Aussies Living Simply

Soap curing question

Home Forums HOMEMADE Soaps and soapmaking Soap curing question

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    kerrieb

Forestraven have a look at the suppliers on my website one of them may have palm free M&P I’ve never checked.

Forest Raven

Just got the ingredients list for melt and pour soaps by Aussie Soap Supplies (fantastically fast reply!)…but all melt and pour have palm oil in them, no good for the vegan market (I’m not hard core on the palm oil thing in my food, but think I should try and cover my bases).

Might have to out this one out to the vegan forums! Thanks for your help, and I’m still going through those suppliers kerrieb – makes me want to do so many things!

mudhen

Gianna post=326710 wrote:

I know about excitement. 😛 I’ve been making soap for over 3 years now and I still get excited. Did you gel that first batch Mudhen? Cold process or Hot process? Sometimes I test new soap on my hands when it’s a couple of days old and it’s always ok but improves majorly with age. 😉

Gianna, I’m happy with how my soap turned out. The pomace / coconut one is already beautiful, the other with the avocado and castor oils is a bit greasy and I think might take longer to cure properly. Just simple cold process soap, but made with goats milk as my family has issues with excema. I’m hoping to put away a few batches now that will be nicely cured and good for giving at Christmas.

Just another question: is it the ingredients in my soap (namely the amount of olive oil) that make it go gloopy with use? Doesn’t seem to matter how long it cures for (up to 12 months) it is still fairly soft and we have to be careful with it in the shower.

Forest Raven, good luck on your soapmaking journey! Part of my motivation for making my own is trying to cut down on my families palm oil consumption. I had liability insurance a few years ago for kids pottery classes that I was running, and got a good deal from CGU insurance in Qld. From memory less than $400 a year. Pays to shop around, though I’m sure there must be a soapmaking forum out there with that sort of info as well.

Gianna

That’s wonderful Mudhen. If the pomace/coconut one is lovely already, then it will become sensational. The one that is a bit greasy, may have over-heated but time will tell in how it ends up. Sometimes the excess oil re-absorbs.

Re: your soft soap. When I make high or all olive oil soaps, I discount the liquid and this helps to firm up the soap faster. I always un-mould 24 hours later and it’s hard. You will still need to keep your soap on a good, draining soap dish so that it dries out between uses.

Have you tried Hot Processing soap in a slow cooker yet? That’s a whole different ball game too. 🙂

mudhen

Thanks for those bits of advice, Gianna. I’ll let my avocado one sit a bit longer and see how it goes. It had quite a lye smell to it when I unmoulded it but that has gone now. The bars still have some surface grease this morning.

I don’t have a slow cooker as my husband has an aversion to me bringing home any more kitchen appliances! I’d love to get a breville combo slow / pressure cooker but need to wait and see how good my tax cheque is and get all the other priorities out of the way first!

Lindy loo

Hello Gianna, Why not try using fat we have been researching how to make soap and I am about to make my own using tallow (rendered down fat) according to soap scale ratio’s the higher the fat content the softer it is for your skin.

Gianna

I’ve made soap with tallow and also with lard Lindy. Loved the soap. I don’t render my own though so kudos to you for doing so. 🙂

kerrieb

Mudhen you can hot process in the oven too.

mudhen

Thanks for that, Kerrie! I reckon I’ve read about it somewhere along the line, will have to give it a go one day. I have a book I bought years and years ago on soap making before people were doing cold process. It’s pretty detailed with instructions on rendering beef fat into tallow and a good history of soaps and soapmaking in Canada. Will have to pull that out for a more detailed read I think!

kerrieb

http://www.dianesnaturally.com.au/ instructions here mudhen

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.