Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Sewing / crafting stuff sale

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    HerbmanHerbman

I know we don’t generally like the big stores. But in the interest of thrifty living I thought I should mention that Spotlight are having a big sale where members get $40 off if they spend more than $100.

Membership is free and I wonder whether you would get the discount if you signed up on the spot (or even the day before you bought)? Haven’t read the fine print sorry.

I know all the stuff that this is just a way to get small players out of the market etc. But for some people, the saving may be the difference between making some clothes / gifts etc or not.

So just wanted to alert you guys in case it is of interest.

Not sure if it’s only Qld or all over.

I do not work for, or have shares or other interests in Spotlight (or any retailer for that matter). This is purely a sharing of information thing for those who may be interested and benefit from knowing about the offer.

JadeJade

You can sign up on the spot and still get the discount 🙂 I did that when I joined up.

Are they really trying to muscle out the small shops? That’s so terrible. I wish they could just be happy with their share of the market already – there is enough for everyone! Some people are just way too greedy. At least smaller shops will be able to offer ranges unavailable from Spotlight.. but unfortunately likely at a greater price.

I’m trying to open my own fabric shop online and offering fabrics as cheap as I can, but they still cost a fortune in shipping to bring it here, otherwise we’d all be set!

I heard a lady at Spotlight telling this old couple that bought a ton of wool how they must have been one of the lucky ones because there are over 2 million VIPs and only 300,000 vouchers were mailed out – sounds like a load of bull to me, I reckon they only mailed them to ‘active’ VIPs that have purchased something in the past year or so.

Still, pretty nice discount! Now I just need $100 to spend 🙂

kerriebkerrieb

Jade

I got a voucher can’t remember when I last bought something there so I’m not a particularly active member. Oh hang on yes I can it was last summer I asked from cheesecloth (which was under the counter) as I couldn’t find it. I made the lady laugh when I told her I actually wanted it for cheesemaking.

I don’t know that I’ll use it. I’m not doing much sewing at the moment. Last project hankies for the kids from scraps, as I got sick of tissues in the washing. They have finally worked out you can use them more than once and they don’t go in the bin but the washing. Mind you DS aged 4 was absolutely entralled by sewing these 😆 no idea why except maybe because he got to pick out the fabric he liked?

JadeJade

lol kerrieb! at the tissues thingy, that’s so cute!!

HerbmanHerbman

I managed to spend $100 :shy: . But then I am desperately in need of shirts and shorts – so needed fabric, buttons, zips etc. And I’m always making bits & pieces but have only been sewing for about 6 months so haven’t yet got a stock pile. I am still at the buying a bit extra stage.

We don’t have a lot of alternatives to Spotlight or Lincraft that I’ve come across and I’m a bit of a cheapskate – the fabric I bought was all from the sale rack. I got it all under $8/m. Have enough now to keep me going until at least Easter :shy: And probably enough clothes to get me through another 18 months 😀

DepomeDepome

I would expect them to send them to people who are INACTIVE, to try to get them back in and spending again. We have a new Spotlight store here, about three weeks old now, and I must have been in it at least 10 times in that brief time :shy: I’ve visited plenty of other fabric shops here too in that time 😆

I never got a voucher… but then I’ve spent a fortune there lately. Says a lot. They already know that they get my custom, won’t poach me for any more.

HerbmanHerbman

Hahaha Deborah.

The lady who cut my fabric remembered me from previous visits also. But perhaps there are not many men buying fabric and that’s why she remembered me.

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

I shop at Spotlight regularly and have a VIP card but I never get any mail from them, EVER!!

When I first joined I occaisionally got a brochure in the mail but that was years ago and I haven’t received anything for at least 5 years.

I actually thought they must have stopped mailing things out.:shrug:

Sounds like a good discount, I’m pretty sure I could ‘force’ myself to spend $100 there.:shy:

luvinluvin

i recieved one thru email then got one thru the post,tempted but nah !!!

i intend to use every bit of fabric up before buying more

diannedianne
    Participant

Michelle-sm wrote:

I shop at Spotlight regularly and have a VIP card but I never get any mail from them, EVER!!

When I first joined I occaisionally got a brochure in the mail but that was years ago and I haven’t received anything for at least 5 years.

I actually thought they must have stopped mailing things out.:shrug:

Sounds like a good discount, I’m pretty sure I could ‘force’ myself to spend $100 there.:shy:

you just have to ring or go online and ask to be put on the mailing list and they will start to send you the brochures.

diannedianne
    Participant

Herbman wrote:

Hahaha Deborah.

The lady who cut my fabric remembered me from previous visits also. But perhaps there are not many men buying fabric and that’s why she remembered me.

:lol::lol::lol: I have a lady who remembers me too, that is when I relalised I spend way to much time there.:lol:( we only have spotlight and two little quilting shops which are to far away for me)

ShellBelleShellBelle

I do all my material shopping at the op shop. I make all sorts of stuff out of long dresses that usually only cost $3, tonnes of material was the fashion in the eighties.

Great place to pick up buttons and zippers too. I also enjoy taking an old piece of clothing and redesigning it for the modern world, I have some pretty funky jeans and tops now.

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

I have a membership at Spotlight (my husband got his first though!) and go a few times a year to stock up…I try and support smaller stores, but even middle range fabrics can be $20 a metre…I just can’t justify spending that amount. I hate the idea of smaller guys being forced out, but you also have to do what’s right for you and yours.

Like ShelleBelle I am an op shop fanatic….two of our local op shops have boxes and shelves just for fabric and other sewing bits and bobs. Seems lots of people buy fabric and never use it, so it gets donated. I make quilts so it’s a great source (I am not a purist I don’t always use 100% cotton). I’m currently finishing off a denim rag quilt….have been using our own worn out jeans and purchasing from op shops for the rest…Good Sam often have a 50% off day so I can pick up a good pair for about $2.50.

PS. Herbman..I’ve seen your work here and it’s fantastic…keep sewing! I mess about with quilting and clothes but my husband is the one for the big stuff….he can stitch up curtains like a pro….We also have several guys contributing to the online quilting board I belong to…their work is stunning.

luvinluvin

i so agree op shops are the best,3/4 of my fabric is from op shops

shadowdancershadowdancer

ooohhh ShellBelle, I sooo would luv to see you pics of your overhauls! I want to do some on my jeans but am a little reluctant.

Herbman…I ONLY buy from the sales racks 😀 Im such a cheapskate, but you should see the amount of fabric I have. There are 3 bolts worth under my bed, and 2 bolts in the cupboard. Unfortunately they were all for formal wear, but the daughter, god bless her!!!! changed her mind at the last minute, so I made a quick dash back to spotlight, grabbed the fabric, and made a corset top, skirt and overskirt, wastecoat, tie and hankie for the fella, all for the basement price of around $150, and the manhours of probaby 3 weeks solid stuffing about! 😀 Gotta love those kids! :shrug:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.