be fine.

Good luck with it all. I hope you join us in the ranks of soapers 🙂 It’s lovely to share the journey with so many talented people out there! :tup:

KarmaKarma

It sounds quite expensive, lots of soap would have to be sold to cover those costs, I could see it being a struggle to begin with, hopefully the business would grow in time to recoup those costs.

I love making soap, have people asking all the time do I sell it, so that is what has put the seed there in my mind to give this a go.

shadowdancershadowdancer

Well you know… you could always just give it to them, and if they choose to give you money in return then you didn’t really sell it… :whistle:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.