Aussies Living Simply

Soapmaking info…

Home Forums HOMEMADE Soaps and soapmaking Soapmaking info…

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    LeecyLeecy

Just an update – the tar soap has lightened slightly, is hardening really well and still smells delicious. It’s all cut up now and curing on top of the piano. We cant stop picking it up and smelling it. I tried a little piece of it and its lubly! It has bubbles and lather and nice smell, not drying at all. Definitely recommend this soap!!

LeecyLeecy

Leecy wrote:

Brand spankin new. No marks or anything. It’s resembling tar at the moment :geek:

This is no longer the case… the caustic ate off the non-stick stuff and now it’s all rusty 😆 That’ll learn me for buying a cheap n nasty tin for my bread. :p

GiannaGianna

Leecy wrote:

Leecy wrote:

Brand spankin new. No marks or anything. It’s resembling tar at the moment :geek:

This is no longer the case… the caustic ate off the non-stick stuff and now it’s all rusty 😆 That’ll learn me for buying a cheap n nasty tin for my bread. :p

Where did the non-stick coating go? 😮

LeecyLeecy

:shrug: It’s just not there! I cant see it on the soap either :shrug:

shadowdancershadowdancer

you need to line the tin next time, so keep it, and use it now for your mold. No use having it for cooking now! LOL. I line my tins etc, with a bin liner, just the very cheapy ones, but I have read that you can also use waxed paper, and I have done it in a cardboard box, with good results. 😀

LeecyLeecy

Alrighty, I’m at this again!! I’m down to 4 bars of the last batch I made and I NEED to make some more.

Last time I used cold process as all the oils I used were liquid. This time I’m thinking of using copha or superfry or similar to get a harder (hopefully longer lasting) soap. Do I HAVE to heat all the oils to the same temp or can I just melt the solids then add to the liquid oils? TIA!

GiannaGianna

I melt the solid oils and then add the liquid oils and don’t heat anymore. It’s still called Cold Process soapmaking. Have fun with it. 🙂

LeecyLeecy

Awesome! Thanks G, I was hoping for that answer!! What is the point in making hot process soaps then? Is it just a whole lot of mucking around for nothing or am I missing something?

GiannaGianna

Hot process is very interesting Leecy. I did a batch in the Slow Cooker. Just made it as normal and then cooked it for about half an hour. After it cooled a bit I added essential oils and some extra luxury butters to superfat.

Advantage is you use less essential oils, advantage is that the superfat oils or butters used are more noticeable as chemical process is done, advantage is that you can use the soap virtually straight away.

Disadvantage is the texture for me. A bugger to put into individual moulds, probably better packed into a large wooden mould. The texture is like mashed potato and you have to work fast as it dries out.

LeecyLeecy

Hmmm, maybe i’ll attempt it someday. Sounds a bit tricky and fiddly. :rip: I have to wait a few days for some EO to come in the mail then i’ll be into it! I’ll post some pics as I go.

shadowdancershadowdancer

hehe I need to make some hot process tomorrow I think. No one told me we were out of soap till I went to get into the shower lastnight!!! ugh!!! family! they’re fantastic at not telling critical information! 😆

FarmersWifeFarmersWife

Thanks for posting the recipe and link acouple of pages back. Its the school holidays and I am hoping to make some soap. Would be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. “How to” and receipes, some pics for inspiration. (sorry haven’t quite worked out how to use the site properly yet :shy: )

GiannaGianna

Everything you need to know for starters is on this site (see link).

http://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.au/Recipe-Database-p-186.html

FarmersWifeFarmersWife

Many thanks Gianna for setting me in the right direction. Just had a quick look at the link and have now added it to favourites. Will hop back and read indepth when time permits. Hugs to you :hug:

GiannaGianna

You’re most welcome FW. Have fun. :hug:

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 180 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.