Aussies Living Simply

Shout Box – Part 5

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Shout Box – Part 5

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    ballamara

Hello busylizzie, how are things in your world?

busylizzie

Hi Ballamara, my world has been very hectic up until this week when my hours at work were halved :tup: , I now have time to get back into the garden and catch up with loads of stuff around the house and to cook more for markets, so excited. Hows things with you? 🙂

Bel

Why hello busylizzie!! :wave: A quick hello before I head out the door to help with the kids cooking at school. They’re part of the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden scheme which I love. Great news about your work being halved :tup: More time for gardening and cooking is a good thing. Wish I could do the same. Was lovely to meet you when we were over at Vic recently. Your lemon butter was devine too 🙂

Byeee!

Bobbee

Hiya gals and Steve, :wave:

Here we are back down to a very short forum front page. I do wonder if it is possible to put up one or two full forum pages even if the posts are weeks or months old.

At least it would give folk something to read and maybe add a comment to. How about it admin people, more work for you I realize that but 5 or 6 posts on our ‘upfront’ page is rather poor advertising I believe.

And boring for the regulars.

We are having fantastic weather here in the Valley. Beautiful sunny days around the 20/22 range with some breeze and just made for tempting folk outside and into the garden.

I know I moan about hot and humid weather but 20/22 is just about perfect for me, and warm enough to encourage growth in the garden. Absolutely wonderful.

🙂

froot_loopz

I am absolutey amazed that I didnt lose a chook. One looked like she had curled up to die and was hiding, one I found hiding out in the garden absolutely terrified and the one that was being plucked before my eyes,(half her back was plucked) has got almost all her feathers back.

They are all healthy and eating lots. No eggs but I dont blame them. They are back in their original run and will stay there for now, and they arent complaining at all

Bel

I know what you mean Bobbee. But I wondered whether it’s just a setting that restricts your view? Maybe other people who haven’t visited as recently or change their view settings see more posts? I must have a look.

The weather here has been amazing too – perfect warm clear autumn days. I just wish I didn’t have to work! I’ve got a few beds of brassicas coming along nicely, but will have to replant some more garlic because the chickens got into the beds and dug some up 👿

That’s amazing news about your chickens fruit_loopz! :tup: They can be amazingly resilient. I culled and roasted one of our surplus roosters the other weekend and he was delicious. We’ve got another big boy due to go in the next few weeks too…

I looked at a local pig farm today with a view to getting 2 little piglets for our farm. It was horrendous 🙁 Their were heaps of sows in sow stalls in a big shed with lots of little piglets. All artificial light, concrete floors and an awful smell. The guy gave me the run-down about the sows needing to be in stalls while their piglets are little so they don’t get squashed, but I’d had enough by then and wasn’t saying much. The piglets were biting on the bars in their tiny enclosures and some of the sows had blank looks on their faces. Others were screaming (squealing doesn’t quite do the noise justice). I need to find some free-range piglets, I can’t support that sort of farming practice.

Steve

Hi everyone! 🙂

I’m only seeing eight threads on the front page at the moment. It is very quiet at present but maybe all the topics have run their course. :shrug:

I reckon this is the best time of year. Beautiful weather, not too hot, not too cold. If we get a little bit of rain it will be perfect..

mudhen

Hey!! Looks like we’re back up and running! I’ve been having ALS withdrawals this last week or so. Lots of rainy days here in Adelaide but have been working extra hours and doing too many other things, so my garden is still waiting for me to get the last of the weeds out so I can fertilize and plant.

Steve

Yay! I’m in back too. 🙂

It has been a tough week without.

froot_loopz

Its been gorgeous weather out here mudhen, its hardly rained at all.

Planted 60 garlic the other day, bought some seed potatoes to pop in next weekend, 4 day weekend for me and I cannot wait 😀

ballamara

It is good to have ALS back

froot_loopz

one of my three chookens is laying, exactly one calendar month since the dog go to them  😀

Bel

I’m glad it’s back up too! :-c Good to hear your chook is laying again froot_loopz.  I’m getting 3 eggs a day from about 32 chooks atm…

Bobbee

Well hi folks I finally got back on board with a little help from my friends.   Thanks Hummers and Dan.

It took me a while to find out where to sign out so I reckon it might take me a wee while to work out how

to navigate our new site, but I can handle the  challenge……………………………………………………..I hope!

🙂 >:D<

harry_newitt

6 out of six today… Humphrey the horrible…… rooster departed this lot about 3 weeks ago. Life is a lot more serene in the chook runs since.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 303 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.