Aussies Living Simply

Shout Box – Part 5

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Shout Box – Part 5

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    Bobbee

Congrats for the exam result froot_loopz. :clap:

🙂

Bobbee

Wow and OUCH the forum is shrinking fast, well the ‘front’ page anyway. I have never seen it so sparse.

The cold weather has made an appearance and I am adding layers of clothes. I truly enjoy the cold and the wet weather, we are lucky where we live and don’t have the floods and disasters many other places suffer. (Touch Wood)

So I can happily and cosily curl up in bed with a good book and a hot water bottle and listen to the radio or read. Such Bliss!!!

Going to sleep to the sound of the rain on the roof is another winter pleasure I enjoy and I also like storms, with wind, thunder and lightning. There’s a lot to be said for sitting on the verandah, well rugged up, and enjoying watching the local storms.

🙂

Bel

Hi Bobbee. You’re right – very quiet here of late! It’s also been cold here – so hard to get out of bed in the morning for work 🙁 It was 2 degrees this morning when I left and I had to defrost all the car windows with a bucket of water before I left!

Judi B

I have to agree with Bobbee not a lot of things to read lately……. way back when the site first started there was so much going on that you couldn’t keep up Tullymore always kept us going, bushy was a wealth of info

DH and I still have to get the driveway done so much stresss watching several thousands of $’s go down the creek, we are saving like mad to get it done bit by bit as our health allows.

The weather is cooling down now we’ve had -1.4° and the woodstove has been on so nice and toasty with it.

mudhen

Yes, you start to wonder if this is just a natural demise. People have always come and gone but this is a bit ridiculous.

I too, however am loving winter! Life would be perfect if I could wear summer clothes and eat winter food, I’m sure 🙂 The rain has come and the ground is once again diggable – I even found worms when I was out weeding last! Mummyjas, you are so right about having a snugly furry companion – my little Jack Russell cross is a great snuggler!

Bel

Hi again everyone. I see a few people have popped in for a chat. It’s been cool and wet here too. -1 degrees on my way to work on Thursday! I had chicks due to hatch on Wednesday. Only 1 appears to have hatched 🙁 two others hatched, but got squashed/didn’t make it out of the shell. I don’t know why… at least she’s got one little chick to care for though.

Bobbee

How nice it is to see a few people ‘shouting’ along. Maybe we will start a revival ! Hope so. :cheer:

Our weather is driving Mr Bobbs crazy. Wet and cold and then sunny and quite warm. Today it has been mild and very pleasant and tonight when I ventured outside it was again, a lovely, mild evening. No complaints from me ! ! !

I have a fur ball friend who helps keep me warm too, a real hot water bottle that curls up in the ‘small’ of my back. She arks up a bit if I move around to much though, bossie little thing.

🙂

Bobbee

Hiya Hummers, :wave:

Did you have a good day, a great day or a poo bum wee day?

🙂

froot_loopz

:wave:

not much happening here in the garden lack of funds, studying.

Ive got a sick child, young man(almost 17) hes hardly been sick in his life, throwing up last night, he keep forgetting to breath, he was gasping

Im hoping i dont get that bug, but ive managed to catch my daughters cold, lovely mummys day present that is LOL

froot_loopz

my dog got into my chook yard this arvo. :sigh: may lose one

Steve

I hope your chooks are ok froot_loopz.

I came home from work today to find we had been given some broccoli seedlings but the garden wasn’t ready. So I dug in some mushroom compost I picked up last week from a roadside stall I came across, added some of my own compost and some fertiliser and then planted out the seedlings. Covered them with some netting to stop the caterpillars and watered them in. The garden was chock full of worms when I dug it. Now to sit back and watch the seedlings grow… 🙂

mudhen

Froot_loopz, sorry to hear about your boy – sounds like the bug one of mine brought home a couple weeks ago. He was sick one night, his brother had it 3 days later, his sister 4 days later and then I got it 3 days after her. VERY unpleasant!!! Still two family members to go, but they think they’ve dodged it – sure hope so! I hope your chooks are ok. I would love to get some, but worry about my little terrier getting to them as it would not be a pretty sight.

Steve, how lovely! My seedlings are STILL sitting in their trays, waiting for me to finish weeding the garden patch. Hopefully this weekend it will be done and fertilized too.

I was lucky enough to attend a school camp today in the Adelaide Hills with 3 classes of year 6’s. It was a gorgeous day and the camp was so well set up with activities for free time as well as the planned things. I love how kids who don’t do any chores at home are so thrilled about getting the chance to shovel horse poo and wash dishes!

Bel

How’s your chooken today fruitloopz? And the boy? Can’t remember if I typed it already (forgive me if you’ve heard this story!)…We had a baby shower for my sister the weekend before last and as she’s having a girl, everything was pink/red. The kids were shovelling in the lollies when I wasn’t looking and that night, they both woke within 5 minutes of each other and vomited all over the floor :sick: They felt much better after that, but it sure goes to show that all those nasty colours aren’t good for ones tummies. Fingers crossed you don’t catch your boys bug!

I’ve had a good start on the winter veggies this season (that’s what happens when your summer garden doesn’t do much!). I weeded the garlic beds yesterday and some of the garlic is about 20cm high. I’ve planted 2 beds of brassicas (green/purple broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kohl rabi, red/green cabbage, Asian broccoli) and my broad beans are already flowering :huh: I’ve got 2 beds of peas planted with one more bed to weed and sow. I’ve staggered the planting to try and prolong the harvest. My root veg are powering along, but are in desperate need of a weed. Job for later in the week.

Oh, and my poor drake died on the weekend. We’re pretty certain he was bitten by a snake. One minute he was wandering along, the next he went frantic, flapping his wings and rubbing his neck along the ground. He was paralysed within about 20-30 seconds and died a few hours later. I’m hoping to get another drake later this week for my girls. I thought it was too cool here now for the snakes to be out, but obviously not…

froot_loopz

they seem to be okay.

busylizzie

:wave: Hello lovely people…..

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 303 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.