Aussies Living Simply

soap making with wood ash?

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Jaz.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bel

Does anyone know how to make soap using wood ash instead of caustic soda? I’ve been making my own soap from lard rendered from our home grown pig fat which has been great but one step closer to self sufficiency would be to reuse the wood ash from our fire too. Any ideas?

Gaiarule

I believe you need to make lie first, by soaking the ashes in water for a while then sieve out any solid.
    Don’t know the proportion but google is your friend.

Bel

Thanks Gaiarule.  I’ll do some googling….

Jaz

It’s on my list of things to try, have had the ashes from my sisters fire hanging around for a while now, should have my first full weekend without the kids in July so might book it in for then. Have a thing pinned about doing it, will find the link for you Bel.

Jaz
    Jaz

Sorry got distracted by a very tearful 2yo last night and didn’t check the link before posting it, here is the one I meant to post http://www.frontierfreedom.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=105&Itemid=3 🙂

Bel

Thanks Jaz. Will have a look. Let me know if you try it out before i do and how you go.

Jaz

Gave this a go last weekend, wouldn’t call it a huge success but I did end up with a small amount of soft stuff that lathered like soap 🙂 I tried to do it all in a weekend so probably needed to give myself more time, tried the ‘quick lye’ method from the link which was a bit painful and messy, but I did get a solution that dissolved a chicken feather.
    I’m not sure the quality of my ashes were good enough, they had been in the shed a year, possibly rained on and contained lots of screws so goodness knows what my sis was burning, probably pine pallets!
    I think I will try it again, with a proper leaching bucket set up and fresh hardwood ashes. I’ll make a space in the shed, and do it over summer, so the heat can dry out the liquid and hopefully I will end up with the lye in crystal form.
    Have you tried yet Bel?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.