Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Seed Potatoes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    busybeebusybee

I am having trouble sourcing seed potatoes at the moment. I used to buy at Flower Power but they are no longer stocking them.

I was wondering if it would be okay to use potatoes from our local organic store instead :shrug: If I do, will I have to wait till they sprout eyes, or can I just put them straight in the garden bed.

Thanks in advance 🙂

COBCOB

Hello Busybee,

We have used bought organic potatoes before when our own seed stock was short. We did leave them to chit before planting. From what I recall no issues at all. They grew well and some of them ended up being our new seed potatoes.

busybeebusybee

Thank you COB 🙂 I will try to get some tomorrow.

How long till they started sprouting before you planted them?

COBCOB

From memory it took several weeks. Some we may have left up to six weeks. We normally leave them in a crate in the laundry where it is light but not direct sunlight and then sort through to find the ones that have good shoots on them and plant them first. Then go back in a couple of weeks and plant the rest.

In the supermarket they will discount any orgainic potatoes that are shooting. I’ve looked out for them in the past as they can be a real bargain.

Hope yours grow well.

busybeebusybee

Thank you for all your help! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.