Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Should I help teach him to read or not?

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Home Schooling Should I help teach him to read or not?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

My DD learnt all her letters and some sight words before school – I couldn’t have stopped her if I wanted to (which I didn’t). She is now reading quite advanced books and loves school. She originally learnt her letters by playing with foam bath letters – she could make words on the side of the bath even when she didn’t have the fine motor skills to manipulate a pencil to write the words. I agree with the advice about learning the sounds of the words and spelling out phonetic words as that is generally what they seem to be teaching in schools. Might also pay to ask at your son’s future school what they will do to accommodate him if he is advanced – I worry that my DD will not get the extra help she needs to be extended. Sometimes the special needs children get much of the help and the more advanced children are expected just to stay back with the rest of the class….

GrethGreth

Oh, god, yes, dont rely on the school to spend much time on his reading!

Dont force him in anyway, but you can sing the alphabet song together, make flash cards of family names and some first words for him to use.

With DD remote schooling, I am finding the 2 year old sitting down with an alphabet book, and clearly singing the alphabet song in tune, just bah, bah, bah, Ellie can only speak a few words!

I learnt to read when my mother was working at home with my older Down’s syndrome brother. I can’t remember not being able to read, or finding it a challenge., and the joy of literature and learning has stayed with me forever.

DS was reading before he went to school too, still a bookworm. His classmates often accuse him of skimming because he turns pages so fast when they have a reading task, no he is reading every word, and understanding it well too (DS is 16 next month)

darlsdarls

Pls do keep encouraging him to explore the text world.

I’ve always got a fingerspelling alphabet chart up in toilet so when they sit doing their business there, they get to practice their alphabet both sound and fingerspelling. 😉

My 5yo son is much more aware of the text world around him than other two older kids were. However my two older kids are big bookworms and can polish off a book less than a day… much to my chagrin – means more trip to library and bookshops!

Create more colouring-in books, buy some workbooks from discount stores for your DS to play in while you get your rest… that’s how I keep my kids off my back “Do 5 pages in your workbook now, kids!” 😆

My DH could read way before he started school and was able to recognise many ‘big’ words and his teacher was so sure she got a gifted boy in her class… not really his mum was zealous with teaching her kids to read before they started school… :geek:

Anyhow, enjoy your time with him before he goes to school.

Cheers! :hug:

kerriebkerrieb

Shadowdancer he may be able to work out which is more or less with low values but alas doesn’t really understand the concept of what it takes to get the money in the first place;). If stuff is only a couple of dollars he thinks he can have as much as he likes. My current arguement that he accepts – is if I bought him everything he asked for HE wouldn’t fit in his room. Only problem with that is he offers to give away his perfectly good toys so he can fit in some new ones. I’ll have a look at that website. I’ve just put him on one my DD liked http://www.starfall.com. He seems to be enjoying that.

Darls I like it 😀 he can do his homework while his sister is. Might result in DD being left in peace to do her 20 min worth.

I’m pretty happy with the school but Greth I am certainly involved in my kids education. School may provide them with a formal education but it certainly doesn’t teach everything they need to learn anyway. I have the same problem as your son, read way faster than most years above my expected level for my age. I read War and Peace in grade 5, although I certainly didn’t comprehend all of it. I’d read all the readers at school and was working my way through the library. Not really sure why they had it in a primary school library LOL.

I don’t like to bug the teachers but if I think there is a problem. I’ll ask if there is anything I can do to help the situation and listen to what they say. I figure no one no matter how good they are can possibly deal with everything 20-25 kids need help with.

Bel good point I might ask one of my DD’s best friends Mums how she is finding the school. DDs friend from what I see is at least 1 if not 2 grade levels above in some of her work. I’ll see ho he’s going and discuss it with them later in the year.

Cheers

Kerrie

GrethGreth

Reading is an enjoyable skill and part of life, I wouldnt hold any child back from learning if thats what they want to do.

Taught DS to read by walking thru carpark, prereading skill was learning all the symbols for different makes of cars.

He got really good at it, even caught Grandpa out one day when driving, dont be silly Grandpa, thats not a Honda its a Mitsubishi. I think that one was before age 4..

Kids can and will learn whatever is around them that is worth knowing. Jessies reading skills are good but not outstanding as a 5 year old, on the other hand she can tell a tiny carrot seedling from a parsley with perfect accuracy..

Plenty of kids learn the names and history of footballers, anything else the family takes an interest in they can soak up like sponges. Let them and encourage them, ya never know what will come in handy.

The only think I deliberately taught DS before he started school was to say ‘ the capital of Iceland is Reykyavik’. Just told him to tell the teacher that anytime the questions started getting hard!

AnastasiaAnastasia

My DD1 is 5yr and 7 months and she is an “early fluent reader” I guess. She is much better than I was at her age anyway! And I didn’t “teach” her at all. What we did was I read to her (A LOT), and she started recognising words. She would pick a word out of a big paragraph and say “that says jump”. She started reading signs when we were out. I thought we’d trial reading eggs and she loved it, so I got a subscription. She finished the maps in a short amount of time, I got some early reader type books (not the boring ones! Avoid them!) and when she asks me to help her with a word I do. She took a little longer to get comfortable with sounding words out, and I don’t blame her, English is not a very phonetic language, but she will do it now. We play word games. I certainly never did flashcards, or sat down and “taught” her letters or words. And definitely let them set the pace, she took a break from it for a month or so because clearly she was processing what she’d learnt.

JakalumaJakaluma

reading is something that children can learn at 2 or at 12, or anything inbetween. When they are ready! So YES, teach them and help them with whatever it is they want to learn.

bellabella

Of course! And have fun! 🙂

billbill

The danger you face is, in actually formally teaching, you may make it less desirable and interesting. If you can encourage by doing things incidentally and avoid flash cards and the like I think you will be doing him a favour. He sounds bright… he will learn despite your’s and school’s best efforts if given the right experiences. I am not saying don’t teach – just keep it low key and in the context of his curiosity.

kerriebkerrieb

Don’t worry Bill I not going to be formally teaching him. I have neither the skills or for that matter the patience. I’m just paying more attention to what he wants and actually helping him a bit. I would also be concerned that if I started formally teaching him and he changed his mind that it might be an issue when he starts school next year. He is bright but as stubborn as anything.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.