Aussies Living Simply

Seed Companies

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    KristyKristy

I was just about to place an order for potatoes and guava trees from Diggers, until I saw that shipping is $17. I couldn’t work out how they came to that figure, but finally worked out they charge $8.50 for plants and $8.50 for bulbs, hence $17.00. Sounds a little steep to me as I know I can go to Bunnings and get the same things for around the same price, plus with the extra $17 buy an extra couple of plants…

I just prefer to support a company like diggers rather then bunnings. Not sure what I will do now…

PeterDPeterD

It is easy. Don’t buy from Diggers.

Buy what is cost effective and reasonable shipping and do not support them when shipping is outrageous or pricing or stock is out of line.

Ineffective lines or shipping methods will hurt their bottom line and they will be forced to respond.

Vote with your wallet in all things, that’s what I say and that is the power of the consumer.

Cheers,

PeterD

AbbysMumAbbysMum
    Participant

Agreed PeterD and Kristy go to you local market and see if you have someone local able to supply you with what you want. You could also ask on here, it is anazing what people have in there own backyards which they maybe willing to SELL you. I think this is a wonderful source this forum here and instead of expecting something for nothing some payment would be nice. Some barter is also a good thing and then, we are not giving to the rich again.

Just my thoughts

Susan

PeterDPeterD

I go to my local market, once a month and always go through the plants. 🙂

But good suggestion, my area is small with about 600 people living there so our market is very small as well.

Cheers,

PeterD

Hi,

I am an older gardener and have used many seed companies over the years and settled on a couple now Southern Harvest and Phoenix. Both have good germination and unusual and standard items.

I have always received prompt delivery with Southern Harvest and they even answer questions. They have a great vatiety of heirlooms and some newer varieties. The heirlooms were new once remember so do not discount them. They do extensive trials to work out the best flavoured varieties to.

Happy growing.

Max

KristyKristy

How do you order from Phoenix? I notice that they don’t have a website.

Thanks

Kristy

FozzieFozzie

I think you call them, leave a message on their answering machine with your address and they mail you out a catalogue. I’m pretty sure that’s how I got my catalogue… No idea how I found the contact details though sorry!

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Phoenix seeds, Tasmania

03 62679663 (messages)

PO Box 207

Snug Tas 7054

Fax 03 62679592

Are these the right details Foz?

FozzieFozzie

*shrugs*

I guess…. it’s been ages since I called them! 🙂

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Ok then, are the company in Tassie? If they are then these are the details (thanks to my friend google)

earthworm42earthworm42

Hi,

yes Diggers is only a last resort 🙁 most others are a bit of hit and miss affair too as they buy seed from 3rd parties with no quality procedures.

the ones i use are:

Eden seeds

Green harvest

Cornucopia Seeds

seedsavers network is another option.

AbbysMumAbbysMum
    Participant

Yes Lizzy,

it is how I got a copy of the catelogue, I emailed and asked for one, and then by return email it was sent 🙂

KristyKristy

Abbysmum, do you remember the email address by any chance?

Thanks

Kristy

AbbysMumAbbysMum
    Participant

Yep Earthworm,

those are the ones I have used on a regualar basis and too many people have told me recently they are not renewing theor Diggers membership for me to consider going back to them. I am also pleased I have found Phoenix and Southern Seeds also.

Thanks to all

Susan :hug:

AbbysMumAbbysMum
    Participant

Ohhh your so in luck Kristy heheheh

phnxseed@ozemail.com.au

that was the email addy on which the catelogue arrived and if you like I could forward one to you *shrug* Upto you 🙂

Susan

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.