Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Soap curing question

Home Forums HOMEMADE Soaps and soapmaking Soap curing question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    mudhenmudhen

I made 2 batches of soap yesterday, one lot using the pomace olive oil I was given, and another using regular olive oil, some avocado oil I’ve had in the fridge since buying it AGES ago and some castor oil. This morning it’s looking lovely, the individual ones I made in silicon muffin cups I popped out, they’re soft but hard enough to remove from the moulds.

Now to the question: is it absolutely necessary for my soap to cure on a rack for the next couple of weeks? We’re meeting with a fellow today from overseas (lol he’s my husband’s cousins brother-in-law!) and I would love to be able to give him a few bars to take back for said cousin. If I make a sweet little cardboard box for each bar and wrap them in a bit of cloth before putting in the box, will they cure ok in there? I can put a “don’t use before” label on the box and they can pop it in a drawer or somewhere before using. Any expert soapmaking advice appreciated!

VanessaVanessa

Your idea sounds fine, just make sure that what ever you wrap it in allows the soap to breathe (ie not a airtight seal) because the drying out process makes the soap harder (less mushier) and it will last longer when it gets used

GiannaGianna

Honestly, I wouldn’t. I know you’re excited but pure olive oil soap needs to cure for ages. If I used fresh olive oil soap (after 4 weeks) it would be harsh for me as I find it extremely drying. If I wait at least 6 months, then I can use it. I test every batch of soap before I move it on. 😉

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

The curing time is the time needed to ‘burn off’ any residue lye – caustic soda etc.

You can try it for yourself, but depending on the sensitivity of your skin, you may develop a rash or become itchy. (This is why it becomes a requirement to get a license/insurance if you are selling/making soap for profit – due to the legal issues that may arise)

http://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=saponification&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=cLmYTuTTE-qNiAfgt_ygDA

http://realhandmadesoap.biz/folders/FAQ/what_is_saponification.htm

mudhenmudhen

Thanks for the replies, and re-reading my post I should have said that I used pomace olive oil and coconut oil in the first batch, so it’s not a pure olive oil soap.

That said, I get what you mean about testing before giving away, and yes, I tend to get excited and just want to share the love! I have a few other things I can put together this morning and will let the soap sit in my laundry!

Forest RavenForest Raven

Andre post=326684 wrote: The curing time is the time needed to ‘burn off’ any residue lye – caustic soda etc.

You can try it for yourself, but depending on the sensitivity of your skin, you may develop a rash or become itchy. (This is why it becomes a requirement to get a license/insurance if you are selling/making soap for profit – due to the legal issues that may arise)

http://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=saponification&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=cLmYTuTTE-qNiAfgt_ygDA

http://realhandmadesoap.biz/folders/FAQ/what_is_saponification.htm

I haven’t made any soap as yet, but do plan to in the future to sell in a handmade shop. Can you link info regarding the licencing requirements? I’ve never heard that there were any! :jawdrop:

BelBel

Forst Raven – kerrieb sells soap. Perhaps you can PM her and ask. I think shadowdancer does as well, but I could be mistaken…

GiannaGianna

mudhen post=326685 wrote: Thanks for the replies, and re-reading my post I should have said that I used pomace olive oil and coconut oil in the first batch, so it’s not a pure olive oil soap.

That said, I get what you mean about testing before giving away, and yes, I tend to get excited and just want to share the love! I have a few other things I can put together this morning and will let the soap sit in my laundry!

I know about excitement. 😛 I’ve been making soap for over 3 years now and I still get excited. Did you gel that first batch Mudhen? Cold process or Hot process? Sometimes I test new soap on my hands when it’s a couple of days old and it’s always ok but improves majorly with age. 😉

kerriebkerrieb

Forest Raven if you click on my blog there is an article in there with links to everything I could find regards to selling soaps and the licensing and other requirements. You’re looking at over a thousand a year before selling by the time you pay for a NICNAS fee and insurance, the product liability insurance is expensive.

Forest RavenForest Raven

Hi kerrib, thanks for that info, I had no idea…another hurdle hey? So I have to make stuff that sells from my current supplies to make money to pay for registration, to try and sell (and make a profit) so I can keep on moving onto bigger and better things! Geeze…cottage industry isn’t what it used to be, but I guess it’s all because others have had the bad experiences!

How long have you been soap making? Looks like you have a fantastic set up and beautiful product! :tup:

kerriebkerrieb

Not that long Forest Raven but I’m I qualified as a synthetic chemist and have worked in all sorts of chemistry related jobs for years. So I had a base knowledge and research skills to start with which sort of makes it easier to know what to tweak to get the results I was after. I’ve been selling for about 12 months. So far most of the money has just been going straight back into the business.

No it’s not that easy to do any cottage industry these days as there is always red tape.

shadowdancershadowdancer

Forest Raven, if you only use Melt and Pour soap, to make your soaps and not do any cold process to sell, you don’t have to pay for the NICNAS licence so you’re $400 better off. Its only for people that manufacture, such as using an alkalai with an acid 🙂 We have to pay the same rates as concreter’s! :O

Melt and Pour soap is already made, and all you’re doing is adding your special touches and making it presentable and cute. 🙂 This is another way you may be able to get around to making a little bit of money until you get on your feet.

I’ve been making soaps now for over 10 years, and have only sold now for around 4 or 5, although the insurance issue wasn’t a problem years ago, as it is now.

kerriebkerrieb

Opps forgot that one Shadowdancer as I don’t do melt and pour. I’m too artistically challenged to do a good job of it. The work some people do with it is brillaint.

I was pleasantly surprised my insurance rate didn’t change when I got the renewal last week.

Forest RavenForest Raven

kerrieb post=326751 wrote: Not that long Forest Raven but I’m I qualified as a synthetic chemist and have worked in all sorts of chemistry related jobs for years.

Wow, so you really are an alchemist!! Again, great looking product! 😉

Forest RavenForest Raven

shadowdancer post=326856 wrote: Forest Raven, if you only use Melt and Pour soap, to make your soaps and not do any cold process to sell, you don’t have to pay for the NICNAS licence so you’re $400 better off. Its only for people that manufacture, such as using an alkalai with an acid 🙂 We have to pay the same rates as concreter’s! :O

Melt and Pour soap is already made, and all you’re doing is adding your special touches and making it presentable and cute. 🙂 This is another way you may be able to get around to making a little bit of money until you get on your feet.

I’ve been making soaps now for over 10 years, and have only sold now for around 4 or 5, although the insurance issue wasn’t a problem years ago, as it is now.

Thanks for that kerrieb, I think that may get me started :woohoo: . I did buy a cold process starter kit months ago, as I like to have control over the ingredients. I’ll have another look at the melt and pour, though I do know I can’t (well couldn’t then from that place) buy the melt and pour starter kit because I’m aiming to cater for vegans, and palm oil is an issue for many of them and I couldn’t get a PO free kit…but can get the ingredients separately. Here’s to another step taken in another project!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.